What do you consider cheating?

Options
13»

Replies

• JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses! I didn't mean for folks to get hung up on the term cheating. But it is something that I have struggled with. In the past I've had such an all or nothing attitude that "cheating" or making bad food choices or just going over my calories would have thrown me into a tailspin. Yesterday, I ate half a pizza. Today, I ate the other half. Yesterday, I remained within my calories because I exercised a lot. Today, I will not unless I manage to squeeze in some exercise before bed (not likely 'cause I have a ton of things to do).
    Whatever term you use, it's the attitude that bothers me. An attitude that so many people have towards food (myself included) that connects eating with wrongdoing, failure and guilt. Particular foods, or food groups get demonised, while others are deemed to be "good". All I can say is that it's not helped me get healthier (physically or mentally) in the past. Food is just food, and none of it is responsible for me becoming obese. No one day of overeating is going to make me obese again. It's about finding that balance and making sure that the choices I make most of the time are ones that support my health. I know that I'm not going to derail my weight-loss goals because I've learned to trust myself to stay within the (loose) boundaries I've set, and to not give up. That trust takes a little while to develop I think, especially if you've tried to lose weight before. I think that if you give it time, you'll find that it'll become less of a mental battle.
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I only consider not logging food as cheating, because doing that means you are lying to yourself about how much you are eating. And that's what got md to be overweight in the first place! So as long asi track everything I eat, even if it's over at least I know why I didn't lose that week or gained.