Giving Up

Options
I am ready to give up. I have been on numerous diets most of my life. This time I decided to do a life change. I started yoga a year ago and was beginning to feel better about myself. However, the weight was there still. So I started on the 1200 calorie diet give me by the nutritionist. Yesterday it went totally to pot. That was something I knew would happen occasionally but knew that this time I wouldn't let it defeat me. Then I got a chance to see the pictures from my nephew's wedding that I officiated at. Now I don't know whether to shoot myself or seriously consider surgery. Does anyone else ever get this low. I haven't given up on following the diet but I am beginning to believe that I will never win the battle. HELP!!!!

Replies

• iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Can't give up. To me that's like resigning myself to a slow painful death and a terrible quality of life. Can't do it.

We're a helpful bunch here, and we've all had some frustration with this whole weight loss thing. But in order offer suggestions we need to know a little bit about your situation, like how much you have to lose, and what have you been doing that doesn't seem to be working.
  • EllienLyla
    Options
    I think we've all been there. loosing weight is a very emotional process. I have felt like giving up and I have given up a lot of times. you are defiantly not alone. My mom always told me a story about a mule that was being buried alive (which is how we all feel sometimes) instead of letting the dirt bury him he would shake off the dirt and step up. days later he took his last step out of the hole. so no matter how deep our hole is we have to shake off all the negativity and decide to step up. its a slow painful process but eventually you will step out of your hole. don't give up:smile: shake it off!
  • 34at35
    34at35 Posts: 318
    Options
    I had some lows when I got stuck on some plateaus. It seemed that I would gain even though I was eating next to nothing and working out twice as hard. But give up - never gave it a second thought! And you shouldn't either. My doctor explained it to me this way. Your body wants to hold on to the weight. It thinks its going to starve when it doesn't get the calories its used to. You have to trick it with exercise changes, calorie input changes, and generally keep it guessing. Don't let it go into starvation mode. Make sure you get at least 1200 calories/day NET. You have to exercise and then you can eat more than that. Good Luck but don't give up. Let your metabolism know who's boss and get it to help you drop weight.
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    I am ready to give up. I have been on numerous diets most of my life. This time I decided to do a life change. I started yoga a year ago and was beginning to feel better about myself. However, the weight was there still. So I started on the 1200 calorie diet give me by the nutritionist. Yesterday it went totally to pot. That was something I knew would happen occasionally but knew that this time I wouldn't let it defeat me. Then I got a chance to see the pictures from my nephew's wedding that I officiated at. Now I don't know whether to shoot myself or seriously consider surgery. Does anyone else ever get this low. I haven't given up on following the diet but I am beginning to believe that I will never win the battle. HELP!!!!

From your profile, it looks like you want to lose over a hundred pounds. If that's the case, then no way should you be only eating 1200 cals a day! :noway: My sister needs to lose over a hundred also, and she's had LOTS more calories. She's already lost almost 50 pounds. MFP REALLY, REALLY DOES work, just give it a chance and go by the numbers MFP gives you, and not those piddly 1200 calories! Your body's no doubt in starvation mode because of such a low number for you!
    I always recommend logging everything BEFORE you eat it, rather than later. I sometimes log 3 and 4 days in advance. That way I know if I need to exercise more to "work" for what I want to eat.
    Just don't give up, ok?! :smile:
  • TuscanySun
    TuscanySun Posts: 3,608 Member
    Options
    Dont give up. The only failure is in staying down when you fall. Dont let pics of you destroy the progress you have made. So...yes, you saw pics and dont like what you see...I did the same thing. But, turn it into a motivator instead of allowing negative self-talk to undermine your determination to be a healthier you. Look at the pics, acknowledge that you need to change and keep going, keep fighting, keep trying.

You can absolutely do this. We all get low, its a very hard battle we're fighting, but this isnt about thin or not thin...this is about health and contentment and enjoyment of life.

DONT GIVE UP!!!!!
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    DON'T GIVE UP DO YOURSELF A FAVOR YOU WILL HATE IT IN THE LONG ONE. I have gone through that but just realize you want this in the end. Conquer it. Are you working out with it to besides yoga.
  • agarlits
    agarlits Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Tdbear,

Its all in the attitude you have about the weightloss. If you tell yourself that its too hard or that its not going to work for you then it wont. You have to have faith in yourself and know that you can do this or the most foolproof weightloss system wont work. If those pictures from the weeding strike you that way then I would say print them out and tape them up all around you as a constant reminder to yourself of why you want to do this. I have a fat picture I look at when I lose motivation and its helped me alot. Just remember that your only going to get to exactly where your going.
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options

From your profile, it looks like you want to lose over a hundred pounds. If that's the case, then no way should you be only eating 1200 cals a day! :noway: My sister needs to lose over a hundred also, and she's had LOTS more calories. She's already lost almost 50 pounds. MFP REALLY, REALLY DOES work, just give it a chance and go by the numbers MFP gives you, and not those piddly 1200 calories! Your body's no doubt in starvation mode because of such a low number for you!
    I always recommend logging everything BEFORE you eat it, rather than later. I sometimes log 3 and 4 days in advance. That way I know if I need to exercise more to "work" for what I want to eat.

Seriously. 1200 calories is WAY LOW for someone needing to lose over 100 pounds. That's probably what's making this feel so restrictive too!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Look at it this way...you'll definitely never win the battle if you give up.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options

Seriously. 1200 calories is WAY LOW for someone needing to lose over 100 pounds. That's probably what's making this feel so restrictive too!

