What's good for beginners?

Options
I need to lose 150+ and I'm just starting out, what's good besides walking? Dr says no running yet love to walk but just doesn't seem to be going anywhere fast.

Replies

• laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Swimming or water aerobics would be excellent if you have access to a pool.
    Beginner yoga is probably good, too. I have an iPhone app called All In Yoga (I think) and it allows me to set up short programs of a few specific moves.

Also, with regard to walking, if you have an outdoor destination you can walk to, it might help to feel like you are actually getting somewhere. I walk to the grocery store and home again, or to the smoothie place, etc.
  • freakyfreckles
    Options
    Hi there and welcome! My goal is not far off from yours.

You may not see any results right out of the gate, but you will! Hang tight and keep building your walk time. Still in the walking family, but I really like Leslie Sansone's DVD's.

If you're looking for in home work outs, check out you tube--there are alot of videos with ideas for beginners!

Best wishes to you on your journey!!
  • rl1421
    rl1421 Posts: 9
    Options
    Swimming and water aerobics are great full body exercises that don't put a lot of stress on your joints. You could also try the elliptical which will let you go faster than walking, but not put too much strain on your knees. Strength training to build up muscle is also a good idea.
  • Absref71
    Absref71 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Swimming or water aerobics would be excellent if you have access to a pool.
    Beginner yoga is probably good, too. I have an iPhone app called All In Yoga (I think) and it allows me to set up short programs of a few specific moves.

Water is the way to go, easy on the joints for beginners
  • debs6
    debs6 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Walking has been the mainstay of my weight loss - all I really did for the first 5months or more and I lost a heap of weight doing it. Do it often and as fast as you can and it will make a difference- guaranteed!
  • csmoore039
    csmoore039 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I also use the Leslie Sanson Videos!! They are fantastic!!!
  • mhoward685
    mhoward685 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I started about 90 days ago and could hardly do 2 minutes on the elliptical at the gym. Now I am doing 30 minutes of elliptical at level 11 and 30 minutes of strength training each day. I still can't do any of the preset programs on the elliptical as they are too hard for me. I have artificial hips and can't run and walking hurts. The elliptical doesn't bother my legs I just had to be patient for my ability to extend my time.
    I am also starting to add in some yoga for core and flexibility.
    During the summer going to the lake has allowed me to get a lot of swimming in and really spikes a weight loss but now that winter is coming I won't have that.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I need to lose 150+ and I'm just starting out, what's good besides walking? Dr says no running yet love to walk but just doesn't seem to be going anywhere fast.

walking is fantastic! as is swimming and riding a bike. if it's running you want to do, then build yourself into it by increasing your walking distances etc. Doctors are sometimes meant to be defied. you won't go wrong with walking.
  • relucas81
    Options
    I lost about 275 lbs in total over the course of 2 1/2 years, and did so primarily with just walking. Once I gained the endurance, speed walking. That and keeping your calories in weight loss range (just calories, for large weight loss don't worry about the macronutrients) will lead to large, fairly quick weight loss
  • JSlattery79
    JSlattery79 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    trade the treadmill for some weights and interval training.. strength training is important to weight loss.. if you do only cardio you you're losing important muscle.. that muscle helps you lose weight when you're just sitting around.. muscle burns fat when you're not even doing anything!!!... also, I heard this... 6 pack abs are 30% gym and 70% diet.. so abs are made in the kitchen..
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options

What do you mean by "doesn't seem to be going anywhere fast"? If you mean weight loss, it's 90% diet. If you mean it doesn't feel challenging, add in hills/stairs. Walking is great. It's all I did for my first 6 months when I started.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Dr says no running yet love

When I first read that, I thought, "Your doctor's a bit rude!"
    doesn't seem to be going anywhere fast.

That's walking for you.

Enough with the jokes. I recommend swimming, tai chi and yoga. You could also try upper body exercises such as shadow boxing. Also worthwhile starting to lift weights.
  • sewedo1
    sewedo1 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Every time you walk, you are achieving success;however, you may not be able to see the results on the scale immediately. Enjoy this journey, it will take awhile. When I'm not walking outside with a friend, I enjoy the treadmill or elliptical at the gym. I also have severeal of the Leslie Sansone Walk at Home DVD's......these provide variety and helped motivate me in the beginning.
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Since you like to walk, I would suggest walking-like exercises. Trailing walking, hiking, speed walking, participating in a 5k as a walker. If you believe you will become a runner, participating as a walker in a 5k will expose you to the culture.
  • Jimmytreatingtons
    Jimmytreatingtons Posts: 128 Member
    Options

Walking is great for you. have you got access to the gym running machines?? If so put them on an incline you can burn lots of calories on these machines. My pic is a walking session on one set at it's highest level and walking as fast as I can.

Take it easy and build yourself up. doing challenges Quickest mile, improving on your time stops you getting bored. Elliptical Trainer is also good and a bit easier on the joints too!

Any decent gym will help you set up a circuit.

Enjoy it though don't look at it as a chore!
  • this_is_my_year
    this_is_my_year Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Swimming
    Walking uphill or hiking
    I also hear weightlifting burns more calories than cardio. Use larger weights instead of the little dumbbell weights they market towards women.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    swimming, water aerobics, walking, and weightlifting.
  • bravis113
    bravis113 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I only meant I'm not walking anyway fast, but I just got a good tip to plan a destination then it feels like I'm going somewhere. : )
  • klewlis
    klewlis Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    If you love walking, that's great! You just have to think of ways to keep changing it up (both physically and mentally). Walking to a destination is good, but also adding in some difficulty (do you have hiking options where you live? hills?). You can actually lose a lot of weight through walking and a good diet.

If you decide you want something besides walking, I second the recommendations for swimming and cycling. They are both low-impact and can help you get into shape without beating up your bones and joints.

(Running's awesome too but most people need to work up to that!)

Also, I always tell people to find activities that are FUN. If there is something you've always wanted to try, or something that looks like it would be fun, try it! That could be yoga, zumba, kickboxing, hiking, mountain biking, water sports, mountain sports, climbing... you name it. If it's fun then you'll do it more, which means you'll get more skilled and more fit. :)
  • Nette_54
    Nette_54 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the MFP family

Walking is great and so is swimming, I don't know if you have one near you but I joined Curves the ladies gym and it is excellent for me as I have a lot of health issues and disabilities and I can work their exercise machines because they are hydraulic based so they are not too much of a strain for me. The other great thing which I am now using is the Wii Plus fitness program, mine was bought second hand so wasn't so expensive and it is really really good, I get a terrific workout using it and it also tells me how many calories I have burnt and other information

Good luck with you weight loss and remember we are all here to support you

Nette