How do you stay on track when $&!@ happens?

Options
Recently I received some very bad news that is detrimental to my financial situation and I just stopped tracking and wanted to eat what I wanted to eat. In the course of a week I put back on what took me the last 5 weeks to lose. It becomes a vicious circle as now I'm not only depressed about money issues but also my weight gain. It's been a little over a week and I am trying to get back on track but I can't seem to get back into the right mindset. I want cookies and pizza and comfort. I have always been an emotional eater and now I am craving all the things that will sabotage my new lifestyle. How do you stay on track when it feels like none of it matters and nothing you do will matter. It always comes back in the end so why not have those homemade cookies, or chocolate cake with caramel whipped cream? It took me 10 weeks to lose 25 lbs which to me is discouraging since I have over 100 lbs to lose. How do you stick with it when you just want to curl up into a ball and disappear?

Replies

• fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    Instead of eating now I exercise. Go for a walk instead of reaching for those fatty foods. Turn your anger and frustration into constructive exercise. Believe me I've had my share of hard knocks. Our oldest is on drugs. In July he attacked me and then a couple weeks ago he flipped out on me when I wouldn't give him any money. Both times I've had to call the cops. In the past I would get a bottle of wine and drink myself to sleep. Now I walk the dog or go for a long walk with DH late at night and that helps me sleep. During the day if I can't get out for a walk I'll get on my stationary bike or call a friend and talk it out with them. I'm a full time college student and mother of 3. If i can stick with it and loose 40 lbs under all this stress then anyone can do it. I also have MS, fibro, RA and heart defects. It can be done. You have to find what works for you. Do you have a favorite hobby? Do you like to swim, walk, run? Do something constructive instead of destructive. You'll get there. Give yourself a break. Learn from this and make changes so next time you can lose more instead of putting it all back on.
  • ldennett
    ldennett Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Wow, you are inspiring. Congrats to triumphing in the face of all that adversity
  • Saree1902
    Saree1902 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I could give you advice on lots of hints and tips but I was in this type of situation last month and just said 'F#&% it' and ate several pounds of cake! The only thing that made me feel better was running. Because I imagined the pavement was the head/genitalia of the cretin who had just made me redundant....! I still gained weight, but I found it a bit easier to cope with as I was doing 'something' to help.

So, maybe accept that you might not lose as much as you want to but try to do 'something' to make yourself feel a bit better. Maybe have a piece of fruit for one snack, instead of a cookie. Maybe get off the bus a stop earlier and walk a bit further. Maybe take out your frustrations on a sofa cushion...Boxing with a punch-bag burns off 80 calories in 10 minutes so beating the cr@p out of a sofa cushion might release some tension AND burn a few calories...bonus!

Mainly, don't beat yourself up too much. It's hard enough to stick to a healthy eating plan when everything is going well!!

Good luck and feel better soon,

Sarah x
  • shyeban
    shyeban Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I've come to realise that comfort eating does not comfort me, I find something to meet the immediate compulsive need - something like popcorn- and I exercise or sleep.
  • LovelySammi
    LovelySammi Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I find myself craving those bad foods from time to time, & I can relate in more ways than one bc I just got some bad news as well. when I reached for the unhealthy food, I asked myself if I really wanted to eat it, knowing that after I eat it I would feel more empty ... Also, I think hiw will this effect my diary? My goals? My mood? Then I really took inventory of my life and thought about my blessings and pray that the hardships pass, and know that thy will in due time.

Then I grab fruit or somethin like that as my snack, and I can feel good about it. Good luck!!!
  • MamaMaryC
    MamaMaryC Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I used to emotional eat too.

Now I use exercise. For big problems I go for a good workout that makes me concentrate on the moves and breathing. I forget about my problems for a bit. While I am cooling down after the workout I revisit my problems and think them through. I am not as anxious after a good workout and believe that I think more clearly and rationally. With small problems I will do a lighter workout that I can move to and think at the same time. I am a very anxious worrier. So working out takes the edge off for me.

As for the food. I got into a routine of eating healthy because of stomach issues and calorie counting. Now those foods aren't satisfying anymore. I do have to have a sweet everyday, don't get me wrong. :)
  • janellegel
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel i had a week where i was really depressed and didnt care. I was lucky that i didnt gain any weight i have to figure out how to cope as well. But i recently got set up with a trainer that is going to teach me how to box so im thinking that may help with those moments and give me something to do then eat
  • AlphamaleBAMF
    AlphamaleBAMF Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Recently I received some very bad news that is detrimental to my financial situation and I just stopped tracking and wanted to eat what I wanted to eat. In the course of a week I put back on what took me the last 5 weeks to lose. It becomes a vicious circle as now I'm not only depressed about money issues but also my weight gain.

First step. Stop binging. Start logging again. Just because your money situation is mess up doesn't mean you need to add depression over your weighloss setback make it even worse. You can still keep losing weight and if you work hard now in a few weeks you will be back to where you were before, or less. And I think you will find that a lot of that is actually waste weight or water weight.

If you don't change your behavior you know things are just going to get worse and push you even further away from your goal. So just do it.
    How do you stick with it when you just want to curl up into a ball and disappear?

After I got divorced because my ex wife cheated. I left my whole life behind and decided to start over. I was really really depressed since I had lost nearly everything and I started going to gym. I don't think I would have made it without gym. Exercise and eating healthy makes you feel better. That isn't some made up catch phrase or whatever. It's scientifically proven to be as, if not more effective than anti depressants.

So if you want my advice, start going for walks or exercising in some way. Think about signing up to a gym if you can afford it. If you work hard, a year or two from now that 100lb will be gone and you'll look great.

