Diet Soda

Options
Hi There!!

Has anyone noticed a difference by cutting diet soda? I have heard that it can make a difference in weight loss, but, I "hear" alot of things:-) Just wondering if anyone has some proof that it will speed weight loss.

I Love my Diet pepsi and consider it a treat as I am working so hard to get healthy! But, I may be willing to give it up if it will help my weight loss.

Thanks!!

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    It has zero calories. If you cut it out, you are eliminating zero calories. If you cut zero calories from your diet, it will not have any effect on your weight loss.

Like you said, you "hear" a lot of things. Just take the time to give it logical thought, and the answer is obvious.
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I've "heard" that diet soda makes you hungrier and more prone to craving sweet things. So if by cutting the 0 kcal diet soda you will also cut a portion of your regular food intake due to decreased cravings it would be beneficial. I don't drink soda myself so I can't offer any experienced advice. Personally I would cut it based on chemicals whether or not it helped my weightloss but everyone is entitled to their treat!
  • camiah
    camiah Posts: 146
    Options
    I've never heard of evidence showing CAUSAL link between diet soda intake and weight (correlation, yes). There may be some fMRI studies that look into the effect of the sweetness of diet sodas on the brain (how they make various parts light up relative to the way sugar makes your brain light up), but to my knowledge, they have not established a causal relationship. It seems to me that the whole zero calorie thing makes diet soda a neutral actor on weight loss, but if the sweetness from it makes you want more sweet things, then it might not hurt to cut it out. But that is different from diet soda itself causing weight gain.
  • WilliamD80
    WilliamD80 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I was addicted to diet soda. I'm talking about 3-4 liters of coke zero a day. I have been soda free now for about a month and a half. I didn't really notice anything different. If anything reducing my soda caused me to want something else to fill the void. I also think the massive reduction in caffeine caused some adverse side effects for a few weeks.
  • K_Smith86
    K_Smith86 Posts: 123
    Options
    I used to drink soda - a lot. Both diet and regular. I ended up getting massive caffeine withdrawal headaches from it, but after that phase passed, I really didn't notice a difference. Once in awhile I'll have a bad craving for one, and will give in, but I limit myself to just one, and then will go a few weeks without one, sometimes longer. Yes it might be zero calories, but you also should look at what else is in the diet soda you drink. I guess it is all just a personal preference. It won't kill you to drink it, but it won't do any harm in cutting it out either. If you find yourself needing to fill that void, I find that having a bottle of water with a Crystal Light flavor packet mixed in usually does the drink. Most of them are only 5 calories, and it helps with that craving you might get for a soda, or sometimes something sweet. Good luck!
  • Go1096
    Go1096 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    This is the only bad thing I have read about Pepsi...not diet in particular but Pepsi products in general. Not sure if this is the current ingredient.

http://www.naturalnews.com/034777_Pepsi_aborted_fetus_cells_soda_flavoring.html

I don't like diet sodas at all. But if I am going out to eat and I don't feel like drinking water, it will be my go to.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    That has nothing to do with actual ingredients. That has to do with a testing process for flavorings, not the flavorings themselves.
  • abbylg1983
    abbylg1983 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    By itself, no, there will be no difference. Some people have offered the suggestion that it increases appetite or cravings for sweet things, and I've heard also that your body treats the sweetener like sugar and raises insulin in response. The former was not true for me, no ideas about the latter. I did go without diet soda during the summer of 2010 to see if there was honestly a difference.

I lost no weight and felt no different. Some people swear up and down though it was the best move they ever made. From a health standpoint, it may still be a good idea to cut back if you are drinking a lot. I usually have one can a day.