Work is the hardest place to diet.

Options
I work in an office where there is always some type of sweet or food being brought in. This is the hardest place for me to be good.

Replies

• Advengirl
    Advengirl Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Oh man...I hear ya.
    I work with a bunch of male programmers who crave soda & candy all day. And I have to make sure they're in full supply. So, every day...I'm faced with M&Ms, Starbursts, Sour Patch kids, Chocolate Trail Mix, Hershey kisses....the list goes on and on.
    ::sigh::
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    I work in an office where there is always some type of sweet or food being brought in. This is the hardest place for me to be good.

I hear ya! I work at a school, and they're forever having cupcakes for the kids' birthdays, cakes for the teachers, and a party for "anything" just about every time I turn around! Today someone brought in a homemade pumpkin pie, and if THAT wasn't bad enough, my class had an icecream sundae party! Thank goodness I'm pretty much at my goal, so I ate everything, and then came home and jogged with my Wii, which I'd also done this morning too, plus took a walk! I figured I "worked" for the goodies! :laugh:
  • blakgarnet
    Options
    mine is too - donuts, dominos and candy abound! And I have the worst will power.
    I have found that a glazed plain donut is 180 calories and a small slice of dominos cheese pizza is 170. I just try to limit myself to things that I can counteract at the gym.
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! I work at a school, and they're forever having cupcakes for the kids' birthdays, cakes for the teachers, and a party for "anything" just about every time I turn around!

Last week, I took in cupcakes to the lunchroom for both of my children's classes because it was their report card day. Usually I take anything left over and put it in the teacher's lounge, always with the comment of "what are you doing to my diet?" in laughter. So this time, I thought about what I would want (I work from home, so my temptation is my own doing), and I took the leftovers, went straight home and them in the outside trash. That way, only those little bodies with high intense energy levels got to use up all the those calories and us big, not so energetic adults fortunately avoided the dilemma.
  • mavsfan2009
    mavsfan2009 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    For me, its not even that the food people bring in is bad (my office only has 3 people)...the HARD part is that there is a food court downstairs with a chick fil a, starbucks, mexican food, chinese food, BBQ, deli, bakery, and the list goes on.........
  • LittleSister
    LittleSister Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking the same thing! I was thinking maybe I should go downstairs & get a chocolate bar, but thought I should log in here instead.

My problem is that when I'm hard at work on a project, and if I get stalled or frustrated by something, like lack of information, a delay, or even just me drifting into the afternoon daydreamy time when it's hard to stay focused, my mind immediately turns to snacking. Snacking is so much more fun than struggling through a tough, and sometimes not-all-that-interesting problem.

I just finished writing a report right now. I think I stopped after every paragraph, lost focus, then thought "Hmm, this would be more fun and easier to write if it were accompanied by a chocolate bar or bag of potato chips." I finally finished the report, then thought maybe I should go reward myself with a snack. I still haven't done that.

So far so good, but I have over an hour to go before 5 p.m.!!!!!
  • amberc1982
    amberc1982 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    My problem isn't the food at work it is everyone at work always wanting to go out to eat lunch. It is hard to say no because our job is so stressful, so it is nice to get out of the office for awhile. I have tried to limit myself to only going once a week with them. It is not really working though. LOL
  • neenaleigh
    neenaleigh Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    wow! i feel really lucky right now! my work doesnt allow us to leave for lunch so they have a Employee dinning area, they will make anything to order and supply us with healthy snacks like fruits and yogurts too! talk to your managers! maybe they can help! a friend of mine just convinced her manager to sign up for an employee discount with the gym so anythings possible! bring a list of reasons why healthier is better and how they should help their employee remain healthy becasue they work better when they are healthy!!!! good luck to all of you!!!
  • CinthyNair
    Options
    I agree! I have given up finding healthier options out there, so I bring my lunch from home ... everyday! It's a hassle to prepare the night before, but i think to myself ... i need to do this, to stay in control of my calories.

Today i brought egg salad and corn thins for lunch. Gotta start thinking for lunch tomorrow! :flowerforyou:
  • Chocolickkyss
    Chocolickkyss Posts: 3,654 Member
    Options
    Since I'm the health nut in my office I have decided to recruit my co-workers. There are 10 of us and I have successfully transformed at least 5 of them....Yippeee, Yippee. As a result of this transformation most of us bring our lunch and this is very helpful.
  • LML79
    LML79 Posts: 697
    Options

I hear ya! I work at a school, and they're forever having cupcakes for the kids' birthdays, cakes for the teachers, and a party for "anything" just about every time I turn around! Today someone brought in a homemade pumpkin pie, and if THAT wasn't bad enough, my class had an icecream sundae party! Thank goodness I'm pretty much at my goal, so I ate everything, and then came home and jogged with my Wii, which I'd also done this morning too, plus took a walk! I figured I "worked" for the goodies! :laugh:

I know what you mean.. I also work at a school... there is always kids birthday parties and tons of junk in the teachers lounge. What I try to do is stay out of the teachers lounge all together.. One thing that works for me is walking during my lunchbreak. I am not a big sit down eater for lunch and tend to eat little snacks throughout the day so during my break I walk..whether it be outside around the block if I can..or laps in the Gym when it's not being used!
  • jaxterbom
    Options
    A polite no usually works. A second polite no might be needed if they insist. After that, you say "I've just been diagnosed with diabetes." It helps to be cold and unfriendly. :noway: Bring in apples bananas oranges etc. for snacking when it gets too frustrating and ya gotta munch!

Hank

223140.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I have changed my persona at work completely. People now come to my desk for healthy food to snack on. I always have non-salted Almonds at my desk and when I bring in carrots and hummus I offer to all who care to try it.

It is HARD to walk by the homemade foods this time of the year........but eh, can't ruin my reputation you know:laugh: