Vegetarians out there?

Options
Hey!

I'm lacto-ovo vegetarian, and I was wondering if there's anyone else out there who chooses not to eat meat. I have been veggie for three years, but this is the first time I've attempted to lose weight and become healthier as a vegetarian.

I find I sometimes have trouble getting the right balance between protein/carbs/fat, specifically going over on fat and under on protein, and I'm also frequently concerned that I'm not getting complete proteins from my plant based sources. As a result, i wind up eating more dairy and eggs to make sure I'm getting at least some complete proteins.

I also worry about getting enough B12 (I've had my doc tell me that I am low in it) as deficiency in this is a precursor to anemia.

How do you get all the things you need? Do you resort to supplementation, or try and get everything from diet?

Replies

• chantybear
    Options
    I am a veggie too, on the B12 topic I take a 500mg (I believe) B12 little pill, it dissolves under your tongue quickly. Find recipes with tofu and lots of veggies, use beans it usually works out :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Beans, lentils, and tofu will give you your protein and should help you stay under the fat allotment. If you are worried about Iron at all try eating a tablespoon of Blackstrap molasses a day. B12 suppliment for B12 and you should be good to go.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Oh, there are plenty of us on here. I take a supplement everyday for the b12 but that's about it.
  • trshumway
    trshumway Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi fellow Veggie-

I am closer to vegan than a vegetarian and, thanks to this site, find that I meet my daily allowance of protein almost every day. This site has really opened up my mind to the fact there is protein in everything that we eat, and if we balance our diets well, whether vegetarian, vegan, or meat eater, we will meet our daily protein intake goals. Keep in mind that as humans we do not need protein heavy diets, and as I said, almost everything has some protein in it, so it is matter of getting small doses from a variety of foods. I hope this makes sense. Like you, I always worried about my protein intake, then I started using this site and was amazed by the wide variety of food that contains protein, even if only in small amounts. It's all about proper balance. So, if you are new to this site, pay attention to your diary and keep it balanced and you will see the protein add up, trust me! Happy Thanksgiving - have you ever tried Tofurky? It's really good - I look forward to it every year at this time! Enjoy your holiday!
  • kaytbognar
    Options
    Don't you need to combine legumes in order to get complete proteins from them, though? I know whole grains will complete the amino acid cocktail you need, but I never know in what quantity and how close in time-span you need to do the combining. I had a lot of vegetarian friends in school who had an eye-opening time in our nutrition section of pysiology realizing that their weight gain since becoming vegetarin was likely from incomplete proteins going unutilized and being stored as fat.

That's always what I've never had the perfect handle on: knowing how much of what, and when to eat it. :(

You guys know any more about that stuff?

I didn't know about the blackstrap molasses and B12, that's very helpful as we have that in the kitchen here! I'm in a position where I don't have to opportunity or the funds, really, to pick up a B12 supplement right now.
  • sournotez
    Options
    Switch to skim milk and egg whites. That'll cut all of the fat out and leave you with great proteins! I eat a lot of fake meats that are low in fat and high in protein. Also, for breakfast, check into Special K protein plus cereal, and Kashi Go Lean (crunch or original). I get a huge chunk of my daily protein just from those, especially when you add a cup of skim milk!
  • kaytbognar
    Options
    Switch to skim milk and egg whites. That'll cut all of the fat out and leave you with great proteins! I eat a lot of fake meats that are low in fat and high in protein. Also, for breakfast, check into Special K protein plus cereal, and Kashi Go Lean (crunch or original). I get a huge chunk of my daily protein just from those, especially when you add a cup of skim milk!

I always forget about separating the whites from the egg, that's a good idea! Sadly, I have to skip milk entirely, I find, becuase I find it gives me pretty vicious stomach pains whenever I drink it. Dunno why, exactly, but it's just milk that murders me.

