Loose Belly skin (how do you tone it)? HELP please

Options
Hi.

I've been on here a year now and been running / cycling for two years plus. I've come down from 18 stone to 13 and I am much fitter.

I ran a marathon this year in 3:30 and I am happy with my progress.

The only problem is I have a bit of loose skin around my belly (where th beer and fat used to be)

I dont do any weights or sit ups or stomach toning I just do cardio and lots of it.

I have sort of resigned myself to the fact that it might shrink over time and if not I'll live with it, but I would love to have a flat stomach thats a bit toned.

I'm 46 so I realise the mid twenties 6 pack is probably not a realistic goal but I am hoping I can lose the loose overhang

Is there anybody who's had the same problem and can I do anything to sort it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks regards

Weathers58

Replies

• abibt
    abibt Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I probably had less stretched skin, but definately some after 2 kids - core strength yoga is fantastic for whole body sculpting. Try Sadie Nardini - if you sign up to her 14 day course on Daily Om, you get access to her 90min body sculpt video which has worked magic for me over the last 4 months of practice 5 times a week. Good luck!
  • Mabohlale
    Mabohlale Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    :cry: Sorry ... hate to be the one to tell you ... but depending on how stretched out you had yourself and how much elasticity your skin has ... you can't tone the loose skin. You can tone the muscles under it. But the skin is there to stay unless you have surgery. :grumble: Sad fact - especially at our age. But ... on the plus side ... I'd rather have a bit of loose skin then the fat I had before! :happy:
  • carefulkate
    carefulkate Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Pilates is great for core x
  • shivaslives
    shivaslives Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    :cry: Sorry ... hate to be the one to tell you ... but depending on how stretched out you had yourself and how much elasticity your skin has ... you can't tone the loose skin. You can tone the muscles under it. But the skin is there to stay unless you have surgery. :grumble: Sad fact - especially at our age. But ... on the plus side ... I'd rather have a bit of loose skin then the fat I had before! :happy:

this is the unfortunate reality of the situation. No amount of core strengthening can replace the lost elasticity of your skin. It only serves to strengthen the muscle and further reduce fat. You can try some skin toning products but they will have very limited results. Abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) is really the only solution and not desirable or viable for most.

Congratulations on your great results though.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    You don't as others said.. if it's really lose skin, surgery is the only option.

Had you lifted while losing, you prob. would have had less loose skin due to muscle being retained, but you still would have had some depending on how much you lost.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    It takes two years post loss to have a clear idea of how bad the loose skin issue will be long term. You were never particularly big, so I doubt the doom and gloom picture will entirely apply to you!

I do think incorporating some weights will help. You can get along way with bodyweight based resistance if you don't fancy the gym. Google 'you are your own gym' and look up bodyrock tv. I know as a runner you won't want to bulk, but unless you're eating an awful lot, doing resistance alongside your endurance training, that really won't happen.

As I understand it, also, what is often described as loose skin can also sometimes be last bits of fatty deposit that still needs burning off.

I guess the message is be patient and incorporate some strength work.
  • ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Sorry to jump in on the thread but I'd also like to know any tips for reducing the amount of skin I will have at the end of my weight loss journey... Does toning a core work help the skin if you do it while your losing the weight?
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Weightlifting is your best bet, but a lot of it is down to genetics. Your skin is more or less elastic depending on your genes. Mostly the problem only creeps in for people with a significant amount of weight to lose.
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    You don't as others said.. if it's really lose skin, surgery is the only option.

Had you lifted while losing, you prob. would have had less loose skin due to muscle being retained, but you still would have had some depending on how much you lost.

lifting while losing would not have made a difference, except to the muscles underneath. Over time, it firms a little, but not much. as others have said it comes down to genetics and age, and how stretched the skin was and for how long...I feel your pain, down over 80 pounds and had 4 pregnancies...it will never be a bikini for me!
  • ebony__
    Options
    I have about 70 - 80lbd
    And yeah I'd rather the skin than the fat,,,
    I'm 23 ... Hopefully there is still enough youthfulness to my skin for it to bounce back a bit * optimism *
  • DaniU617
    DaniU617 Posts: 87 Member
    Options

lifting while losing would not have made a difference, except to the muscles underneath. Over time, it firms a little, but not much. as others have said it comes down to genetics and age, and how stretched the skin was and for how long...I feel your pain, down over 80 pounds and had 4 pregnancies...it will never be a bikini for me!

Oh boy do I know what you are talking about! I have 2 things against me: Genetics and I have had 6 children in 9 years... so my body has been stretched to the extreme! I finally realized that I will never have the perfect bikini body either and I am okay with that. I may have surgery down the road to get rid of the excess, but for now I am just focusing on losing the weight :)
  • ebony__
    Options
    @ dani
    73lbs lost
    Wow that's amazing congrats . Very inspirational ;) x
  • DaniU617
    DaniU617 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    @ dani
    73lbs lost
    Wow that's amazing congrats . Very inspirational ;) x

Thank you very much! I have worked very hard this past year and have achieved way more than what I though I could! I <3 MFP and all the ppl that are here to support me along my weight loss journey!!

If I can do it you can to!!!
  • chicpeach
    chicpeach Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I know that essential fatty acids omega-3 and omega-6 are beneficial to skin elasticity. They may help some, although I don't think they are a total solution by themselves.
  • vtachycardia
    Options
    Buy a medicine ball that you can throw against a wall. Practise twisting motions whilst throwing the ball and catching it, this will activate your core and gradually build muscle and that muscle should start to fill the loose skin (theory). As you are a runner, I would avoid all forms of supine crunches to develop abs.

You probably do not like weight training or think it is boring so ideally you need to find ways to train for strength that is not just push-pull lifting. A personal trainer may help with a training plan that keeps you interested.

Rather pursue these avenues than submit to surgery, IMO. But if surgery it is then, then it will have to be.
  • Mabohlale
    Mabohlale Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    After I had lost 90 pounds, I was 116 pounds (at 5'3") but still had loose skin - tummy flap. At that point I got pregnant and I am a C-section gal. So while the doctor was cutting my skin open on my abdomen (sorry to be so graphic) he said to me, "There is not an ounce of fat on your body!" While that was an encouragement ... it was hard for me to realize at that point ... that nothing I could do would get rid of that 3 inches or so of skin that was hanging there. =(
  • Selma10001984
    Selma10001984 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Develop the habit of eating some liver a few times a week...it will take some of it....but you shouldn't have any dairy products 3 hours prior or after you eat it as it will cancel out the effect...
  • tam_a_ram_a
    tam_a_ram_a Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Has anyone heard of using Preparation H on loose belly skin? I'd post this in a new topic, but I can't seem to find the new topic button that's supposed to be in the upper right hand corner.
  • monjacq1964
    monjacq1964 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    if you have stretch marks, that means the skin is damaged, and will not shrink back to its former glory. Time may help. Surgery will help.
  • monjacq1964
    monjacq1964 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Develop the habit of eating some liver a few times a week...it will take some of it....but you shouldn't have any dairy products 3 hours prior or after you eat it as it will cancel out the effect...

how does that work? I can't think of a scientific reason for liver shrinking belly skin.