Goal piece of clothing

Options
Has anyone bought an item of clothing (say a dress, a skirt, a pair of jeans etc) that they have bought in a smaller size and have worked their butt off to get to that stage?

I am wondering whether this is a silly thing to do or whether people actually do it!

A friend recommended I do it but then how do you know whether your body shape will fit into it when you've reached your goal?

I know some out there will be thinking "what a stupid, unrealistic thing to do" but I've heard of a couple of people do it and wonder what motivates people to lose weight apart from the obvious (to get skinnier/fitter etc etc). Is it something that you aim to fit into?

Replies

• heytherestephy
    heytherestephy Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I'm a size 14 jean and bought a size 12 jean to strive for. My goal is a 10/12 jean ultimately being 6'0" hahaha. It's not a stupid idea, loads of people do it.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    189710525586P.JPG
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I agree you need to be careful with what you choose, but you should be able to do it. If it is jeans, get them in a style you currently wear, just a smaller size. They will still most likely fit. Or try on a garment at the store you like, find one that fits. Then buy it a size or two (or three?) smaller! Another idea would be to find something you love that is too small at a secondhand shop, so if it does not really look great on you by the time it should fit, you aren't out a ton of money....

I personally had a pair of white jeans I had in my "skinny" days almost 10 years ago, and they just started fitting recently. I had hung them in my bathroom for 2 months. I need a new goal garment, heck, I may head to a secondhand store myself now....
  • Carol_L
    Carol_L Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    A custom made evening gown from my university days.

The only problem will be finding someplace to wear it. No one seems to have a sense of occasion anymore, or any dress sense.:angry:
  • nuffexercise2012
    Options
    Jean in the back of the closet, that are starting fit again...So go ahead find something that you like and buy it in a smaller size. Or something that's in the closet you thought would never fit again.:flowerforyou:
  • rusialeelee
    Options
    yes! Go shopping in your closet down memory lane. I'm sure you have clothes that used to fit you but now don't. I did my confirmation dress, jr high dress, prom dress, this random sundress, etc.etc.
  • iloso
    iloso Posts: 156
    Options
    A size medium shirt and a size 32 jeans. Im currently at 33.5 from 34.
  • small_ninja
    small_ninja Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I have my eye on a particular pair of jeans that I want to be able to fit into. I'm pretty short and not many places stock petite clothing where I'm from. These were the first pair of petite jeans that I'd been able to find, but they only go up to an NZ size 8 (US2-4?). I'm determined to fit into them coz regular length ones (even when tailored) never end up fitting right :frown:

I've been in to try them on and I can JUST get the button done up, but they look pretty bad. Will buy them after I've lost another couple of kilos :smile:
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I would love if I could fit back in an old pair of favorite jeans. They cut lower then I wear jeans now (because of my love handles). I think I can put them on, but they're way too tight in the hips/thighs -- which is my problem area anyway. If I could fit into those before Christmas, I would be happy.
  • newyorklover91
    newyorklover91 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I am thinking a nice summery dress for Christmas day (I live in Australia!)

I would love to be able to buy a bikini but I have big boobs so I don't think I'll go there until I'm at my goal, bit risky!

Keep suggesting guys! :)
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    My wife bought me a shirt which turned out to be a slim fit. It would look ridiculously good on a well built man, and ridiculous on the alternative.

She offered to return it but I decided that I will look ridiculously good in it next summer.
  • sparkle52387
    sparkle52387 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It's a GREAT thing to do -- put together an outfit or just a piece of clothing and hang it somewhere you will see it everyday, to remind you why you are working out and why you are making healthier eating choices. This last week I fit into my first pair of "goal pants" and have gotten another pair of too-small jeans out of the closet and hung them in the same place, I see them every morning when I wake up and every time I walk into my bedroom.
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I have a rocking hot pink Tankini that I looked HOT in before my son when I was around 128ish.