Fake meats kinda give me the heebies (a large part of why I'm veggie is an aversion to the texture and idea of meat itself) but the protein-rich cereals is a great idea, too! Thanks!
    This site has really opened up my mind to the fact there is protein in everything that we eat, and if we balance our diets well, whether vegetarian, vegan, or meat eater, we will meet our daily protein intake goals. Keep in mind that as humans we do not need protein heavy diets, and as I said, almost everything has some protein in it, so it is matter of getting small doses from a variety of foods.

It was this site that reminded me to be wary of my protein intake, though with all nutritional information I get frustrated not knowing what is complete and what is incomplete protein (for instance, I'm pretty sure that 1g of protein in my whole wheat bread is incomplete, and doesn't have all the amino acids necessary for it to be used in the body.) This is my big problem. I know a little bit about combining proteins, but not enough to know how to do it properly.

I know people don't need that much protein, but what about when you're working out, not only to burn calories/boost cardio but trying to build muscle as well? What % of your calories do you have set for protein, if you don't mind me asking?
    Happy Thanksgiving - have you ever tried Tofurky? It's really good - I look forward to it every year at this time! Enjoy your holiday!

Thanks, same to you! I skipped the tofurkey at thanksgiving (I'm Canadian, so we had it last month) cause turkey's always the least interesting thing on the table to me, but I did get my fix of sweet potato pie, cranberry sauce, special-made veggie stuffing, and my mom's amazing weight watcher's pumpkin chiffon pie!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options
    Fake meats kinda give me the heebies (a large part of why I'm veggie is an aversion to the texture and idea of meat itself) but the protein-rich cereals is a great idea, too! Thanks!

Ha...for me too! I ususally eat straight tofu or TVP/TSP. I do occaisionally eat a morningstar chik'n patty. I've never tried their 'cow' products. I've never eaten cow or pig so I have no desire to try something that's supposed to taste like them.
    Eat quinoa or quinoa pasta-it's got all the essential amino acids and it's so tasty. Also, check out bobs red mill products-awesome stuff!
  • kaytbognar
    Options

Ha...for me too! I ususally eat straight tofu or TVP/TSP. I do occaisionally eat a morningstar chik'n patty. I've never tried their 'cow' products. I've never eaten cow or pig so I have no desire to try something that's supposed to taste like them.
    Eat quinoa or quinoa pasta-it's got all the essential amino acids and it's so tasty. Also, check out bobs red mill products-awesome stuff!

I used to eat all kinds of meat, but when I was in school we did cadaver labs, and I never quite got over the fact that dead person looks just like dead anything else, and it all just kinda looks like jerky if you leave it lying around too long. Stopped eating meat right then.

Mmmm, I love quinoa! I didn't know that it had all the goodies in it though, that makes it even BETTER :D I love the steel cut oats from bob's red mill, but my access to those products is limited :( --> I'm currently living at working at a teeny tiny hotel in Utuado and I have no car or any other way to get around. Everything I eat comes out of the hotel kitchen, which is pretty well stocked with healthy things, but lacks a few key things I'd like and am used to having to round out my diet. Maybe I'll put in a special request next time groceries come up, though.

Also, I freaking LOVE your gambit/rigue iconage! X-men are my FAVOURITE (esp, ultimate x-men like in your userpic--that was definitely a hit issue with me :D:D) and since I was a kid I just LOVED Gambit and Rogue!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options

I used to eat all kinds of meat, but when I was in school we did cadaver labs, and I never quite got over the fact that dead person looks just like dead anything else, and it all just kinda looks like jerky if you leave it lying around too long. Stopped eating meat right then.

Mmmm, I love quinoa! I didn't know that it had all the goodies in it though, that makes it even BETTER :D I love the steel cut oats from bob's red mill, but my access to those products is limited :( --> I'm currently living at working at a teeny tiny hotel in Utuado and I have no car or any other way to get around. Everything I eat comes out of the hotel kitchen, which is pretty well stocked with healthy things, but lacks a few key things I'd like and am used to having to round out my diet. Maybe I'll put in a special request next time groceries come up, though.

