This is why we shouldn't even have it in the house...

Options
I had been pretty good up until my cousin's wedding (had to buy a new dress and wanted to lose as much weight as possible before then). I did good...then we went on vacation....and my daughter was home from daycare because she starts first grade and we made cupcakes....and the excuse list continues.

Anyway, I had I don't know how many mini-choc chip cookies leftover from vacation road trip, a cupcake and finished off my son's leftover cupcake. Sugar does that to me, one little taste and I need more, it's like an addiction.

I was feeling better after reading the "You Are Not Different" post, I even did a Wii Fit free run for 30 minutes - and rewarded myself with a cupcake...hmmmmm. Somehow the "I have to eat them all as soon as possible so they'll be gone and I can't eat them anymore" theory makes total sense! [sarcasm]

Replies

• myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    something that helped me realize i needed to look at food as fuel not a rewards was this saying. "Don't reward yourself with food, you are not a dog!"
  • rubyautumn4
    rubyautumn4 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Don't let this derail you, today was one day and it's not over yet. So it wasn't the healthiest day....that's ok. We all slip up. Eye on the ball and let's get back on track!
  • going2befit4ever
    going2befit4ever Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    it makes sense to me this week it was carrot chocolate cake that called out to me until it was gone (3 slices yesterday) removed its influence
  • 4theluvofme
    Options
    That's me with chocolate icecream! My weakness! Once I get some I crave it daily! It's horrible! I eat frozen yogurt now and love it just as much. There are many alternatives out there for your weakness foods. :smile:
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Some people have the strength to eat those kinda of things in moderation right from the get go... I for one was not one of them, I literally had to bring in 2 - 32 gallon trash cans and empty the house of all trigger foods and replaced them with healthy options. Now fast forward to today and my relationship with food has changed to the point where it is no longer a comfort thing, it is more of a fuel my body mentality so today I can keep things in the house and do but hardly ever eat them because my food choice have changed so much I prefer the healthier options over those triggers these days.... Best of Luck....
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Oh boy.
    Been there!
    Time to regroup.
    Get to the store and buy the foods that you need for your weightloss to work.
    Get yourself ready for tomorrow.
    Get back to it, and let bygones be bygones!
    Have a great week!
  • MTBrob
    MTBrob Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    S Happens ( "Sugar" hehe) Just move on ... Knowing your weaknesses is very empowering.

Quit being weak and next time ask your self.. This one cup cake which brings just a fleeting joy which is followed by guilt is more important than staying on track and reaching your true goal?
  • Ruthe8
    Ruthe8 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    something that helped me realize i needed to look at food as fuel not a rewards was this saying. "Don't reward yourself with food, you are not a dog!"
    Can someone explain to me why rewarding yourself with food has ANYTHING to do with being a dog? I hate this phrase. Food is fun to eat. If it was just fuel we would all eat bland gruel loaded with vitamin pills. We should learn to enjoy food and fit that into a healthy lifestyle.
  • MTBrob
    MTBrob Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Can someone explain to me why rewarding yourself with food has ANYTHING to do with being a dog? I hate this phrase. Food is fun to eat. If it was just fuel we would all eat bland gruel loaded with vitamin pills. We should learn to enjoy food and fit that into a healthy lifestyle.

THis mentality is why the majority is on MFP in the first place.. Food is just a fuel source, True fun is taking your shirt off and not feeling ashamed.... Thats ok though you can eat your ice cream, I will eat my fuel.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

2194_12893-620x-THATS_A_BINGO.jpg
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options

You have obviously never had a dog. You train them with food treats. You sit, get a treat.. stay.. get a treat.. *kitten* in the yard, get a treat... so on and so on and so on.. it's called learned behavior and yes it works with humans too.
  • Watermelon_Crush
    Watermelon_Crush Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    That was me at easter with chocolate 'well if it's all gone then it won't be bad anymore' LOL

I lost 6 stone before switching over in the last week to mfp, and I've had loads of cupcake incidents along the way!

What I try and ask myself before eating something bad now is 'does this taste as good as it feels when I step on the scales and lose that pound or two?' ....now, every so often, when I'm in real craving mode, the answer will still be yes LOL But actually, the majority of the time the answer is no.
  • Ruthe8
    Options

You have obviously never had a dog. You train them with food treats. You sit, get a treat.. stay.. get a treat.. *kitten* in the yard, get a treat... so on and so on and so on.. it's called learned behavior and yes it works with humans too.
    Jesus, I know dogs are trained with food. I also know that all animals including humans enjoy tasty food. If you all want to pretend like you don't, please feel free.
  • Ruthe8
    Options

THis mentality is why the majority is on MFP in the first place.. Food is just a fuel source, True fun is taking your shirt off and not feeling ashamed.... Thats ok though you can eat your ice cream, I will eat my fuel.
    I eat my ice cream and still maintain a healthy weight, but you have fun eating tasteless crap and thinking that food isn't for enjoyment.
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Sugar is my downfall, too. Even when I'm under my calories that stupid sugar number is always red! You're not alone, and you can pick up and start again tomorrow.
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options

food IS fun i agree, i love cooking up a delicious meal and enjoying it. obviously i didnt come up with the phrase so i cant tell you how it came about, but i do agree with it. i'm not telling the OP she HAS TO agree with it, but it was something that helped me personally overcome my binges. and trust me i love my cheat meals here and there they help keep me sane. but i dont bust my *kitten* in a workout and then "reward" myself with a cupcake or three afterwards because i think i earned it. i try to load up with a nutritious meal afterwards so i can feel good about what i just did instead of guilty later on for indulging probably more than i needed to.
  • Ruthe8
    Options
    food IS fun i agree, i love cooking up a delicious meal and enjoying it. obviously i didnt come up with the phrase so i cant tell you how it came about, but i do agree with it. i'm not telling the OP she HAS TO agree with it, but it was something that helped me personally overcome my binges. and trust me i love my cheat meals here and there they help keep me sane. but i dont bust my *kitten* in a workout and then "reward" myself with a cupcake or three afterwards because i think i earned it. i try to load up with a nutritious meal afterwards so i can feel good about what i just did instead of guilty later on for indulging probably more than i needed to.
    I asked if you could explain the phrase. You haven't.
  • CrystalFlury
    CrystalFlury Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Ohhh I know that feeling all too well!! I still have problems with sweets and various "bad" foods. Today my fiance and I made the mistake of going to a pizza buffet for lunch. Big mistake. I ate 4 pieces of pizza and continued on to the dessert pizza and consumed at least 5 pieces of that. Worst part, this evening I went on to eat dinner (when I wasn't hungry) and ate a sonic blast-type dessert. SO NOT a good food day for me :-( I'm stuff right now and feel miserable.
  • jdcoop79
    jdcoop79 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! "Don't reward yourself with food, you are not a dog" I love that! I think I'll do my best tomorrow to avoid the fridge and send the crap to work with my husband on Monday! I work from home, so the temptation to grab something awful isn't so bad, cupcakes and soft-baked cookies are my achilles heal. Having ready to eat veggies and salad in the fridge was working for me, I would start off dinner by eating a salad with a 1/2 tbsp of low-fat dressing, usually filled me up enough to eat less at dinner.
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options

I eat my ice cream and still maintain a healthy weight, but you have fun eating tasteless crap and thinking that food isn't for enjoyment.

Saying food is strictly fuel is like saying sex is strictly for procreation. I don't get those people. My goal here is to learn to eat ice cream in moderation, not ban it altogether. What a sad life that would be...