Agree, 110%!
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    How many calories does MFP recommend for you? I would go with that. My ticker says that I plan to lose a total of 103 lbs., but actually I intend and need to lose more than that. I just got too depressed when thinking about anything over 100 lbs., so decided to start with that. Anyway, I think if I tried to stay on 1200 calories, I would also be depressed. I started at 1700, and now am on about 1400. I just stay on what MFP recommends, and it seems to work for me. So, what I am saying is, hang in there! You are a good person, and you can do this!
  • denton
    denton Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I posted earlier this week when I was feeling really discouraged. Everyone was so helpful and their advice may help you too. The first thing that I have noticed making a difference is finding the appropriate amount of water intake for my body. Apparently, I need at least 3qts of water a day! I lost 7lbs in a few days just from this bit of advice and it seems to be staying off. The other thing they suggested was to run (or equivalent) for 30minutes as, apparently, you don't start to burn off fat until after 20minutes. Again, after just a few days I can tell a difference in the way I feel even though I it's too soon to tell about actual weight loss.

Good luck! And remember, we are all in this together :)
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I give up everyday, but then I look at my girls, instead of my waistline, and I get on that treadmill.
    Yoga is great, but if you have 100 pounds to lose, you will not lose it that way. Cardio is the way to go to help you lose the fat. As you get closer to your target, add strength and yoga (flexibility will give you long lean muscles).
    I still secretly hate everyone here :flowerforyou: because the program seems to be working for them... but don't give up on yourself. You are not a loser.:glasses:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Tdbear-

DON"T jump OFF the wagon now!!! I agree with the posters who talked about how many calories per day you are eating. And I knew I recognized your login from the 50+ Women's thread. Even if you aren't posting there, I hope you are reading it. We are all in the same boat. (e-r-r, I mean WAGON:wink:)

I felt the same way you did before I started here in April. It seemed nothing worked.:brokenheart: :grumble: I think you have to fine tune your lifestyle change to fit YOU!! Once you hit on the right combination, you will LOSE...and you are WORTH all the time it takes to get there.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and everyone else.!!:flowerforyou:
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Tdbear - Don't give up!! Remind yourself WHY you want to lose weight and how much healthier you will be if you do! Sometimes we get so caught up in the short-term is it/isn't it working, that we lose sight of the main goal. Yes, it will be a long, tough road, but yes, you can do it!! Lots of people here to cheer you on.

Regarding your diet - I believe that MFP very well may have given you a 1200 cal day diet. I had almost 100 lbs to lose, and I set my activity level on sedentary and 2 pounds weight loss a week for me equated to.... a 1200 /day calorie diet. However, I realized after buying a GoWearFit (like a bodybugg) that I'm burning more calories per day (without exercise) than the sedentary setting gives me, so I'm currently playing around with my calorie intake to better match my actual calories used. I would recommend you play with yours as well, even if you don't have/can't get a device like I've got - try a couple weeks at 1300 or 1400 calories, try to get some good cardio in there a couple times a week (fast walking is good if you don't have a gym membership) and see if you can get your body to "click" into weight-loss mode. 1200 cal/day may work for you, but you may also be better off at a little bit higher of a calorie intake.

Good Luck!! And don't give up! We're rooting for you. :flowerforyou:
  • CinthyNair
    Options

No, No, No ... no retreat, no surrender. Just remember that YOU ARE WORTH IT. Nobody said this would be an easy task. It's a learning process, so just go with the flow. Play with the calorie intake, do different types of workout - they say it is recommended to try a new workout every 3 weeks (so that the body doesn't get used to it, and begin to plateau).
  • epoeraven
    epoeraven Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    How many calories does MFP recommend for you? I would go with that. My ticker says that I plan to lose a total of 103 lbs., but actually I intend and need to lose more than that. I just got too depressed when thinking about anything over 100 lbs., so decided to start with that. Anyway, I think if I tried to stay on 1200 calories, I would also be depressed. I started at 1700, and now am on about 1400. I just stay on what MFP recommends, and it seems to work for me. So, what I am saying is, hang in there! You are a good person, and you can do this!

AGREE!!!! My goal is 100 pounds and I get 1500 calories per day - only 1200 would make me crabby!!!! Another thing......I am set at "lose one pound per month" but I often lose more. What did you set for your goal on how much to lose per week?
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    Options

I have hit the lowest of lows in my life. I have a saying tdbear. "you have never truely lost everything in life until you lose hope!" I have lost hope at times in my life. And in those times I was at the very bottom. But it is never as bad as it seems. We can decide what direction we are going to go in. Are we going to allow ourselves to take steps backwards?? or are we going to continue to move forward. Every day is a day to take positive steps forward. Its about taking one small step at a time each day... Over coming each small obstacle in our path. These feelings you are having are one of many obstacles you must face and over come in order to achieve your goal. It is how we deal with these feelings and obstacles that will determine our success. Just know that the only way you cannot achieve your goal is by giving up on yourself. That quitting is the only thing that can truely stop you. Keep on fighting the good fight and best of luck.
  • tdbear
    tdbear Posts: 13
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice. I have just returned from a week long vacation. I managed to relatively stay on my 1200 cal "life style". This is the diet I was placed on. I am definitely cranky expecially since my husband has to have a very high calorie diet to just barely exist. It is so disheartening to watch him eat and eat and eat, never gaining a pound, while I live on lettuce. I haven't totally given up but it is not going away and I always seem hungry. Wish me luck when I see the Doc next week. Maybe they will have another suggestion. :cry:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I hope you will talk to your doctor about starvation mode, and increasing your calories. It really DOES make a difference in how your body and metabolism works and in how you FEEL.