Coming back (during the holidays-of all times!)

bleachcse
bleachcse Posts: 148 Member
edited September 20 in Introduce Yourself
I've been on MFP on and off over the last few years. This time, it's been awhile and I've ballooned to the heaviest I've ever been. I haven't gotten the courage up to weigh myself yet, but I know it's close to 300 lbs. How in the world did this happen????

My 4 year old has been very concerned about me dying lately. This has given me some new motivation to get myself healthier. Although I'm only 25 years old, I am also very, very overweight and I know that is likely to cause me a much earlier death. I've got to do this for my child this time. So tomorrow, I'm going to eat my Thanksgiving meal and Friday morning I am coming back to MFP. And everytime I want to cheat, I will replay my son's words, "Mommy when you die I will be all alone." I cry everytime I think about it. This time it's for him!

Replies

• Aw!!!! :cry: Amazing how kids can say things just the right way to sink into our hearts! That's great that you're starting during the holidays because there will ALWAYS be some reason to scrap it and eat whatever you want without logging - friends will visit, you'll go out to eat, you'll have a birthday, you'll be at a potluck, the scale will be hard on you, you'll have a bad day, someone will bring you cookies... the list goes on and on. We have to learn to make healthy choices in the real world and you're in just the right place to do it! Welcome back! :flowerforyou:
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    I've been on MFP on and off over the last few years. This time, it's been awhile and I've ballooned to the heaviest I've ever been. I haven't gotten the courage up to weigh myself yet, but I know it's close to 300 lbs. How in the world did this happen????

My 4 year old has been very concerned about me dying lately. This has given me some new motivation to get myself healthier. Although I'm only 25 years old, I am also very, very overweight and I know that is likely to cause me a much earlier death. I've got to do this for my child this time. So tomorrow, I'm going to eat my Thanksgiving meal and Friday morning I am coming back to MFP. And everytime I want to cheat, I will replay my son's words, "Mommy when you die I will be all alone." I cry everytime I think about it. This time it's for him!

Welcome back! :flowerforyou: Sounds like you've got one hell of a reason to stick with MFP this time! It REALLY, REALLY, DOES work, so definitely, stick around. You won't regret it! :wink:
    Between the easy to use food counter (which by the way is SUCH an eye opener!) and all the wonderfully supportive members, you WILL be able to lose the weight that you want to, AND, it'll "almost" be easy doing it! :wink:
    I recommend logging ALL your foods BEFORE you have them, rather than later, as it tends to lead to better food choices. (not to mention you'll know if you've got enough numbers left to have a night time snack, like I ALWAYS try to do!) Some people also like to weigh and measure some things, such as meats, rather than just estimating and possibly being WAY off! :noway:
    Don't go making the mistake that if you have LOTS of numbers left at the end of the day that you'll lose even faster, because that DOESN'T happen. :noway:
    Before coming here, I had tried just about EVERYTHING out there, including hypnosis, TWICE, and nothing really worked until MFP! :love:
    Also, drink LOTS of water, it REALLY DOES help! :drinker:
    As far as exercise goes, it doesn't always have to be awful. For my exercise, I walk almost every day, (weather permitting!) I also dance to a fast oldies CD that my husband made up of all my favorite old songs. (Like "Love Shack", Wild, Wild West", "Mony, Mony", "Footloose", and "Gloria")
    It's free, (unlike a gym!) fun, and I can even watch tv at the same time, so I never get bored! :happy:
    I also have Wii Fit, and jog to that, which is a lot of fun, and easy too! :smile:
    So, to make a LONG story short, make good food choices, eat in moderation, get some exercise, and you WILL lose the weight that you want to! :smile:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    BrenNew has condensed the nitty gritty for success into her welcome message. It can be said longer, or differently, but not better and the ultimate message is "DON'T GIVE UP ON YOURSELF!!!

I looked at your profile and see that last Christmas you got a bodybugg, which I don't claim to know a lot about, but as I understand it, it is meant to help you track the calories you burn throughout the day. Sounds like a great tool to keep you on track.

Set small goals for yourself. By your own description, this is a lifelong issue, so it won't be solved in a week, or a month or even in a year. When I started using MFP, I weighed the most I ever had, and I was soooo sick of looking like hell, feeling lousy, and figuring nothing would ever change. I did some reading and found that people who log their calories and exercise tend to be more successful at weight loss, and people who try a moderate approach, based upon calorie counting, and keeping fat and sodium under control, but not constant self deprivation are more likely to KEEP the weight OFF, because this is not a quick fix. It has to be a permanent lifestyle change. Also, people who have a support system, whether it is a "meeting" or an online community, are more likely to succeed in this endeavor.

After about a month on MFP, I didn't feel "right" if I didn't post my activities and food, and skip a day of walking? It has only happened twice since April, both times due to travel or activities involving others where I couldn't control my schedule. If I had to stop keeping track of my calories and stop walking, I would not know what to do with myself. In the past, I lost FASTER with a more extreme program (Atkins) but because it didn't fit the way I like to eat, I gained it back with "interest":grumble: :sad:

For some, Atkins works fine, or some other program, but for me, having nothing off limits has been very freeing. I no longer have strong cravings for things that I shouldn't have much of. If I really do want something, I plan for it. I have changed what I eat, and am much more aware of sodium, so my use of processed foods is limited.

I doubt that I will make my goal of 100 pounds in a year, but even if it is 80 pounds, that is 80 pounds that i have kicked to the curb FOREVER, because I feel like I can eat this way for the rest of my life.

That is my story. Now you have to write YOUR success story, and keep in touch on the threads with all the MFP members who have common interests or issues, and benefit from their support, encouragement and knowledge.

Remember YOU CAN DO THIS!!! After all, you want to dance at that kiddo's wedding some day, right??:heart:
  • bleachcse
    bleachcse Posts: 148 Member
    Thanks everyone! Looking forward to hopefully having a success story one of these days :)
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    You are already a success story. You are smart enough to be working on your program and using the valuable resources of MFP to assure your success. And you didn't just throw in the towel and say, "Oh it's the holidays. I'll just wait til NEXT year!!! "Good Luck!!!!:flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.