Getting Weights In?

Okay so I love doing weights & cardio... but I hate doing weights at the gym. Not because there are men there, there are plenty of women in the weights section of my gym, it's just because I can't help but notice people looking at me, and it HATE that. Plus, when going from machine to machine - I'll always end up with someone waiting for me or me waiting for them. Weights at the gym just isn't for me.

What can I do at home for weights? I love the have the guidance from a dvd. I do P90x shoulders & arms, would it be bad to do only this? Cause I don't have pull-up bars ect ect to do the other P90x strength videos... I do 30DS sometimes but it isn't fully weights so I don't count it.

Basically... has anyone come across good dvds for weight training? :D

Replies

• sandyinsc
    sandyinsc Posts: 70 Member
    Bump .... :flowerforyou:
  • Bump .... :flowerforyou:

• Okay so I love doing weights & cardio... but I hate doing weights at the gym. Not because there are men there, there are plenty of women in the weights section of my gym, it's just because I can't help but notice people looking at me, and it HATE that. Plus, when going from machine to machine - I'll always end up with someone waiting for me or me waiting for them. Weights at the gym just isn't for me.

What can I do at home for weights? I love the have the guidance from a dvd. I do P90x shoulders & arms, would it be bad to do only this? Cause I don't have pull-up bars ect ect to do the other P90x strength videos... I do 30DS sometimes but it isn't fully weights so I don't count it.

Basically... has anyone come across good dvds for weight training? :D

You need a gymboss timer
    A set of resistance bands
    Your body weight
    You Tube - full body work out using resistance bands
    You Tube - callisthenetics - bodyweight body workout
    Only thing a DVD of weight training will do is stop you spending money on the equipment you need - like a pull up bar
    You Tube - Plyometrics
    You Tube - functional patterns

You can create weights, anything heavy is a weight. Anything you strain to lift is strength training. Like the end of a couch or a bed. Dining room chairs to do tricep dips, dining room chairs for shoulder workouts.

nowloss.com has great instructional videos and workouts which cover - strength, stamina, balance, plyometrics.

Use the search function on this site - weight training at home is well covered
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    what about chalene extreme?
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    OR, you could suck it up, and stop worrying about anyone else.... Chances are you're just self conscious and no one is actually watching you, but you think they are...... Go to the gym, lift heavy, screw everyone else, it doesn't matter what they think.
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    OR, you could suck it up, and stop worrying about anyone else.... Chances are you're just self conscious and no one is actually watching you, but you think they are...... Go to the gym, lift heavy, screw everyone else, it doesn't matter what they think.

I agree... having the option to lift heavy with a range of weights/ machines at the gym will be far more advantageous in the long term than the dvds...
  • what about chalene extreme?

Thanks! I've just picked that one up :)
  • I bought a total trainer. It can be folded up and stored easily. I know it may not be as good as a free weight system. It takes up far less room though. You can do lots of various exercises as well.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member

I agree... having the option to lift heavy with a range of weights/ machines at the gym will be far more advantageous in the long term than the dvds...

I'm with these two.

When I lift at the gym, people stare all time.. and I say let them stare.

Maybe try going at a different hour when it's less crowded and there are less people.