My Journey So Far, 94lbs. GONE!!!

Options
~Mia Storia~

It all began in 2005, when my Fiancé and I moved in together. Well, the obvious happened for two people who are crazy in love...BABY! So we bumped up our wedding date and welcomed our son into the world, the following year. From that pregnancy, I gained 35lbs., putting me at a whopping 205lbs. I had always been overweight by medical standards (since I'm 5'2), compliments of my Italian culture's delicious cuisine, but nonetheless, I was pretty comfortable with my pre-pregnancy weight of 170lbs. Over the next two years of being cooped up in the house, eating crap, and being inactive, I put on another 22lbs. During summer 2008, we found out that we were expecting our second child. At my first prenatal appointment, I was weighed at 227lbs. That was a reality check for me, "God almost 230lbs.??!!". So, nine months went by and I had gained 17lbs. during that pregnancy, putting me at my highest weight of 244lbs.

That was it. I had enough of being the big girl, and what was even more motivation, was having a daughter. I couldn't be a role model to her, being that overweight, why would she want to be like me, looking the way I did? I know everything isn't about image, but reality is, that image plays a large role in our lives, whether we like it or not! So, she was born in March 09, and I knew that I immediately wanted to diet, but wouldn't be able to drastically, since I was going to breastfeed. I breastfed her for about 2 weeks, and my milk went dry :( A major disappointment of course, but the bright side of that, was that I could now reduce my calories dramatically.

At my six week postpartum appointment, I was weighed at 213lbs., and attributed the 31lb. weight loss to: my daughter leaving the womb, along with placenta and other fluids, breast feeding (even though it was a short period of time), dieting, and lots of good ol' stress. During this appointment, I had an IUD inserted and discussed weight loss aids with my OB. She felt I was making a valiant effort towards trying to get the weight off for good, by changing my lifestyle and prescribed me Phentermine to kick start the major weight loss. I took that for two months during May and June, and while on that, I lost 28lbs., accompanied with a strict diet and exercise, leaving me at 185lbs. I was feeling good, but it still wasn't enough, I wanted to lose more, a lot more! I knew that without the magic metabolism boosting pill, it was going to take a lot of work, but I could do it.

During the month of July 09', all by myself, I lost 10lbs, putting me at 175lbs. Since August 09', I have lost an additional 25lbs., which now puts me at 150lbs.! I am very pleased with the progress I have made. My Family is extremely supportive and are amazed at how dedicated and serious I am. People ask how I'm doing it, and I tell them the details and stress the fact that this is a LIFESTYLE change! It can be daunting, but I know it's worth it! My ultimate goal is to reach 135lbs. and maintain that. I know what it takes to achieve it, so I'm going to use all of my strength, passion, determination, willpower & a little bit of stubbornness, to make my goal a reality!

Replies

• savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Great job! Thank you for sharing your fantastic story.

This really inspires me because of being 1/2 Italian (oh, Italian food) and being 5'3". Thank you. :flowerforyou:
  • passionhi
    Options
    GREAT JOB!!!! IF I WAS MOTIVATED BEFORE, I AM SUPER MOTIVATED NOW!!!!
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys :)

I definitely know how much Italian food can hinder weight loss, but we can do it!! I made a few adjustments by switching to whole grain pastas, non-fat/reduced fat cheeses, and limiting the amounts of extra virgin olive oil I use when cooking!

Keep up the great work!!!
  • mello
    mello Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Thank you for that motivational story!!!! Way to go!!!:flowerforyou:
  • Nikki143
    Nikki143 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    oh, your such an inspiration! thanks!!
  • saverys_gal
    saverys_gal Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    What an inspiring story! Thank you so much for sharing!
  • les0423
    Options
    As a new mommy myself, I'm struggling with weight loss. Thank you for your story, it has really motivated me to keep on going.

262256.png
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys :)

I definitely know how much Italian food can hinder weight loss, but we can do it!! I made a few adjustments by switching to whole grain pastas, non-fat/reduced fat cheeses, and limiting the amounts of extra virgin olive oil I use when cooking!

Keep up the great work!!!

Limiting the olive oil is definitely key. My grandmother drenches everything in it, so I then have to limit my intake of all the food. Good thing olive oil is a good fat though. :tongue:
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    wow! great job, keep it up!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    That's INCREDIBLE! You're an inspiration. Way to go!!
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Wow, that is so inspirational!!! And it really hits home for me because my story is so close to yours. I was about 180 in 2005 when I first met my boyfriend.. I was 195 6 months later when we started dating, and gained on up to 245 from there. But I didn't have any reasons for my gains... (no kids lol). But I'm also looking to get to 150-155. It's so good to hear of someone who has been through almost exactly the same weight troubles as me from the start and got to their goal! Thanks a lot for sharing your story and congratulations to you! You should be very very proud!!:drinker:
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your wonderful comments & support! I appreciate them very much!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!