what am i doing wrong?

tawnir
tawnir Posts: 4
edited September 20 in Introduce Yourself
so i have been doing the web site and curves workout program for the last 3 months. i had a baby boy 4 months ago...now i know i cant really diet cause iam breastfeeding so im just doing portion control.i have been sticking to the calories that the website set for me some days im still hungry so i add a extra 300 for breastfeeding like im originally suppose to.but heres the problem NO RESULTS! i have actually gained 10 pounds. which they keep telling me is muscle. so for 3 mnths now watching my portions working my booty off 3 to 4 days a week.and no results. honestly getting quite depressed about it. i gained 50 lbs during my pregnancy.2 yrs ago when i met my husband i weighed 126 lbs. now im a whopping 193.6lbs!!!!!!! what am i doing wrong? any suggestions?

Replies

• thizzle
    thizzle Posts: 3 Member
    Before you get too worried, have your measurements changed dramatically. If the scale goes way up, but your waist size doesn't, then some of your weight gain may indeed be muscular. At any rate, congrats on the baby, good luck and keep at it!
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Don't be discouraged You just had a baby 4 months ago it will take a little bit of time you are probably losing inches. Measure yourself. You need extra 500 calories for breast feeding but try to feel up with nuts and fruit adn protein. Lots of water.
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    I can relate to you! I really can.

I had my second child on November 29/08. I went from 145 (I usually like to be at 125 and was dieting at the time, trying to reach that goal) to 199 during pregnancy! 15 pounds of that was actuall pregnancy weight- the rest was fat-fat-fat. I've only lost 20 pounds of that fat in the year since. I'm still 40 pounds roughly from my target weight.

I've had a BIG problem figuring out what to eat, and how much to eat, because of breastfeeding. I'm still nursing- though it's usually only 3-4 times a day now. I was always told you burned up to 500 calories a day breastfeeding, but added an extra 300 calories to be safe. Still, nothing. Which is frustrating because so many people talk about what a mini-workout breastfeeding is!

It wasn't until I started talking to other mothers who had breastfed that I started to learn that the problem you (and I) are having is very common. It seems that, when your body is producing milk, it will often 'hold onto' the fat, because it needs it to produce milk. I found that I was able to lose more weight, the less I breastfed. It's easier now (still not easy- but easier) for me to lose weight because I'm not nursing as frequently. It's frustrating- but something that many, many of my friends were able to confirm. Many of them (and me too, actually) nursed one child and bottlefed another- and found that we lost weight MUCH faster with the bottle-fed baby than we did when we were nursing.

I don't know why that is, but it does seem to be the case....

Who knows... maybe it's partially due to the fact that nursing mothers are almost always STARVING. I've never been so hungry in my life! Maybe we wind up taking in more calories than we should, I don't know. All I know is that I've been trying for a year now, and the weight is coming down at a snail's pace.
  • Well I had a friend who got very thin while breastfeeding (like they say!) but it didn't happen until after about 7 months of it. On the other hand, my sister-in-law has 4 kids and says she never lost weight from any of them until she was done breastfeeding. She even had a personal trainer after the last one and told him so -- he scoffed at her but she was right in the end, and lost the weight after she was done nursing.
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Remember this very important fact. It took your body 9 months to gain that weight, go through hormone changes, and totally change the whole dynamics of your bone structure, let alone fat stores. It will take at least that long, sometimes double the time to get it back. Be kind and patient with yourself. You are doing great!
This discussion has been closed.