Do you use a heart rate monitor?

Options
13»

Replies

• SanjiSun
    SanjiSun Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I mostly use mine to take care that I never drop below a certain hr in my breaks during my strength training.
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Yep. Bought a Polar about 6-7 years ago and it is still kicking like a champ! Have only had to have the battery replaced once (Batteries Plus did if for me for like 7 bucks.) Worth every penny!

I never trust gym machines or MFP's estimates. I always use my HRM numbers.
  • DaniJeanine
    DaniJeanine Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    DEF! I'm so glad I do...the MFP readings are too low and the estimated readings on cardio machines are too high. As long as you have a chest strap the HRM is the most accurate way to go
  • moonlightturk
    Options
    For the love of everything holy, NO.

I returned mine few weeks ago. I lost most of my weight without one, and using one just slowed me down. I understood it gave me accurate results, but I don't need to focus on anymore numbers or depend on them.

Ding Ding Ding! That's it right there.

This HRM hype has turned exercise upside down. Exercise is pure. An activity you do to change yourself for the better. It's not about this mythical "burn". Lift heavy things to change your both your bodies capabilities and it's shape. Do cardio to improve your endurance. The number that MFP or your HRM spits out about your calories burned has no significance. Get stronger/faster/better while eating sensibly and you will succeed.

But I see thread after thread on here where people bicker about a 100 calorie difference in an exercise log. Or where they ask which activity has the highest burn rate? WHO CARES? Pick the activity you like, and get better at it. You can run 2 miles? Good, now try to run 3 miles? And then try to run it in a faster time. You can bench 185? Good, now put 2 plates on the bar. Now gimme 5 more reps. If you go about your business like this, I promise you that you start liking what you see in the mirror.

Whether you burned 350 cal, or 425, or 1000 won't make a whit of difference. Instead of going after a monster 800 calorie burn, get a 300 cal burn at something you enjoy and don't put cream or sugar in your coffee. Same difference.

^ This guy is pure genious, ecspecially the last 3 sentences. Take notes!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    For the love of everything holy, NO.

I returned mine few weeks ago. I lost most of my weight without one, and using one just slowed me down. I understood it gave me accurate results, but I don't need to focus on anymore numbers or depend on them.

Ding Ding Ding! That's it right there.

This HRM hype has turned exercise upside down. Exercise is pure. An activity you do to change yourself for the better. It's not about this mythical "burn". Lift heavy things to change your both your bodies capabilities and it's shape. Do cardio to improve your endurance. The number that MFP or your HRM spits out about your calories burned has no significance. Get stronger/faster/better while eating sensibly and you will succeed.

But I see thread after thread on here where people bicker about a 100 calorie difference in an exercise log. Or where they ask which activity has the highest burn rate? WHO CARES? Pick the activity you like, and get better at it. You can run 2 miles? Good, now try to run 3 miles? And then try to run it in a faster time. You can bench 185? Good, now put 2 plates on the bar. Now gimme 5 more reps. If you go about your business like this, I promise you that you start liking what you see in the mirror.

Whether you burned 350 cal, or 425, or 1000 won't make a whit of difference. Instead of going after a monster 800 calorie burn, get a 300 cal burn at something you enjoy and don't put cream or sugar in your coffee. Same difference.

^ This guy is pure genious, ecspecially the last 3 sentences. Take notes!

Love your latest pic. :)
  • GabyG69
    GabyG69 Posts: 213
    Options
    No. Sadly since I've started on my journey, I haven't been able to afford one, but it seems as though I'm doing quite well without it.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    What makes everyone think they are accurate?

They measure heart rate, not calories burned....
    But they're accurate at measuring heart rate, which is what I'm primarily interested in. I find RPE too subjective and I'm interested in tracking HR stats as my fitness continues to improve.

Since I eat at a fixed deficit from TDEE, I don't eat back exercise calories, so the calorie burn indicated by my HRM is just a peripheral stat. The fact that it may be off 100 calories or so either way really makes no difference to me.
  • jesshall281
    Options
    I used to do 20 minutes on the treadmill and only burn 120 calories or so...I got a heart rate and did 30 minutes and it showed 300. So a massive difference there!