I have kept it, I want to be in it by next summer. I have all fall, winter, and spring to work towards it.

I plan to look HOT in it again!!
  • korryn92
    korryn92 Posts: 12
    Options
    After my birthday last year I bought some skinny style jeans online because I have lost enough weight ti finally look good in them if I found a pair that fit. I started dieting a year before then and thought since I actually lost weight and felt good I should get something for myself. Well when I got the jeans one pair fit really tight and the rest are soooooo close LOL So instead of paying postage to send them back I kept them and am still working on getting into them. I am determined!

I am also helping my mom clean out her garage she has been using as a storage shed. I found some of my old clothes in there that I miss wearing so bad and decided to wash and keep them as goals as well. They are about 2 sizes or so too small depending on each piece of clothing.

I say it's a good way to get motivated and just stick to clothes that fit your body shape now, but just smaller. :happy:
  • MarlinWil
    MarlinWil Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    My mum-in-law (sweetest woman in the world!) went op-shopping with me recently and bought two INCREDIBLE little black dresses for me. One is a slinky halter-neck in a figure-hugging fabric with uneven hemline, and the other is a seriously spunky number that is also figure hugging, with a fitted stretch lining, and lacey stretch fabric over the top. It has little capped sleeves (just on the shoulder) in lace, and lovely low front and back. I have NO cleavage, but my goodness are they going to look great when I have lost a few more kg.

I am going to bring them out separately (don't want my husband completely comatose two nights in a row), and surprise hubby with them. We don't go out for dinner, so I will be cooking something special that we can share once the girls are asleep - there will be candles. Can't wait, and I'm REALLY looking forward to the look on his face when I tell him that his mum bought them for me!! She is a sweet little old lady who is completely conservative-looking on the outside and has a wicked sense of style and fun on the inside. LOVE HER!

The cool thing is he is behaving badly at the moment, and while I am giving him the gift of forgiveness (and it's sometimes not an easy one to give), he is giving me time to achieve my goal before I am tempted to "spoil" him. Win, win. And when I DO wow him, boy is he going to be kicking himself for being a bit of a pig and wasting time instead of appreciating his hard-working and disciplined wife. Probably a bit off-topic, but this is my wee pep-talk, and probably there are a few of you out there that can relate - keep your chins up girls, we are worth it.

Definitely not stupid to have something as a goal item. I think I will post pics when I get mine on, and let you all have a gander. It is taking ages to get there, but I am so glad you posted this thread. Thank you - I am all excited again. Spoil yourself, my friend, and rejoice in the journey, and even more when you get there!!
  • ParaSempreAmor11
    ParaSempreAmor11 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    size 4-6 jeans !! currently size 10 and size small - medium in shirts
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    i have a skirt that belonged to my younger sister...it is my goal to get into it...i can, but it is tight...i want to be able to wear it with ease and not worry about looking fat.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Yes! I actually have about 5 or 6 pieces of clothing that are too small for me right now.

I have 1 pair of pants which is 1 size smaller.
    I have 3 shirts that are about a "m" size. They COULD fit...but then they would be destroyed if I moved.
    I also just bought a new blazer. IT IS TINY! It may not fit my body properly when I get to that size...but if I can do it up (even if its too short for my torso) that would be wonderful.

I am currently searching for motivation, and I was thinking about hanging these pieces of clothing in the living room and perhaps even the kitchen! HA visitors will look at me like I'm crazy...but I think it will make a big difference.
  • trixiemou
    trixiemou Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I have underwear that I can only fit into when I lose those few pounds. Also a dress that I picked up in a sale, that was a bit too 'comfortable' in the fit, but I didnt mind the wait.

Saves spending a fortune on something that is only going to hang there, and you get the joy of wearing new stuff as you are losing.
  • Tank_Girl
    Tank_Girl Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I very nearly bought a gorgeous tan real suede blazer in small/medium but I baulked and bought the choc medium/large instead
    I think im just gonna take this 1 step at a time