Wii Fit vs. Scale

Options
I am wondering if any one else weighs on a Wii Fit balance board? It's all I have and I just wonder if a scale would be more accurate? My mother has a digital scale and it shows my weight to be a few pounds higher :grumble: I'm just wondering which one I should trust.

Replies

• FitGirl329
    FitGirl329 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Trust the scale. We moved a couple of months ago and all I had was the wii board when we moved in. My Tanita scale (which is very accurate) was at my mom's. It turns out that the wii fit measures me 3-4 pounds less. I was seriously disappointed. My Tanita gives me the same measurement consistently if I step off and back on. And it was the same as the doctor's scale the other day when I went.
  • raechellg
    raechellg Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    i use the wii fit because i am to cheap to go out and spend any money on a scale and i like that it automatically tracks everything for you.. i figure even if it's not exact i can still track my weight loss (or any gains).. maybe someday i'll get a better scale lol
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    If the Wii scale is consistent that's fine. You're looking for change not the exact number.
  • APawli1224
    APawli1224 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    The fit board is about 10lbs off on carpet and 4lbs off on hard wood flooring..
  • diybride
    diybride Posts: 16
    Options
    If the Wii scale is consistent that's fine. You're looking for change not the exact number.

^^This^^
  • jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I measure my scale vs. Wii fit come weigh in time and its always spot on, but I have mine on a raised heavy wooden board.
  • laurie571
    laurie571 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    mine is the same on the carpet. i use the bathroom scale
  • mlynnea03
    mlynnea03 Posts: 41 Member
    Options

I experienced the same difference. The wii board didn't believe it was me when I moved it to the bare floor, lol. I'm not worried about the number because I'm consistently losing, but I can at least prepare myself for a slightly higher number when I go for a Dr's visit.
  • scottg1024
    scottg1024 Posts: 224
    Options
    I've been using the Wii Fit board for over two years on the same hardwood floor. I can tell you it's consistent. As for how it compares to anywhere else, I wouldn't know because anywhere else isn't going to be me, first thing in the morning, standing in boxers. So as far as I'm concerned, its the movement of the scale from time period A to time period B that matters.
  • notmac
    notmac Posts: 89
    Options
    What is happening is what is important, unless you are at the point that you are not trying to loose weight. If you are looking to be loosing, what you are looking for is that downward trend.
  • squeaker87
    squeaker87 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    It's definitely consistent, and I'm thrilled when it moves down. I don't suppose it matters too terribly much, I just noticed that my mom's had a different number and I was wondering which was more likely to be accurate. I'll probably keep using my Wii Fit. It at least lets me know if I'm losing or not. Which is the most important thing! :smile: Thanks everyone for the input!
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options

THIS ^^^

No one should really care about what the number on the scale says... as long as you use the SAME scale each time. You're looking for progress and change!
  • tr33p1g
    tr33p1g Posts: 85
    Options
    Doesn't matter as long as consistency is maintained i.e same scales, same surface etc. Most scales tend to read differently, thats why you should stick to the same set.
  • super_monty
    super_monty Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    The only scales I trust are the big expensive looking ones at the gym.

Even using the sames bathroom ones at home can churn out inaccurate readings.
  • playbyte
    playbyte Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I agree with the comments above.

Consistency of machine is the key because you are looking at the loss week on week. Remember when you go to the Dr's they will weigh you on their machine and as long as it is the same one as the previous measure then your loss should show about the same.

No doubt you will be weighing at a different time to when you do it at home so take that into account as well.
  • neka3800
    Options
    ^^i agree^^
  • GuruOnAMountain
    GuruOnAMountain Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I agree with the consistency thing.

Also, I use my Wii Fit because if I had scales in my house I'd never be off them and my weight would end up as an obsession! At least with the Wii, I can't just jump onto it, as I have to plug it in, start it up, go through all the on screen stuff. Plus, it is in the living room so there's only certain times of the day I could use it anyway eg. when other family members aren't watching TV.

Also, when I got weighed in at the doctors, the Wii scale was accurate to my Doctor's scale. :)
  • 1MandM1
    1MandM1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    My Wii Fit is the same as my scales so I use that :) It's more precise than my scales too, which is a bonus!
  • amystyran
    amystyran Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    make sure its on a flat surface, and i never take my weight loss on what it says on that bar it shows you, i go to the graph (next to your calender), click 'weight', and it gives you your actual weight :) much more precise! hope this helps :)
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    I personally use my Wii Fit and it was about as accurate as the doctor's office was but I'm getting a better scale next week so I guess we shall see