If you don't. In a year or two you'll still have 100lb or more to lose and things still won't be better. Which do you want?
  • Savbomb
    Savbomb Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Excecise! It can be hard at first but it distracts you, gives you time to forget you're craving and releases those endorphins. When you come back from a ten min jog rather then making food you will feel sooo good. Be strong!
  • marthathebear
    Options
    First of all, I congratulate you on the 25 lbs in 10 weeks. That 's exactly how to do this and excellent results. You are depressed about your financial situation which leads to binges and makes you gain so recognize your moods and switch the unhealthy snacks to something less harmful to your success. Exercise will reduce your stress and your weight. Get in this mindset and force yourself until it is a habit. Walk fast, run or whatever your thing is. Just do it! Think through your problems while you are on a walk or run. Ask a trusted friend to go with you and talk it out. Gaining weight will only add to the problems.
  • lornathewizzard
    lornathewizzard Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Recently I received some very bad news that is detrimental to my financial situation and I just stopped tracking and wanted to eat what I wanted to eat. In the course of a week I put back on what took me the last 5 weeks to lose. It becomes a vicious circle as now I'm not only depressed about money issues but also my weight gain. It's been a little over a week and I am trying to get back on track but I can't seem to get back into the right mindset. I want cookies and pizza and comfort. I have always been an emotional eater and now I am craving all the things that will sabotage my new lifestyle. How do you stay on track when it feels like none of it matters and nothing you do will matter. It always comes back in the end so why not have those homemade cookies, or chocolate cake with caramel whipped cream? It took me 10 weeks to lose 25 lbs which to me is discouraging since I have over 100 lbs to lose. How do you stick with it when you just want to curl up into a ball and disappear?

I realise I'm repeating what everyone else has said, but exercise will make you feel better. I know it can be expensive but a few quid a week on a class you love, or nothing at all getting yourself outside and walking / jogging will make you feel ten times better. The key thing is to get started. The longer you continue wallowing, the further back you'll be.
    And don't beat yourself up about eating bad sometimes. Life does indeed happen and sometimes that banana just won't cut it. Keep it in moderation and you'll be just fine.
    Also, 25lbs in 10 weeks is great - i lost nearly 80lbs in 2.5 years and I've never felt better. Hope things pick up soon!
  • victorialkay
    Options
    I find that if I feel depressed it can consume you and before you know it a whole week has passed and you've eaten enough rubbish to feed an army!

A few years back I had severe depression and didn't really want to be here anymore. I had really hit rock bottom and was in hospital a few times when I decided to join a college course. That helped me focus on myself and work towards a better future which in return gave me confidence back. I was forced to put myself in situations where I would be up talking in front of people and I tell you what, it worked!

I'm not saying join a college course but why not consider trying something new that puts you in a situation where you focus on bettering yourself. Also I know everyone keeps saying but exercise really helps as it challenges you.

Why not set yourself a goal? Take time for yourself, go for it. Life is hard but humans are extraordinary creatures, we can do so much!

Go for it! I believe in you! Xx
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I have a bad habit of not eating when $&!@ happens so my challenge is to meet my minimum goal of 1200 calories per day. I carry nuts and hardboiled eggs around to keep my protein and count up.
  • NCTravellingGirl
    NCTravellingGirl Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Let me just say that what you're feeling and going through is normal and we're all fighting SOME issue that leads us to bad choices. Some of us, however, have let it get OUT OF CONTROL. I always appreciate everyone's advice, but seeing a buff hot person telling me to stop eating and start workout isn't exactly motivating or that simple, haha.

So as someone who had more than 100 lbs to lose as well and DEFINITELY was and still can be an emotional eater, here is what I did. I do let myself have some of those things you're craving, in small quantities, and with a replayment plan if you will. I have to decide how bad I want it and be willing to put in the exercise (or cutting out other things) in order to have it. It's amazing how often you'll find yourself substituting something better for you! Suddenly frozen yogurt (under 200 calories) becomes my choice instead of a full fat Bruster's ice cream waffle cone (only about 750 calories, OMG)...I'm willing to work out for 30 minutes to get the fro yo, haha!

Don't get me wrong, I work out a good bit and have worked hard to lose 70 lbs, but cake is a constant craving for me that only gets worse when things go bad. How much I'm allowed to have adjusts to my exercise. Today I did an hour of Zumba and a day of the 30DS, so that should tell you how I'm feeling today, haha!

Good luck, keep your chin up, and know that this is a one day at a time process but a lifelong journey, so it's OK to have things too.
  • Saree1902
    Saree1902 Posts: 611 Member
    Options

So as someone who had more than 100 lbs to lose as well and DEFINITELY was and still can be an emotional eater, here is what I did. I do let myself have some of those things you're craving, in small quantities, and with a replayment plan if you will. I have to decide how bad I want it and be willing to put in the exercise (or cutting out other things) in order to have it. It's amazing how often you'll find yourself substituting something better for you! Suddenly frozen yogurt (under 200 calories) becomes my choice instead of a full fat Bruster's ice cream waffle cone (only about 750 calories, OMG)...I'm willing to work out for 30 minutes to get the fro yo, haha!

Very well said, I like your substitution idea and might use it myself!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Relapse is just another part of the change process. I don't think I've known anyone that didn't.

The important part is how long it takes you to get back into action.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Try filling this in http://www.motivationalinterview.net/clinical/decisionalbalance.pdf

Ignore the drugs part, the fact that you're trying to make a behavioural change is what is important.

Try to think of what behaviour you'd like to change, it seems to be eating that you're most concerned with. Have a good think about the pros and cons of making a change, or not making a change, and fill in the grid.