How does insulin work for and against weight loss?

Options
I know Glucose and Fructose are easily ready to be used by muscles and organs, and I know starches (complex carbs) and Sucrose have chains of sugar that need to be broken down before they can be burned, so someone speak sugars, insulin, and burning fat to me and help me understand how this thing works. I am not diabetic, so I don't have to worry too much about sugar; but I do have hypoglycemic moments where I can tell my blood sugar is getting low and I want to know how to handle this when I am restricting calories with the intent of burning excessive fat.

Replies

• love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    When you take insulin, glucose is able to enter your cells, and glucose levels in your blood drop. This is the desired therapeutic goal. However, if the number of calories you take in and your activity level result in more calories than you need to maintain a healthy weight, your cells will get more glucose than they need. Glucose that your cells don't use accumulates as fat.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/insulin-and-weight-gain/DA00139

now while i realize this is an article written for diabetics taking insulin the effect is the same when you raise your insulin levels by ingesting glucose or high GI foods.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Insulin doesn't really have anything to do with weight loss overall. Weight loss is about calories.
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    When you take insulin, glucose is able to enter your cells, and glucose levels in your blood drop. This is the desired therapeutic goal. However, if the number of calories you take in and your activity level result in more calories than you need to maintain a healthy weight, your cells will get more glucose than they need. Glucose that your cells don't use accumulates as fat.

now while i realize this is an article written for diabetics taking insulin the effect is the same when you raise your insulin levels by ingesting glucose or high GI foods.

Our bodies naturally produce insulin (I am not taking it). I just want to know how it works and how to restrict my sugars to NOT trigger an insulin response so I can burn off fat instead of sugar.

EDIT: NEVERMIND. Read the rest of what what you typed... Sorry, I am a skim reader.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Insulin doesn't really have anything to do with weight loss overall. Weight loss is about calories.

Oh, a time-traveller from the 80s has arrived.

Would you like a cup of tea?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Our bodies naturally produce insulin (I am not taking it). I just want to know how it works and how to restrict my sugars to NOT trigger an insulin response so I can burn off fat instead of sugar.

EDIT: NEVERMIND. Read the rest of what what you typed... Sorry, I am a skim reader.
    You burn body fat 24 hours a day, insulin levels don't matter overall. But if you really want to keep insulin from rising, you'd need to not eat any carbs or protein, and very little fat, because just the fact of eating raises insulin.