Also, I freaking LOVE your gambit/rigue iconage! X-men are my FAVOURITE (esp, ultimate x-men like in your userpic--that was definitely a hit issue with me :D:D) and since I was a kid I just LOVED Gambit and Rogue!

It sucks that you're kinda stranded. They do have a website (so much to choose from) so you might be able to try that.
    Oh, I can handle dead people...just not animals (hince the reason I didn't go to vet school-like I had been planning since I was like, 6). I've done several studies at the sheriffs office on and off and have seen my fair share of bodies (I do think that I would be quite good as a mortician).
    Gambit and Rogue are also my faves-and my hubbies. We go to DragonCon every year and we usually go as them...although this past year we went as Logan and Jean (my hubby has chops so it worked and I usually have my hair dyed red).

*edit for spelling-I seem to think faster than I can type sometimes.
  • kaytbognar
    Options

It sucks that you're kinda stranded. They do have a website (so much to choose from) so you might be able to try that.
    Oh, I can handle dead people...just not animals (hince the reason I didn't go to vet school-like I had been planning since I was like, 6). I've done several studies at the sheriffs office on and off and have seen my fair share of bodies (I do think that I would be quite good as a mortician).
    Gambit and Rogue are also my faves-and my hubbies. We go to DragonCon every year and we usually go as them...although this past year we went as Logan and Jean (my hubby has chops so it worked and I usually have my hair dyed red).

*edit for spelling-I seem to think faster than I can type sometimes.

I could (and did) handle the dead bodies, it was great for learning assessment (cadaver lab was part of my anatomy and assessment courses in massage school) but the idea of mowing down on carcass just did me in. I've always liked the idea of mortuary work, especially because it would reduce the amount public stupidity you have to deal with!

I'll check into the website, I didn't know they had one (though I should have figured.) My boss is considering going vegetarian, too, so maybe I can convince him to give some new stuff a try and maybe expand our menu to be a little more veggie-friendly.

It's awesome that you went as Logan and Jean (and that your hubby had the home grown chops to pull it off!) Logan is, by far, my all time favourite fictional character EVER, especially 'cause he's Canadian. I took my last job in the Alberta Rockies in part because it's Logan's neighborhood (and I got to see a real Wolverine one day hiking up a mountain, too!) I just can't get enough of that canucklehead!
  • chantybear
    Options
    Tofurky is very good, and the stuffing is delicious. Pair it up with some veggie gravy...yumm....
  • BooKitty
    Options
    Hello - I'm not exactly a "vegetarian" although most people call me that, and it requires too much energy to explain, so I let it go. I eat fish, seafood, dairy and eggs. No red meat or poultry at all.

The hardest thing for me is where I live. "Vegetarian" is basically a foreign word here in Miami. People look at you like you're some kind of psycho-weirdo if you say "I don't eat meat". This is definitely not a progressive or environmentally-conscious city, with the exception of protection of beaches and marine animals.

I don't take supplements of any kinds, and my last few yearly physicals turned out great. Doc said my blood is "perfect". Not deficient in anything at all. I eat lots of veggies, tofu/ soy products, quinoa, beans, hummus.

As a bit of a side note, I CANNOT handle dead bodies at all. I wonder if this is somehow related to the fact that meat totally grosses me out?? I never thought about it until now! I HATE wakes/ funerals, and I will avoid looking at an open casket at any cost.

Interesting food for thought.... (pun intended)

Cheers!
    Erin
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian here as well. I take a daily supplement to cover my nutes. Biggest thing for me is getting enough protein daily. I eat a lot of whole grains, beans, and milk products. Eggs are also yummy and quite healthy for you.

