Reached Healthy BMI Today

Options
Christi6604
Christi6604 Posts: 245 Member
Sorry this is so long (pics at the bottom) I’ve been heavy since I was a sophomore in high school. For years I just accepted being overweight.

I was finally ready to lose weight after my mother got diagnosed with Gastroparesis. Her stomach is paralyzed as a side affect of diabetes. If the pill doesn’t work, you have to eat baby food. That scared me. I decided I’d rather have LESS steak and control the portions myself than someday be in a situation where I’d have to have pureed steak.

I’m 37 and started at 210.0 pounds. I’m 5’3.
Today, I’m 140.0

It’s taken me 2.5 years. I lost the first 50 pounds on weight watchers, then switched to MFP.

A couple of things that I learned along the way or that worked for me:

1. Your inner voice is a liar.
My inner voice would tell me things like, “A little bit won’t hurt”, “you’re destined to be fat”, “you can’t run”. Sometimes, you have to tell your inner voice to shut up.

2. Just shut up and do it.
I used to have angst about wanting to exercise. I’d hear about those magical people that get a “runners high”, or wish I had a workout buddy, etc. I have never experienced a runners high…I get satisfaction from a great workout, but that’s about it. I realize now that none of that matters. Exercise is something I do for fitness and health. It’s maintenance on my body. Like brushing my teeth. You wouldn’t wait to brush your teeth until you were motivated, would you?

3. You are stronger than you think.
I never thought I’d be a runner. I hated running. It was uncomfortable…my chest got in the way, I got side stitches, I felt extra fat. Then, I decided to give it a try anyway. I decided to honestly try. Guess what? I like running. I celebrated my weight loss with a 4 mile run this morning. It felt great. It was hard, but I felt strong and powerful. I used the C25k program. I highly recommend it.

4. You’ll have ups and downs- perseverance is required.
During the past year, I’ve been downsized at work, had to sell my home and move in with my parents who eat junk constantly. I’ve sprained my ankle a couple times, etc. Whatever else is going on in your life might make it harder, but it doesn’t make it impossible. Exercise and eating right can only help you feel better, less stressed and stronger.

5. Evaluation is important.
At this point, I don’t think there is only one “right” way. Everybody is different. What works for one person doesn’t necessarily work for the next. The important thing is – if it’s not working – make changes. I had a 6-month plateau…I ended up having to up my calories by about 150 a day and lower my cardio for a while. Lots of people told me to stop…glad I didn’t. Great article: http://fitnesswithnatalie.blogspot.com/2011/05/most-dreaded-word-in-weight-loss.html

I eat normal food. I stay within my calories. I eat some of my exercise calories back, but not all (mostly because I never got a HRM). I have one day a week when I eat over my calories whatever I’m craving – pizza, chocolate, etc. I believe in everything in moderation. I’m going to shoot for another 10-15 more pounds, I’ll see how I feel…and I plan to start heavy lifting in about 5 more pounds.

Good luck to everyone! If I can do it, you can too.

I don’t have any “before” pics…wish I would have taken some.

This one is at about 185 at college graduation
chrisgraduation3.jpg

At about 190 Christiwithpuppycricket2006.jpg

140.0 Today:
Christihealthyworkout2.jpg

Christihealthyfront.jpg
Christihealthyside.jpg

Replies

• paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    You dont even look like the same person! Love your dress!! :smile:
  • aidsmith
    aidsmith Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic, and I bet you feel even better. Well done!
  • beautsarah
    beautsarah Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Congrats you look great.
  • Penelope2Plyr
    Penelope2Plyr Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Wow! What a transformation! WTG!!! You do look really great, and I love the black dress. Congratulations.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I KNOW some people get offended by the "you look like a different person" comments, but you truly do. You look smoking now!
  • TheFinalThird
    TheFinalThird Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I've had nothing to do with your success, and we've never even met. But I am sooooo proud of you and happy for you. I would give you a big hug if I could. Congratulations on such an amazing accomplishment. You are truly inspiration to the rest of us who are fighting the good fight! When I hit a vulnerable spot, I will think of your very wise words.

Scott R. in Houston, Tx.
  • AmyS1975
    AmyS1975 Posts: 143
    Options
    Congratulations on your amazing success and thank you for sharing your words of wisdom. You look absolutely stunning!
  • Empowered2C
    Empowered2C Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. Love the pointers you did. You look fantastic. Thanks for sharing. Your story is Inspiring.
  • FitzyFitzpatrick
    FitzyFitzpatrick Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    You've done an awesome job! Now here's to "just a little bit more" and being successful at maintainance!
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    You look great. Thank you for the wise advise.
  • rmandree
    Options
    AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great philosophy. You look wonderful and I hope you accomplish the goal you are shooting for. Now that I saw what you accomplished, this pushed me to do more fitness.
  • idabentley
    idabentley Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Well done Christi and even though things have been difficult for you, you haven't relapsed. You must feel really proud of yourself. You show real tenacity. Truly an inspiration to me and others. I shall remember the 2 years plus when I hit a low. Thank you Christi and hope things work out well for you.
  • The_new_mee
    The_new_mee Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Your such a great inspiration, thanks for sharing!!
  • riacharda
    riacharda Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Wow this is just inspirational! All this change in a matter of 2 years and you kept on going! I'm happy for you, and i'm sure others are also proud for you too! Well done!
  • mrssim
    mrssim Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You look amazing :)
  • jenmurray116
    jenmurray116 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You.Look.Amazing!!!! My jaw is on the floor - it is an unbelievable transformation!! And while I love seeing everyone's transformations, yours really got to me as your my height, just a few years younger than me, and your starting weight was just a few pounds more than mine - seeing your results has made me go from hopeful to excited! :happy: You should be so very proud of yourself - you are definitely an inspiration to me!!
  • cyanidecatharsis
    Options
    You look fantastic, but more importantly - you must feel like a million bucks!

Gratz - hard work really does pay off.
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. Your success looks good on you. And I love that you still are setting goals. It's not a diet, it's a lifestyle. And one that will give you a long and healthy life!
  • ShannonGo
    Options
    Congratulations!!!! Your smile is so vibrant and everpresent on your face now!

I'm 5'3 and I started at 201. My entire goal is to reach a healthy BMI. I gained weight at about 13 and had myself convinced that I was built this way. You are very inspirational! Thank you for sharing!
  • virichi08
    virichi08 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    GOODNESS. HOT MAMA!!! =)
    U dnt even look like the same person. Congrats on ur weight loss. you've come this far, whats another 10-15lbs.

:drinker: :wink: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!