What to have in place of morning coffee

Options
My doctor has told me 'no more coffee, chocolate, pop, or high fat foods' due to acid problems in my stomach. Now I have nothing to have in the morning to wake me up. I am sure that it's more habit that I miss so much, but I don't know what to replace it with.

What would you suggest that I try?

Replies

• christibam
    christibam Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I know it sounds weird but running in the morning helped me wake up when I was tired all the time. Adrenaline and stuff.
  • hippietofugirl
    Options
    Caffeinated hot tea

I really love Constant Comments - orange spice, and Tazo - Organic Chai
  • AlphamaleBAMF
    AlphamaleBAMF Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Green tea maybe?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,124 Member
    Options
    If you are suffering from reflux, it will most likely go away when you lose weight - so I'd say, take a walk. It will wake you up just as well as coffee, and get you closer to having the coffee again someday.
  • mensasu
    mensasu Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Can you tolerate a virgin mary - tomato juice/vegetable juice and tabasco. Look for low sodium juice. Add some metamucil/benefibre for an added boost of fibre.

Or ginger tea, bengal spice tea.
  • sissidevore
    sissidevore Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    this could sound crazy, but AN APPLE. It wakes you up MORE than a cup of coffee. dont' know how, but its proven to work. and then i would drink your morning juice, or water with it. i have tried it, it works :) and ever so tasty for around 90 calories!
  • Kristie18
    Kristie18 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Green tea maybe?

I was going to suggest the same thing
  • Grinb
    Grinb Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    this could sound crazy, but AN APPLE. It wakes you up MORE than a cup of coffee. dont' know how, but its proven to work. and then i would drink your morning juice, or water with it. i have tried it, it works :) and ever so tasty for around 90 calories!

I have read that in many an article as well as a big ole glass of water!
  • Scott277
    Scott277 Posts: 63
    Options
    Green Tea, but 1 cup of coffee in the morning wont kill you. Or even try limit it to one every 2days and cut the rest of the stuff out.

Its only coffee, still need to live a little, just dont drink it all day
  • It is habit more than anything else. I would go with hot tea with lemon. And it's calorie-free (my morning coffee costs me 83 calories a day...)
  • jhalton
    jhalton Posts: 85
    Options
    Yerba mate
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    1) Large glass of COLD water
    2) Brisk walk, run, swim.
  • PaulaDygert
    PaulaDygert Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I started drinking green tea, it took me a little bit to get used to the taste but now I love it and can't drink coffee anymore because I don't like the taste of it. I really like the peach flavor or regular with a little bit of honey in it. If you need the caffeine in it watch the boxes because you can buy some without caffeine.
  • omgiacobbi
    omgiacobbi Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have acid reflux and gerds, so I know how much it sucks to have to give certain things up. Caffeinated tea really is your best option if you still want a "coffee" experience. Also, I found that cold coffee (iced coffee or frapps) doesn't agitate my reflux as bad as hot coffee does.
  • Scott277
    Scott277 Posts: 63
    Options
    Can i point out i used to drink about 4-5mugs of coffee a day.

I know drink one in the morning and green tea 1-2times a day. Water the rest of the time.

If u really want to you will do, "i must have caffeine" is a mental thing not a phyiscal one
  • Nos150
    Nos150 Posts: 150
    Options
    Green Tea, but 1 cup of coffee in the morning wont kill you. Or even try limit it to one every 2days and cut the rest of the stuff out.

Its only coffee, still need to live a little, just dont drink it all day

At this point it almost does.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    There are low acid coffees that might be a good replacement.
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Green tea maybe?

Green tea is great also for its weight loss benefits, but as a nutrition major I warn anyone who drinks it that if you are prone to anemia, be careful of ALL tea. Tea contains tannin, which attaches to heme in the blood cells and can deplete iron levels. If you switch to tea, you may want to watch for signs of anemia.
  • davidt79
    Options
    I used to have acid reflux very extremely, once I lost weight I do not suffer from it at all. Hang in there, lose the weight, and you will be able to enjoy some of those things again :)
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    To wake up?

Get hydrated - with anything.

If it's daylight: go outside. Our bodies naturally wake up when seeing daylight.

Jump up and down or dance a bit to get the blood going and the oxygen pumping to your brain.

Finish your shower with a quick rinse of cold water (not stone cold, obviously).