I blew it!

Options

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If you were on vacation, driving to your destination, and you hit a closed road, what would you do? You'd take the detour, maybe check a map or GPS to recalculate your route, and continue on your way.

No different here. You hit a road block and you'll take a detour. Check your plan and see if there's anything you need to tweak to avoid it happening again. (Maybe include a little more calories or a few more indulgences so you don't feel the need to fall off the wagon.)

You'll still get to your destination, as long as you don't say, "Screw this. I'm turning around and going home."
  • scorpiotwinkles
    scorpiotwinkles Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Climb back onto the wagon and DRIVE it! In the big scheme of things it's only 2 days.
  • brainfreeze72
    brainfreeze72 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    The only thing you blew was your calorie count for a couple days. Don't beat yourself up over it. I just spent 2 days driving with my family and went over but I'm making up for it by getting in a little extra exercise this entire week, and with having access to food humans SHOULD be eating, I'll do much better for the rest of the week (until next Saturday when we hit the road to head home). I don't expect to lose weight this week but if I get back on the scale when I get home and I haven't gained more than a pound I'll be happy. If you're up for it, take a nice long walk today or do some gardening outside or go for a swim, do something to get moving and burn off a little of the extra.
  • KAR1959
    KAR1959 Posts: 4,267 Member
    Options
    You have not blown anything. This is a lifestyle change and you're not expected to be perfect. I celebrated my friends 50th birthday Friday and we had a wonderful brunch, shopped the afternoon away, then had Margaritas and appetizers at one of our favorite Mexican Restaurants. And you know what Saturday morning at 8 a.m. she called me and we went on a hour walk.

Get back to whatever you were doing prior to "blowing it" and continue to pursue your goals. You can do it...and so can I. Good luck!!!
  • kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    tough love...get it undercontrol, two days can turn into weeks. You are the only one who can help yourself. You are what you eat! ou can do it.
  • sprindiville
    Options
    I did that this past week! In the past, I would have beat myself up over it and decided to forgo the whole thing, but reading all the forums and books out there told me that it's okay to have a not-so-great couple of days (or week). It takes a whole lot of determination to get back ON the track afterwards, so points for you!!!!
  • Buduke
    Buduke Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    forget about it, it may actually help you in the long run as long as you get back on the wagon again. It could help you by letting your body know that it isnt in a starvation situation because there are plenty of calories available when needed and it can get rid of fat as long as you get back to doing what is necessary to lose the weight. Forgive yourself, get back to it and keep on losing weight.
  • minivandad
    Options
    Start eating in front of a mirror. Or just imagine doing it. That has put me back on track quite a few times.
    :happy:
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I have been gearing up emotionally for the "red months" - my birthday trip in October, thanksgiving in November and then Christmas in December. I am looking at like my good habits I have and am developing an attitude that my health is like a savings account.. the more days I stick to my new life style, the quicker I will rebound from a "celebration day or meal"… Like spending savings, I will go back to work and earn more savings after dipping into my emergency fund.

So you spent two days of celebrations - get back out and earn more good health!
  • Karebear_68
    Options
    Take it from someone who does it more than I would like to say - just start fresh and try try again!! It is a very hard struggle but at least you are trying to get fit. Try to identify what triggers it and just work on it. I need to take my own advice and I know there are lots of us in the same boat. You just blew a few days, not your goals. Best of luck!!! :flowerforyou:
  • irisheyes7177
    irisheyes7177 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I think I will post this for everyone - I love this poem. We are all human and we all do this.

There’s A Hole In My Sidewalk

Chapter One

I walk down the street.
    There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
    I fall in.
    I am lost… I am helpless.
    It isn’t my fault.
    It takes forever to find a way out.

Chapter Two

I walk down the same street.
    I pretend I don’t see it.
    I fall in again.
    I can’t believe I am in the same place.
    But it isn’t my fault.
    It still takes a long time to get out.

Chapter Three

I see it is there.
    I still fall in… it’s a habit.
    My eyes are open.
    I know where I am.
    It is my fault… I get out immediately.

Chapter Four

I walk around it.

Chapter Five

I walk down another street.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Today is a new day; put yesterday behind you and focus on making smart choices today. You CAN do this!!

Don't repeat yesterday's mistakes

Learn from yesterday's mistakes.

Think about what caused you to eat without thinking; what was your emotional state, why did you decide to eat that way, why did you make those choices? If you can identify the "why" ...you can work to make sure you do not "repeat"

Good Luck!!! And you'll be fine!
  • 60x60
    60x60 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    This prompted me to ask for advise before i do this. Going to visit my granddaughters soon. We tend to eat out a lot. I have a bad knee and use a stationary bike for exercise... Concerned about temtations eating out and not being able to exercise... Words of wisdom for me?

I have experienced your "granddaughter visit" issues.

Re the exercise. Keep moving somehow, even if it's pretend bicyling lying on the floor or the bed. Maybe bring a list of floor exercises you can do. If these are older granddaughters, maybe they will do them with you. If it's nice out and you are in an area where you can rent or borrow a bike, maybe you can take a bike ride before going out to dinner.

Re food. Enjoy. Practice portion control. Maybe split an entree or ask for a takeaway box at the beginning of the meal and put a significant portion of the entree in the box. With each meal out, practice what I call the rule of one extra. The one extra can be the side bread or a sugar/alcohol drink or an appetizer or dessert or a more fattening entree. One but not all of those choices. I'd watch the breakfasts carefully, maybe choose a standard type of breakfast that you will order every time, such as oatmeal and a fruit cup. Limit fast foods.
  • kathgym
    kathgym Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have done exactly the same thing, except I've been bad for about 5 days:drinker: . Yikes. But, I needed it and don't feel particularly guilty. This morning I went to the gym and now back to healthy eating and feel a bit more inspired. Remember - it's a marathon, not a sprint.
  • JMJ1983
    JMJ1983 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Yes, I did that for a year and a half and gained back 100lbs. I wish I had only let it last for two days. But today is a new day. One day at a time.

What he said...Best time to make the uturn back in the right direction is right now. It can be a very slippery slope to let each day go in the wrong direction.

Find some time to exercise today and when it comes to eating refocus. In the bigger picture it will just be a little blip on the radar.
  • SorchaRavenlock
    SorchaRavenlock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Drink plenty of water to get rid of the water weight you've possibly gained, go for a nice long walk, and start logging again.
    A few days won't set you back that far, you can do it!
  • Michellereducf
    Michellereducf Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Get over it. Move on. Every day is a new day.
  • airlily
    airlily Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    If you don't let go once in a while, you go nuts. Just get back on track and plan a weekly "cheat" meal (I usually make mine Saturday evening dinner and dessert) you can look forward to so you don't slip again. :)
  • cruzcrzyMarie
    cruzcrzyMarie Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    It happens. The KEY is to get right back on program. The longer you wait the harder it will be to get the gain off. ONWARD AND DOWNWARD.
  • itsjilly
    itsjilly Posts: 40
    Options
    My suggestion is track what you ate that "blew" it. How many extra calories did you consume, and how many pounds is that?

3500 calories is one pound! If you continue on eating that way, how many pounds will you add?

Its soooo easier to put them on then take them off.

Your all good, every one slips!