How to tighten up skin after significant weight loss

Options
I have lost 50 lbs & am in my mid-40s. By the time I'm done, I'll have lost 100+ lbs. I have noticed some loose skin && have been applying cocoa butter lotion daily & taking a vitamin E supplement. What else can be done? I don't want surgery & probably not in my budget either. Suggestions? Who else on here has lost a large amount of weight? How long were you overweight? How fast did you lose it? How old were you? How long did it take for skin to retighten? What did you do to help it?

Replies

• korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Not much you can do for it, work on toning and drink lots of water. I hear the water helps a lot. Good luck.
  • lu136mickey
    Options
    Don't know either but congrats on your weight loss
  • RockaholicMama
    RockaholicMama Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I've heard water and strength training. I really hope that's right because that's what I'm going with.
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I've taken this up with my doctor. In the end, it's live with it or get surgery to remove the loose skin. Not an option I'd choose, though I'd support anyone that did. Sorry. Try not to think about the skin and be proud of your achievements. Congratulations.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Lose the weight slowly to give your body time to adjust. Rapid loss of large amounts generally leads to excess skin.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Lift weights. Strength / resistance training is your best friend, and slow, steady weight loss. Losing weight rapidly is what leads to a large amount of loose skin. Although it's not always entirely avoidable, if you do the things I suggested, I'm sure it will help keep it to a minimal amount. Depending on genetics and elasticity of your skin, it may tighten back up over time. Taking care of it like you are is also a good idea! :)

Congrats on your progress and good luck on achieving all your future goals!!! :heart:
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,004 Member
    Options
    I am 49 lost 105 lbs it took me 21 mths, I was overweight for about 12 yrs. I have some lose skin but I am drinking lots of water, getting regular massages(heard this helps and if it doesnt well if helps with my fibromyalgia), using nivea skin tightening lotion, doing weight resistance exercises using my body, weights, kettlebells, bike riding, I have noticed that the skin is getting better, so I plan on just keep working on it . I hope this helps and congrats on your weight loss
  • FoodPwnr
    FoodPwnr Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I've taken this up with my doctor. In the end, it's live with it or get surgery to remove the loose skin. Not an option I'd choose, though I'd support anyone that did. Sorry. Try not to think about the skin and be proud of your achievements. Congratulations.

Wowie 107 pounds ...now that is impressive...gratz
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Strength Training, Drink PLENTY of Water, and Be Patient. Your skin will shrink some, although you will NEVER have tight skin.
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Lose the weight slowly to give your body time to adjust. Rapid loss of large amounts generally leads to excess skin.
    Define rapid. I'm dropping a steady 2 pounds a week with the occasional higher week.

Everyone else - thanks for the link, tips, praise & encouragement! Hugz to you all!
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Weight training and slow weight loss is how I did it.
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I'm 53 and my poor body has had a lot of excess weight to put up with for decades. I'm left with quite a bit of loose skin - although it is improving bit by bit - however, I have the attitude that the extra weight was killing me but the extra skin won't.

Good luck and congrats on your progress x
  • jinjin8
    jinjin8 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I agree with those above suggesting lots of water and weight training. I would also suggest a fish oil supplement if you aren't already taking one.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Time is really the only thing that can help beyond genetics.
  • noogie98
    noogie98 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I'm 53 and my poor body has had a lot of excess weight to put up with for decades. I'm left with quite a bit of loose skin - although it is improving bit by bit - however, I have the attitude that the extra weight was killing me but the extra skin won't.

Good luck and congrats on your progress x

^^ This ~ and what a great way of looking at it, tiarapants! I love your attitude!!