5k in 30 mins, help..

So, I'm HOPING to be able to run my first 5k on the 22nd of next month. Ideally I'd like to do it in at or under a half hour, but I don't know if that goal is realistic.

Right now with walking I am running 2.5 miles in 30 mins, without stopping I've been running 2.3 miles in 28 mins (close to my goal pace with some leeway). Does it seem likely that I could make my goal in the next 4 weeks?

If so, what do I need to do? I want to finish without walking, period, but the increased speed would be the icing on the cake. I can also push off my first 5k by probably a month (there are tons of 5ks at this time of year).

EDIT FOR QUESTION: I once heard that for running your time per mile increases by approximately 30 seconds for every 5 degrees in temperature rise. Do you guys find this to be (roughly) true? Right now I'm training in 85-90 degree weather in Florida, but I'm hoping that the end of September in Boston might be cooler.

Replies

• JennafurC
    JennafurC Posts: 65 Member
    If you want to increase speed, try sprint intervals. But I think you should get up to 3.2 miles of running before you try and increase your speed.
    Sprint intervals are running fast for a short distance and then regular pace... When I do mine I do 60 seconds at my normal pace and 60-90 seconds at a faster pace. For me, its 60 at 6.5mph and 90 seconds at 7.3mph.
  • judyann1988
    judyann1988 Posts: 5 Member
    I am also working on the same thing... I am down to 40 minutes 5K its not the best but I think all that really matters is that you finish :happy: You will get fast the more of them you do, right?
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    What's the rush? Seriously. I would start with finishing without walking. That, in itself, is quite an accomplishment. Then, once you're comfortable running 5K without stopping, you can start working on speed. Interval training is great for that (sprinting/walk or run intervals). If you jump into the interval training too quickly and push too hard, you risk injuring yourself. I'm speaking from experience. Hurt my hamstring and I haven't been able to run in 3 months.

If you insist on working on speed, try following one of Hal Higdon's plans for 5K. Good luck!
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,066 Member
    I've found that, especially when you're new to running and/or organized races, setting a time goal is generally setting yourself up for disappointment.

Trust your training. Run your race. But mostly just have fun! And best of luck to you :)
  • xxvogue
    xxvogue Posts: 172 Member
    If you want to increase speed, try sprint intervals. But I think you should get up to 3.2 miles of running before you try and increase your speed.
    Sprint intervals are running fast for a short distance and then regular pace... When I do mine I do 60 seconds at my normal pace and 60-90 seconds at a faster pace. For me, its 60 at 6.5mph and 90 seconds at 7.3mph.

I will definitely continue to increase my endurance (I do so by about a tenth of a mile per run), without worrying about speed. But maybe one day a week I will do a sprint interval at a much shorter distance.

For the record, I CAN run a 5k without stopping, but when I do my pace is around a consistent 12-13 min/mile. I've been training at a faster pace (closer to my target) and that's when I hit the 2.3-2.5 miles. Should I just keep building endurance at my slower pace?
  • SaraBrown12
    SaraBrown12 Posts: 277 Member
    I am doing a 5k on 2nd sept and am determined to get under 35 mins. I shall post how i get on. If any1 wants to add me then feel free x
  • kchar26
    kchar26 Posts: 1 Member
    What are you doing to train for it? I found that with high intensity intervals (sprint as fast as you can for 30s then jog or walk for 1 minute) really helped increase my speed and endurance. Also, what might help is going for your daily jog and then, after your done, doing 10 sprints or so (with just normal resting in between, no jogging or whatever). How quickly can you run 3.1 miles (5k) now?
  • You know what, if you want it bad, I bet you anything you will accomplish your goal, girl. What I've been told over and over again when increasing speed or distance is that you dont' do both at the same time. So, increase your speed but do the same distance. OR do the same speed for a further distance.

Have you tried interval training at the gym? What I do is walk at 3.5 for one minute, then sprint at 7.5 - 8.0 for one minute, then go back to walking for a min at 3.5. I'll do this for say 20 minutes or sometimes even less. I've found that it helps me run much faster on my long runs outside!!!! It's really cool. Good luck with your goal! YOU CAN DO IT!!!
  • NicoleSchimmel
    NicoleSchimmel Posts: 162 Member
    I would stick with the 5K you have planned. Don't push it back. The main thing to keep in mind is that you are doing a 5K and you should be proud of that! In order to run a 5K (3.something miles), you'll need to be at a little less than a 10minute mile.

I would just keep trying, but don't be overly concerned about finishing it in a certain time. This is your first 5K....focus on improving time when you run your other 5Ks.

Have fun! It's such an accomplishment :)
  • Karmarie24
    Karmarie24 Posts: 48 Member
    A 29:59 5k is a 9:40 pace, you running 2.3 miles in 28:00 is a 12:10 pace. I'm not saying it can't be done, because the adrenaline of race day is a powerful thing, but it will be hard.

I know the desire to run under 30 mins! It took me 3 years of running to get there. Some people have natural running ability, I do not! I have to work very hard to see any gains in performance! I'm working with an amazing trainer right now who has shaved 3 minutes off my 5k times, 20 minutes off my 10k time (I've only ever run one other 10k because I don't like the distance, which is why it's so drastic), and 15 minutes off my half marathon. So if you need any pointers on getting faster let me know!
  • BAFilek
    BAFilek Posts: 139 Member
    My first 5k my goal was not to finish last.. Don't worry about timing. It will come, if not this year, next year.:smile:
  • xxvogue
    What are you doing to train for it? I found that with high intensity intervals (sprint as fast as you can for 30s then jog or walk for 1 minute) really helped increase my speed and endurance. Also, what might help is going for your daily jog and then, after your done, doing 10 sprints or so (with just normal resting in between, no jogging or whatever). How quickly can you run 3.1 miles (5k) now?

Right now i go the whole 5k in 35-40 minutes at a jog.
  • sunflowertimes
    sunflowertimes Posts: 85 Member
    I don't know if you use your phone or not when you run but I use RunDouble app and I am using the 5K improver plan. It is intervals and I really like it. I have only been using it for a week and I have already improved my time. If you don't use your phone message me and I will send you the details of the plan.
  • gradrun
    gradrun Posts: 69 Member
    well, if you are running 2.5 miles in 30 minutes, you are running at a 12 min pace. To run a 5K (3.1 miles) in 30 minutes you need to drop your pace to 9:40 min. At race day, you will obviously be going faster than normal, but a 2 min difference in pace is quite a lot, even for such a short distance. Of course you can get faster and run a 5K under 30 minutes, I just don't know if 4 weeks is enough time for such improvement.

Generally, to improve your speed, get an advanced/intermediate 5K plan from Hal Higdon or runners world and make sure you incorporate intervals and hill training. I've also seen that active has a few "run a 5K under 30 min" training plans, though I do not have a personal experience with them.

If I can give my opinion, since this is your first 5K, just go and run it as fast and as well as you can. Then, use the time as a starting point to improve and get to your sub-30 goal on your next race.

And whatever you do, just enjoy the race :-) Have fun running!
  • xxvogue
    Thanks for everyone's advice.

9:40 min per mile sounds a little quick. I'm hoping to hit 10 min/mi and stick around there to finish between 29-31 minutes. But I know it might not be possible in 4 weeks (which is why I was thinking of doing one in 8 if that would be more reasonable). I can run a 5k on my own without a race in over a half hour so I have no problems finding a later 5k to make my speed goal a reality. If that makes sense. Some people want to run the 5k just to say they ran a 5k, but that's not really my goal. My goal is to say I ran a 5k at a 10 min/mi pace.