Couldn't finish c25k on day one:(

Options
I set out this morning excited to start the program but got half way into it and was wiped out and had to stop. My neighborhood is hilly but just feeling overwhelmed again like I won't ever be able to run. I have been going to our local gym about 3-4 days a week and doing 15-20 minutes on the elliptical. Any advice?

Replies

• felicia8604
    felicia8604 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    try doing the c25k on the treadmill. that might help. Hill suck! i live out in the country and either way i go i have hills so i know how you feel. Good luck!
  • clariangel
    clariangel Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Treadmill might be easier. And don't worry, it's not a race, just go as fast or far as you can. The endurance part will come, just keep at it! Oh, I like to run slightly at a incline on the treadmill. It works better for me. Good luck!
  • jasperann
    jasperann Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I tried c25k and failed too. That was when I first started out running. I have a trainer now that taught me the heart rate method. You are suppose to walk or jog or run at

What is The Maffetone Method

Here’s my break down of it.

1. Calculate your target heart rate using the 180 rule. Basically, 180 – your age. Your training range in 10 point under that. For me that means my range is 137-147 BPM.

2. Spend 15 minutes warming up to that range. When I started this was all walking.

3. Spend 15 minutes running in this range. The amount of time in this range can be increased once you are totally comfortable with it, but not more than once every 2 weeks.

4. Spend 15 minutes cooling down back under your heart range.

5. Run 5 or 6 days a week.

6. Once a month test yourself using a MAF test. Basically run a mile in your target heart range and record the time.

This method works very well. I can now run 10ks... probably more but I hurt my knee last fall and I'm so scared to run long distances now.

I agree that hills are so hard. I have a city near by that has hills (I call them mountains) and they tire me out faster than running on flat ground.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I have some advice. Keep going. The whole point of C25K is that you do what you can do, then each day and each week you try to do a little more. For some people, the first week is too easy. For others, it's too hard. Don't worry about it. Do what you can do, and each time out, try to do a little bit more. So you can't go as far as the program goal on day one? So what. Not a problem. Do what you can. Then try do more.

Your neighborhood is hilly? GOOD. Then you'll get into shape much faster. Feeling wiped out? GOOD. That means you're trying your best to achieve something you could not previously do. Feeling frustrated? GOOD. That means you care. Keep trying. Keep going. Keep improving.
  • ItsFinallyHappening
    ItsFinallyHappening Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have advice, KEEP GOING BACK Tomorrow and the day after and the next day and the next day. Don't stop, don't give up! You don't have to finish it today, you just have to start it.
  • alycat06
    alycat06 Posts: 75
    Options
    I agree with DavPul -- keep at it. If you have to do the first week a couple of times, so what? At least you're out there moving! I started the program a few weeks ago, and I realized that I tended to run at super speed at the beginning. Then I wanted to die! Take an easy on every run segment. Now I have a rhythm, and I know the speed will come once I've built up the endurance. Finally, don't be hard on yourself. Enjoy it!
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry I can't help D..I am aiming for a goal to be able to do it.. BUT.. several of the women in my group HAVE done the C25k and have shared that when they started, they couldn't complete the first week "on schedule" either - but they kept going with what they could do... until they could move forward... as some of the others have said, just do what you CAN now, at your own pace, and it WILL happen... one of the ones who couldn't get thru that first week... just ran her first 5km race ever..!! So hang in there - and huge congrats on deciding to start it - well done!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Advice - slow down. If you are trying to do the running parts in 8 minute mile pace try 10 mins or 12 mins or even slower. If you have a smartphone get an app like rundouble.com that measures your pace and tell you how you're doing in headphones.

When I started my heart rate went to 170+ in no time during those very short runs. Now I can run for 20 mins and keep it at 150-160.

If a run segment is tough then walk for 10 paces and resume, you'll be surprised the difference it makes.
  • xxvogue
    xxvogue Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    If you're going fast - SLOW DOWN. If you already are going quite slow, then you just have to keep plugging away at it. I know a lot of people couldn't finish week one either (and I nearly died when I did it as well, but I could finish), and the trick was just to repeat the week. Try running every other run rather than every run interval for the first week, and then try everyone the second week.
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I had a hard time with the first day too - but don't give up! I am now on week four! I also agree about keeping your pace slow - I was trying to run way too fast on the first day.
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I am in my second week of doing week 1 and it still hurts (but that is because of some health issues I have).

Keep going. I try and do 30 seconds more of one of the runs each time, and I walk the rest of the time. I can manage 2 runs and a speed walk for the other 4 of the runs and that does me fine!

