Low Fat or Low Carb. Which is better and why?

Options
If a person keeps their fats to mostly unsaturated ones and a person keeps most of their carbs to fruits&veggies, which diet will have the best results (nutritionally) in the long run if protein levels are properly maintained for a normal bmi?

Replies

• ninjakowski
    Options
    I honestly think on it depends on the person. I grew up in a vegetarian househould, relatively low in fat but also probably fairly low in protein. Plenty of carbs in the form of rice, pasta, bread etc. I was always skinny as a rake.

Even now, when I go home and eat like that for a few weeks (I live overseas at the moment) - I lose a ton of weight.

I have have been struggling a bit since joining MFP with the 'eat less carbs, more protein'....it doesn't feel good for me.

I just dont think my body works that way. I put on weight from too much processed food, too much deep fried and fast food, and too much junk food. In other words, bad fats.

I'm no expert. Just my experience. I don't think carbs are a problem for me. I know other people who swear that too many carbs make them fat.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    If a person keeps their fats to mostly unsaturated ones and a person keeps most of their carbs to fruits&veggies
    is this the same person - you can do both as this isn't a low fat vs low carb scenario it's about types of fats and carbs with no reference to relative quantities.
  • SibylDiane
    SibylDiane Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    My dad did low carb/high protein for several years and did a fantastic job with keeping a normal BMI. He also ended up with skyrocketing cholesterol and eventually found himself on an operating table getting his rib cage cracked open for an emergency quadruple bypass. I'm sticking with low fat, myself!
    PS he's now given up the low carb/high protein thing and is eating low fat/low calorie and has excellent BMI, cholesterol, blood pressure, etc. I know this is anecdotal and not scientific proof of anything but when it hits so close to home, it's hard to ignore, at least for me.
  • catmcknight
    catmcknight Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the person too. My whole family has insulin issues. We definately do better with low fat protiens (like chicken and fish) than carbs.... when we do have carbs, it's usually not the white ones (like sugar, potatoes, white flours, etc) but instead opt for whole grain stuff, like steel cut oatmeals, whole wheat/whole grain and dark breads. Insulin resistance is such a pain when you're trying to lose weight. I had to change my goal ratios a bit to accomodate. I do 40% carbs 30% protien and 30% fats. I always come in under my fat numbers and a bit over on protien but that seems to be working better for me than the default of 55% carbs.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    The best diet is the one you will stick with and accept as a lifestyle change. I eat fairly high carb and it is easy for me to follow through with it. I eat a lot of fiber rich foods which keep me full, like beans which are a staple of my diet. I don't eat many processed/refined carbs due to my PCOS/IR but I am fine with what I can eat. (Sprouted grain bread vs sourdough, brown rice vs white rice, etc). I also have gallstones so a lower fat diet keeps that in check.