I come from a weird background. I was an avid carnivore, grew up in a hunting family (and to this day I can cook a steak better than most of my meat-eating friends). I also grew up on a farm, so I've seen how the animals are treated on your average farm and honestly its not as bad as a lot of people try to make it seem. There are far less animal abuses than people think.

One day meat just started making me nauseous when I ate it. Not sure why, never really cared to find out since I felt better on the veggies and I have the option to just not eat it. Songbyrd said it may have something to do with my body not producing something... not sure. I still rarely eat meat on super-special occasions where I think it'll be worth getting sick the next day but that is extremely rare.

As for dead bodies, I'm an Italian. My dad was one of the middle of 8 kids. His mom and dad were in families of 11 and 13. So growing up there was always someone kicking the bucket, so I kinda grew up going to funerals a lot. Doesn't really bother me any.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options
    Hello - I'm not exactly a "vegetarian" although most people call me that, and it requires too much energy to explain, so I let it go. I eat fish, seafood, dairy and eggs. No red meat or poultry at all.

The hardest thing for me is where I live. "Vegetarian" is basically a foreign word here in Miami. People look at you like you're some kind of psycho-weirdo if you say "I don't eat meat". This is definitely not a progressive or environmentally-conscious city, with the exception of protection of beaches and marine animals.

I don't take supplements of any kinds, and my last few yearly physicals turned out great. Doc said my blood is "perfect". Not deficient in anything at all. I eat lots of veggies, tofu/ soy products, quinoa, beans, hummus.

As a bit of a side note, I CANNOT handle dead bodies at all. I wonder if this is somehow related to the fact that meat totally grosses me out?? I never thought about it until now! I HATE wakes/ funerals, and I will avoid looking at an open casket at any cost.

Interesting food for thought.... (pun intended)

Cheers!
    Erin

Actually...you are a vegetarian...you're pesco, ovo, and lacto....meaning that you eat seafood, eggs, and dairy.
    I'm the same way...I just don't eat eggs unless they are baked into something (ie cake, yum).
  • kaytbognar
    Options
    Mmmmm...cake! That's, like, the healthiest vegetarian dish there is right?

Gosh, I really want a slice of chocolate cake. >.<
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options
    Mmmmm...cake! That's, like, the healthiest vegetarian dish there is right?

Gosh, I really want a slice of chocolate cake. >.<

Yep...it contains wheat, eggs, milk, chocolate...yep, very healthy.

My birthday is in 12 days...so I'll be having some kind of yummy cake then.
  • tangledsky
    Options
    Another veggie here... 6 years. It is a common misconception that animal-based proteins are better than plant & fruit proteins. You can easily get all your protein from veggies and legumes and grains. Check this out: http://www.ivu.org/faq/protein.html

It's a pretty detailed explanation, but the point is that you can get all the protein you need, plus some, from all vegan sources. So, if your goal is to lighten up on the dairy products, just up your intake of beans, soy, and grains, and you'll be all set protein-wise.
  • esussman
    Options

Hi Everyone! I wanted to comment on a few postings. First, it was mentioned to take the egg yolk out of the egg however I disagree (I am a registered dietitan). The yolk has more protein, by weight, then the egg white. The yolk also contains Vitamins A, D, E and K. It is important to eat at least one yolk when making eggs to get the full nutrients.
    I know people don't need that much protein, but what about when you're working out, not only to burn calories/boost cardio but trying to build muscle as well? What % of your calories do you have set for protein, if you don't mind me asking?

The average protein requirement for individuals is .8g per kilogram of body weight. You can determine how much you weigh in kilograms by dividing your weight by 2.2. You will notice that you may not need as much protein as you think. With that said, being a vegetarian, there are still ways to get complete proteins into your diet. Eggs and milk, for example, are a complete protein. "Complete" meaning it has all 9 essential amino acids you can only get from food and that your body cannot make. If you do not like dairy, you can combine foods to make a complete protein, such as whole wheat pasta with legumes. There are many websites that offer these types of combinations.

Hope this helps and good luck!