So on Tuesday I will try to do 3 of the 6 runs, 2 consecutively and the fifth one! I don't care how long it takes but I will start my real training when I can do week 1 properly!

You'll find your own pattern for success, good luck!
  • geo1437
    geo1437 Posts: 38
    Options
    The first thing you need to do is also the hardest, and that is not to get discouraged. As long as you keep trying, and keep working, you WILL build up your endurance. Now if you want to try it on a tread mill, that is fine, but just remember unless you are doing it at an incline, you may run into the sameendurance issues the first time you go back outside to run if you are surrounded by hills. If it were me...i would stick with the hills outside. it will be more of a challenge, yuo will be out in the fresh air, and the scenary will be better. just go at your own pace,stay focused, and keep in mind that today you WILL be able to go father than you did yesterday, and tomorrow you WILL go father than you did today.

You are training for a 5K you are not running in it today. Training is not a race. Go at your own pace, build up your strength, build your endurance, win the battle of mind over body first. Then you can worry about your time.

Keep your head up, keep pushing, keep trying, and NEVER give up.

Good Luck...and i know you can do it
  • reederx5
    reederx5 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the words of advice and encouragement. I can see myself one day being able to do this just wish it were sooner than later:)
  • Dawnhasajeep
    Dawnhasajeep Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Do not quit repeat day's or weeks if you need to but DO NOT QUIT. I did it on the the treadmill becuse it was winter in Maine when I started. If you have a 5K race you have registred for you may want to stick with outside but find a new flater place to run. I found it to be a big difrance when going form a treadmill to outside.

Good luck and DO NOT QUIT!
  • printererror
    printererror Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone on here. Go slower, and keep pushing yourself.

I now how you feel about hills. Once a week I've been training outside, and the rest have been on the treadmill. I struggled the first day too (i was really beating myself up about it. I REALLY was out of breath doing sixty seconds of jogging? C'mon that's not cool!)
    But by day two I saw that I was able to get up to 60 seconds a little bit easier. Every other set I would test myself. Can I go 10 seconds longer? By day three I was pushing myself again. Can I go 30 seconds more jogging every other set and cut out 30 seconds of walking?

I also take it easy the first few sets, and sprint the last one so I can finish off strong.
  • mjbell642
    mjbell642 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I just finished week 2 today. And I will probably stay at week 2 for another week. I have never been a runner and I am pretty sure some folks walk faster than I jog. Always failed the fitness tests in school. So this is a challenge for me.

Just be patient with yourself. Cut it in 1/2 if you need to. If you need to repeat a week, just do it. Any moving is good moving. But you don't want to push too hard to the point you hurt something and not be able to get out.

Add me as a friend if you like. I would love to encourage each other on our challenge.
  • Penfoldsplace
    Options
    Keep going, you can do it! I know it must feel disheartening but it will get easier. I started 30 day shred and couldn't complete level one, but I built up, doing half for a few days then I finally manged the whole 20 minutes. For c25k I think a good tip is to run slow, you can build speed later on once your fitness improves.
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    did you HAVE to stop? or did you just convince yourself you had to

i simply tell myself that quitting isnt an option.. i dont get to have the luxury, simply isnt an option.

you WILL do the program, but give yourself the option to tweek the intensity.

for example, i wouldn't have stopped running. i would have walked the rest of what i was supposed to run instead of letting myself take the easy way out. chances are i would have started running again after the fleeting moment of pain passed.

this is written at the beginning of power 90- really changed the way i think about my workouts now.

"Don’t let your mind debate whether you will do power 90 6 days per week. The question should be how intense. you have to do it, and find the way within yourself to stick with it."

then it has you write down the reasons why you want to do it, along with that saying. i taped it on my fridge :]
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I plan on starting c25k next week. I've been building up to it by doing a lot of walking this month. My plan is this - do what I can on day one. Try to do more the next time. It's a process, and they only one you are in competition with is yourself. If you have to walk for the last 20 minutes - do it. Next time it will be a little easier. I'm going to repeat week 1 as many weeks as it takes me to do it.
  • snoppdog69
    Options
    I just started Week 3 of the C25K this morning and never thought I would get this far.

My first week I found it so difficult and my whole body hurt. I couldn't even run for a bus without feeling like i was going to die.

But now although it's getting more difficult each week, I am finding my strengh and stamina has improved considerably.

Keep at it, either on a treadmeal or outside and you will get there at your own pace.