Nursing mom help!

Options
Hi... I've seen a lot saying to add 500 calories if you're a nursing mom, but has anyone done this and still been starving all day? I've figured my goal out on a few sites and it's always about the same (1900ish) but I swear I'm still hungry. I load up on protein, fruits and veggies, with some dairy and random crackers or something if I have to grab something fast. I'd consider myself a fairly healthy eater but I feel like I'm not getting enough. My supply has dropped a bit, too, but I'm back at work now and relying a lot on pumping so I suppose that could be having an impact. I guess I'm just looking for any advice or opinions from those who have been here before! Thanks!

Replies

• BreezyK77
    Options
    I don't eat nearly the calories you do and my supply has only dropped slightly because my son doesn't gain enough weight per the doctor, I have been told to feed him more solids and formula. My son is 7 months old so he can handle this now. My pediatrcian and my doc told me it isn't exactly the amount of calories you take in, but the water intake that is more important. I drink tons of water and this helps a lot. I don't pump, but I make sure my son is on the breast as much as possible to make sure my supply stays in tact. I hope this helps. Try not to stress:)
  • ChubbieTubbie
    ChubbieTubbie Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    The amount of calories you need to add depends a lot on how much/often your baby nurses. Some women only need 300, some need 600-700 extra according to my doctor. It could be that you aren't getting enough, since your supply is dropping...make sure you drink tons and tons of water and if you're still hungry, snack on fruits or veggies or yogurt--healthy snacks, just don't overdo it.
  • phynyxfyre
    phynyxfyre Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    If baby is nursing frequently, the standard is 500, which then tapers off as baby weans. HOWEVER, the current recommendation is to drink at least three glasses of milk a day and at least eight glasses of water a day. If you aren't already, get back on prenatal multivitamins as well. If you are hungry, eat. Sometimes it helps to just snack through the day. If it is healthy foods, you should be just fine on calories, too.
  • moonblu55
    moonblu55 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Are any nursing moms taking the results and recovery drink from p90x store? Is this safe ? I am nursing a toddler 2 years old and I know I have to be careful with anything you take. I am planning on starting the program on Sunday or Monday with my husband and am not sure if I can take that drink or if I should just stick with something like gatorade. Thanks for replies.
  • phynyxfyre
    Options
    Are any nursing moms taking the results and recovery drink from p90x store? Is this safe ? I am nursing a toddler 2 years old and I know I have to be careful with anything you take. I am planning on starting the program on Sunday or Monday with my husband and am not sure if I can take that drink or if I should just stick with something like gatorade. Thanks for replies.

don't know, but my thought is that anything intended to help with weight loss shouldn't be taken when breastfeeding. My guideline has always been if I wouldn't give it directly to him, I don't take it and nurse.
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    If baby is nursing frequently, the standard is 500, which then tapers off as baby weans. HOWEVER, the current recommendation is to drink at least three glasses of milk a day and at least eight glasses of water a day. If you aren't already, get back on prenatal multivitamins as well. If you are hungry, eat. Sometimes it helps to just snack through the day. If it is healthy foods, you should be just fine on calories, too.

You don't need to drink milk to make milk, we're the only mammals that drink milk past infancy and other species still manage! So do Vegan and dairy free mothers.

Water intake is important though OP. Have you tried making sure you graze throughout the day? Have breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack.
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    My baby is 9 months old and I nursed until he was about 6 months plus I pumped enough to last another 6 months. I was making about 70! ounces a day! I was ravenously hungry all day long! I found that meat and oatmeal helped me feel fuller longer.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Going back to work will take its toll on milk production. Don't worry about losing weight right now and do the best you can. Eat plenty and nurse as often as you can. Continue to pump when you can. Thats all you can do.
  • RunnerBlonde808
    RunnerBlonde808 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I am not currently nursing but I did nurse all 4 of my children until 18 months old. The previous poster is correct that you do not need to drink milk to make milk. Milk is something that we do not need past the infancy part of our lives. The most important part for keeping supply up is drinking non-caffeined fluids. Whether that be water or something else. If you are hungry, eat. Just make sure that it is really hunger and not simply boredom or something else playing into why you want to eat. I was starving all the time the first 6 months I nursed each of my children. I ate a lot and never gained while I was nursing.
  • I'm a nursing mama too :) The 500 calorie a day is an "Average" amount of calories required. I THINK it is the rule for "feeding every 4 hours"..but if you are hungry, go with your body. Make sure you are drinking enough water as well- that will help with supply. My mantra using MFP is that baby comes first... then my weight loss. If I am hungry, I eat. I want to exclusively nurse my son as long as I can. I hope that helps! You are not alone it this... Blessings to you and your family! :)...

and also to the poster about the P90x recovery drink... any beverage or food that is highly processed is something to wait on. "If you wouldn't give it to your baby directly don't eat it" was great advice. I second that :)
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    The amount of calories you need to add depends a lot on how much/often your baby nurses. Some women only need 300, some need 600-700 extra according to my doctor. It could be that you aren't getting enough, since your supply is dropping...make sure you drink tons and tons of water and if you're still hungry, snack on fruits or veggies or yogurt--healthy snacks, just don't overdo it.

500 is just an estimate, you could go over it by 100 or so some days! The above post is right^ It all depends how often you are feeding your baby. Don't stress, if you are hungry at the end of the day just add an extra 100-200 calories. I would also make sure you are drinking enough water to be full, because sometimes hunger is really just thirst! Good luck!

By the way; That child is adorable! =D
  • Heyman09
    Options
    Have you tried kellymom.com to see what they have? I think also ameda.com may have tips as well!!! Good luck to you!!
  • chenoamac
    chenoamac Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Eat steel oatmeals every night before you go to bed and lots of water..
  • tabbykat6802
    tabbykat6802 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    i am still trying to figure out if i am overestimating how many calories I need to take in every day. I am still nursing my youngest(who will be three next week), but he eats maybe 1/2 hr-45 mins a night(broken into small stops to eat). I have kept the 1500 cals on b/c I heard that going below it would not be advisable while nursing. I am meeting w/ someone on Sat to workout a plan of attack on my fat, so I will probably be lowering it after that.

I am here for anyone as a friend if needed.
  • phynyxfyre
    Options
    It is true that you don't need to drink milk to make milk. I believe that the reason the doctor's office recommends it is because there are certain types of proteins in milk and dairy products that can be overlooked in a diet which contribute to milk production. Vegetarian and vegan mothers that are nursing tend to have had a lot of nutrition education in order to maintain a healthy diet. I am not vegan, vegetarian, or a nutrition expert, so I have little of value to say about nutrition in nursing mothers who are.

Anyway, long story short: I concede your point. I did not mean to imply that milk was necessary to make milk, only that it was what the doctor has recommended to me in the last year. :)