What I learned from MFP that I didn't from Weight Watchers

Options
I had three rounds of Weight Watchers over the last four years counting points. Success was moderate but I didn't stick to the plan. I did learn some good things with WW, but could never grasp the concept that I could still eat junk as long as I stayed within my points. Calculating calories, fiber, fat to get the magic points somehow made the calories disappear from my brain.

Week One on MFP was eye opening for me. I began tracking my food just to get a baseline but quickly began making better choices. Looking back at this week, I learned a lot about my food habits. There will be changes! I realize how little I know about proper nutrition. So now I am on a quest to educate myself and give my body what it needs to do its job. We like to have the proper tools to do our job, don't we?

I'm happy to say that this week was a success because I didn't let a few bumps in the road derail my journey. Remind me of this later when I get discouraged.

Replies

• mrsoz22
    mrsoz22 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I feel exactly the same way! I would always lose weight on Weight Watchers but then fall off the wagon after a month, two months, etc. The reason, I have finally realized, is that I wasn't in touch with the reality of what I was really eating...it was always wrapped up in the magical formula that is WW Points. I was able to keep all my bad habits (namely eating excessive sugar and carbs) because I didn't have to face what was really in the food, and then when I started slipping it was all too easy to go back to eating those things hog wild. Now I focus on balanced nutrition and changing my habits to eat healthier for the long haul.
  • skcornett
    skcornett Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I liked WW but it it only worked for me for a while, usually because I didn't follow through with exercise. But I, too, learned that the points didn't tell me enough about what is in my foods. I watch calories and fat, but I'm also watching protein, sodium and fiber. Welcome to MFP!
  • jms3533
    jms3533 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I feel that MFP is a more realistic approach to losing weight. With the user friendly online diary setup on MFP, it boils down to calories in, calories out. A fellow MFP buddy compares it to a checking account and overdrafts...if you go over. Very simple. With MFP you learn to eat what you want, no forbidden foods, just eat in moderation and don't do any overdrafts!
  • spicypepper
    spicypepper Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I tried weight watchers last March. I initially lost 7 lbs. :drinker: I quickly gained back the 7 lbs plus 4 over the next 3 weeks. I quickly kicked them to the curb like a bad habit and dove in to MFP. I successfully lost 48 lbs from April to September. I then got pregnant. :laugh:

I've lost 50 lbs now post delivery and want to lose another 40 lbs to be at goal. I will never again go back to WW. The points system was so hard for me to grasp. I liked the old school ways of the '80-'90 when you had to count your calories. For me, that's the most practical way to lose weight and hold yourself accountable.
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,419 Member
    Options
    I've been on weight watchers a few times, this last time lost about 20 lbs. Then a friend at work told me about MFP and I did both side by side to compare what I ate points vs. calories and it was almost the same. So I decided to save myself $40.00 a month and just use MFP. Yeah it doesn't have the fancy challenges, but I was annoyed with them anyhow :) MFP is super easy to use and I'm slowly losing the weight...I only have about 5 - 10 lbs left!