working night shift?

Options
2»

Replies

• AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I am only on night shifts randomly at different jobs, as I travel to different parts of the country throughout the year. I have been on the night shift a lot this year, and I have yet to find a schedule that works for me either. I either work 6pm to 6am or 9pm to 9am. The latter shift is the worst for me. I don't eat normally, and working out doesn't seem to work. What does work for me though is eating in moderation and drinking a lot of water. I'm the type that needs to eat about 6 small meals or more a day, but nightshift to me means eating one meal after I wake up, and some sort of meal overnight. I'm not fond of it at all, as I feel like I can't find my 'rythym'. Beside that, it SUX for any kind of a social life or fun! I work 72 hours a week, not counting travel time to and from work! I feel your pain, and am ALWAYS looking for a better way!

okay, as i get more into the swing of this then, I will let you know what works and doesn't for me. I have to eat every two to three hours as well, so that has been so hard!

I also eat every two or three hours.
  • Doesntplaynice82
    Doesntplaynice82 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I posted something similar a few days ago. I have tried both ways of logging food and found midnight to midnight to work best for me. I set my alarm to get exactly 8 hours of sleep, force myself to get up, eat a small snack and then go workout. I find that if I set an alarm and stick to it i can usualy wake up before the alarm. Of course this whole schedule gets thrown off when I am forced to go to court in the morning and on sundays when I direct traffic from 8am - 1pm. I keep falling off the wagon but I always get back up!
  • theactionfigure
    Options
    @Doesntplaynice82

. . . at least you have some type of a system! I've only been on here a couple of days, but I've been logging food like 'normal' people. The problem is that I don't eat on a 'normal' pattern anymore. I like that you eat light and then go work out right when you get up. I'm thinking that would be best for me in my situation as well. I know that once I create the habit I've got it beat!

Any of you nightowls feel free to add me if you like, I'm going to try to be as dedicated to the site as I can.

LET'S DO THIS!
  • Doesntplaynice82
    Doesntplaynice82 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Yeah I don't eat on a normal pattern either. I get up around 2 or 3 pm, go to the gym and get home by 3 or 4....I really want to eat my "breakfast" then but my boyfriend doesnt get home until 6 or 630 so i don't want to eat and then he has to eat alone.

I am still trying to find a schedule....I just wish I could get back on dayshift!!!
  • theactionfigure
    Options
    Yeah I don't eat on a normal pattern either. I get up around 2 or 3 pm, go to the gym and get home by 3 or 4....I really want to eat my "breakfast" then but my boyfriend doesnt get home until 6 or 630 so i don't want to eat and then he has to eat alone.

I am still trying to find a schedule....I just wish I could get back on dayshift!!!

AMEN!
  • texasfred
    texasfred Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Working "non-traditional" hours can be very awkward for setting a schedule. I am working to maintain my diabetes at a healthy level more than weight lose...although weight lose for me would be a very good thing! I was using another site until it became awkward to use on my phone. Just started this site and I like that I can track my actual food intake instead of using an educated guess! I track my meals as I eat them under the name for people on a regular shift, even tough my day comes in this order: Dinner, Lunch then Breakfast. It has proven useful for me because with eating breakfast at the end of my day, it sends me to bed with a light intake shortly after breakfast. I love reading other peoples approach and very glad to see when someone finds something that works for them! By the way, I work Midnight to 7 AM, 5 to 7 days a week, and have for a number of years now.
  • zumbatastic
    Options
    I work rotating shifts and there's no rhyme or reason to our shifts. When I work midnights I log my breakfast as the first meal when I get up (even if that is 2 in the afternoon), then go on from there. It works for me. Trying to log my meals the way "normal people" eat, didn't work at all with my messed up hours. I am up for any friends who have messed up hours like me...or law enforcement, military, or EMS friends encouraged!! Give me a shout :-)