South Beach Diet help!

Options
Hi Everyone, I've been reading quite abit about the south beach diet, and I just wondered if you could share your experience on it, and if you gained all the weight back when you stopped doing it? Do you think it's better than Atkins?? Did it upset your tummy when you starting eating carbs again?
Also, what are some breakfast ideas? Or meal plans that I could find??
Thank you so much!

Replies

• pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I did South Beach diet a few years ago and it did work for me. I lost a few lbs maybe 6 or 7 after 2 weeks. Staying away from the carbs was not an issue, but I found it expensive to keep up financially with the required ingredients for the daily menu in the book.
    I did gain the weight back when I stopped the south beach diet and my stomach did not get upset with carbs again but I'm me and you are you so that might be different for everyone. Never tried Atkins.

Breakfast ideas and meal plans are all laid out in the South Beach Diet book.
  • saraketner
    Options
    I also did the South Beach Diet a few years ago. I didn't follow the menu strictly but used it more as a guideline. Once I got past the first 2 weeks it was pretty easy to follow, and with exercise, I was able to lose 30 pounds.
    During the first phase I ate a lot of eggs and veggies for breakfast.
    I remember going on a potato binge when I stopped the Diet, and I did gain the weight back, and then some, but that is partially due to having 2 babies since I was on the program.
    Good luck!
  • blondeheat
    blondeheat Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I have used the South Beach diet. I lost weight quickly and did put it back on after stopping. I think I put on the weight because it did not help me learn the right amount to eat and made all refined flour "bad". I also found it to be very expensive to buy much fresh veg, meat and cheese. It is also time consuming to follow strictly because almost everything has to be made from scratch.

For breakfast I made enough fritta on the weekend for the whole week.

On the positive side, the recipes are tasty and the diet is generally heathy.

One thing to watch - I had problems with bonking when I tried to exercise heavily on this diet (heavily means 2-3 hours of biking at 18+ mph).

Good Luck!
  • AmberLeeLOSE50
    Options
    I am on the south beach diet now! I have tried it once before and lost ten pounds but had to stop because I got pregnant. I love this diet! The first few days were hard though beacuse I live for sweets. I am on my second day now and already lost 1 POUND. Its really not hard to stick to after the first three days. You don't even crave the carbs or sweets. I have a family so whenever I cook for them I try to have meats with the meal. Like I am making them stew tonight and am only eating the meat out of it and add some veggies. After dinner I enjoy a fat free sugar free chocolate pudding. I would not recommend the Atkins diet because you are more likely to gain the weight back + you never ever get to eat carbs or sweets again, only foods high in saturated fats. On the other hand south beach diets has phases to re-introduce you to how your body should process sugars and after the two week phase 1 you can start slowly adding bread into your diet. Great diet if you want to lose weight!!!
  • jenniffer86
    jenniffer86 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Great thanks~!! I think I might just have to go buy the book then, and give this a shot! I'm looking to loose another 25lbs, so hopefully this will jump start me in that direction. It's been pretty slow weightloss for me so far.. which I find discouraging.. i like the idea of loosing 10lbs in a couple weeks! =)
  • Positively_Me
    Positively_Me Posts: 1,500 Member
    Options
    I have tried the diet a few years ago, amongt the other diets i have tried. the first 2 weeks, for me, were really hard. i think i lost like 7 pounds with-in the first phase...but sad to report i gain it back, and some.

instead of buying a copy...first borrow the book from your local library...the library would have the latest edition....and see if you like the program. that is what i did.

Hope that helps.
  • jenniffer86
    jenniffer86 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks! that's a great idea, I will look into going to the library! =)
  • tzvishear
    Options
    the south beach diet as well as all other fad diets don't do what you really need to do to lose and keep off the weight. you need to control portion sizes, keep to a certain calorie profile and exercise. you can eat as many eggs as you like but after you get sick and tired of it you gain the weight right back because you never trained yourself how, what, and how much to eat. one thing they stress on this site is to eat small snacks throughout the day so you are not starving by the time you get to your next meal. sorry to be the voice of negativity, but the only way to lose weight is to eat less calories than you burn off in the day.
  • tzvishear
    Options
    the south beach diet as well as all other fad diets don't do what you really need to do to lose and keep off the weight. you need to control portion sizes, keep to a certain calorie profile and exercise. you can eat as many eggs as you like but after you get sick and tired of it you gain the weight right back because you never trained yourself how, what, and how much to eat. one thing they stress on this site is to eat small snacks throughout the day so you are not starving by the time you get to your next meal. sorry to be the voice of negativity, but the only way to lose weight is to eat less calories than you burn off in the day.