2»

Replies

• cyberskirt
    cyberskirt Posts: 218
    Options

Most amazing link EVER.
  • jazujazu
    Options
    If you are used to having packaged snacks, try making some of your own. Making jerky in the oven is easy. Slice lean meat really thin, marinate it however you like, lay the strips on a wire rack over a cookie sheet, and dry them in the oven on the lowest setting for a couple hours. An ounce should be around 80 cals. Carrot and celery sticks are easy to prepare ahead and enjoy on the go. Same with grapes. If you like eggs, it's easy to hard boil a bunch ahead to slice over salads, make into deviled eggs, eat plain, etc. Figure out what sorts of fresh foods you enjoy/are satisfied by, and get more of the same.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    What do you normally eat? In general, figure out what you want to eat and make your own version of it. You are going to do a whole hell of a lot of cooking so be prepared.
  • toniRAD
    toniRAD Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Vegetables, fruits, eggs, oats, organic peanut butter, meat, tuna, ezekiel bread (or other natural breads), nuts, hummus, beans..

That's all that comes to my mind at the moment lol.
  • theactionfigure
    Options
    ALL great info! Thanks for everyone's advice and best of luck on your fitness journey!
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    I know you didn't say you were starting a raw food diet, but this will help you with buying unprocessed foods. I am not a 100% raw foody but I try to incorporate raw food into every meal I eat. I can tell you that if I don't get enough raw food an a given day, the next day I wake up craving salad the first thing in the morning. I don't wind up eating salad for breakfast, but I do wind up making a great green juice and having that before breakfast because that usually means my body is off balance (more acid than alkaline). If you have time read about acid vs alkaline. You'll be amazed; I was.

http://www.thebestofrawfood.com/vegan-shopping-list.html
  • Bootzey
    Bootzey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Plan your meals and cook from scratch
  • nikkitodhunter
    Options
    "Don't buy anything that has more than three ingredients. If you have to Google it to know what it is, don't buy it. If it comes out of a box, jar, can, or bag, it's processed."

^ My boyfriend's words. He's a HUGE anti-processed food nut and has partially converted me.

Ermm...that's ridiculous. Sorry, but it just plain is.

There's been plenty of foods I've had to google to know what they are. Zucchinis for one! Not processed.

Apples can come in a bag. Brown rice comes in a bag or box, as does pearl barey, chia seeds, lentils...etc. The most that has been done to these, as long as you don't buy white rice, is they've maybe been dried or packed in water (e.g. canned chickpeas.)

This is a narrow-minded and ignorant way of choosing your food, and you're going to end up with a lot of very bland veggies and chicken! Spices, sauces, etc....all processed, all basically ok (make your own sauces from basic ingredients, use your own discretion, you'll be ok.)

Are we going to pretend that olive oil, organic no-added-sugar peanut/almond butter, chopped tinned tomatoes, dried fruits, or yoghurts are really going to harm us and our diets that much?
    Yeah...NO.
  • kgates121
    kgates121 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I agree with the raw nuts. Costco carries raw almonds and walnuts at a good price. I keep them in the fridge/freezer.
  • kgates121
    Options
    The three ingredient and five ingredient list is great for people to switch from processed foods to a healthier natural diet. Agree, veggies and fruits would not have a list, and may come from your own garden. Shopping for fresh produce eliminates the need to review ingredients, but out of season when buying frozen, this is a good rule of thumb. Also shopping for organic when the skin is consumed. I found Jamie Oliver's recipe books to be very helpful in natural ingredient recipes as well as reading Michael Pollan's in Defense of Food and Food Rules. If you are not a recipe reader, going with the most natural state of food and creating a simple plate of a protein, green and carb within portions is also helpful.
  • kgates121
    Options
    VMGals, what is your favorite green juice recipe?
  • oJulia
    oJulia Posts: 33
    Options
    Bulk foods are awesome - Winco is the cheapest I've found. Raw nuts, whole wheat flour, beans, rice, grains - awesome. Plus, fresh ground almond or peanut butter!

I love Winco.