exercise after surgery

A couple of months ago I had surgery on seven hernias. I've always had a stomach and was working on my weight. But this time I wasn't allowed to do any type of exercise that would affect my stomach muscles. During this time I lost 24 pounds just by eating the foods my doctor said were safe. Protein drink, cottage cheese, eggs, yogurt, soup and sugar free pudding.
Now that a few months have passed, he says I no longer have to wear the stomach wrap and I can now exercise. I tried to do a sit up yesterday and found out - that hurts! I don't have any stomach muscles anymore. But I would like to slowly create some.
Do you know of any exercise off the top of your head or DVDs I should get that would help (but not kill me)?

Replies

• CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    I would concentrate more on overall core strength building workouts right now over concentrating on just abdominal. Just Google "At home Core building exercises" Best of Luck

I having bad knee's and lower back so I have worked in some core strengthening exercises lately with a kettlebell in PT. (very light kettlebell to start out, concentrating on form in the beginning.)
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Can you start with doing planks? I am no expert (and I have the tummy to prove it!) but I have read that sit ups really aren't the best for creating strong stomach muscles. It seems like every workout DVD I own has some form of plank in with the ab exercises. I'm guessing it must help!:smile: