Insanity

Options
I just saw the infomercial for Insanity, and I know a bunch of users have done this program. I really want to try it out, but I'm currently 209lbs, should I wait until I'm closer to my goal of 130lbs?

What were your results from this program?

Replies

• StephJB1221
    Options
    Insanity is not for beginners! I'm doing p90x my second round and then will go to insanity!
  • relucas81
    Options
    Agreed with Steph, Insanity is not a good idea for a beginner as you will be at high risk of injury, and will not be able to keep up with the workouts anyhow. Try P90x for a few months first (Its the same principle, just an easier workout)
  • anwilson_83
    Options
    i say go for it. i have p90x and insanity and love both but i like insanitys faster pace and shorter workouts. it will be hard at first. when i first done it i was 170 something and my goal weight is also 130. i am 5'5". i noticed difference in the 2nd week . i lost 5 lbs in the first 2 weeks. if you wanna do it then do it! do the best you can and each day you WILL get better. :)
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Agreed with Steph, Insanity is not a good idea for a beginner as you will be at high risk of injury, and will not be able to keep up with the workouts anyhow. Try P90x for a few months first (Its the same principle, just an easier workout)

Not at all the same principle. P90X is a strength training program with small amounts of cardio thrown in. Insanity is basically cardio with a few body weight exercises.

I did Insanity when I was 215lbs. The best part about it being a DVD is that you can work at your own pace. If you have to stop and take breaks, that's fine. If you can't do as many repititions or have to go slower, that's fine too. The whole point of the program is to improve YOUR fitness, not to achieve the fitness of Shawn T (the instructor).

Do it if you want to - just go slowly at first. It's a great workout, and you can do it at home, which is a huge benefit since some people have trouble getting to the gym or have limited time.

Exercise should take the form of anything YOU find enjoyable or want to do - that's what is going to keep you motivated.
  • telcochik
    telcochik Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Insanity is hard but doable if you always remember to modify and go at your own pace. The people in the videos have been doing Insanity for multiple rounds so you are not expected to keep up with them. I just finished week 6 and I've lost 6.3 lbs so far. I'm eating as cleanly as possible and, although I'm sore, I feel great.

Beachbody offers a 30 day money back guarantee so, if you buy it and don't like it you're able to return the program for a full refund. If you think it looks interesting you should give it a try.

If you need an Insanity buddy please friend me! Good luck!
    Sharon
  • Kristie18
    Kristie18 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I think it would be a great calorie burn. There are several things on the workout that I still have a very hard time with ( a lot of jumps and things that hard on my knees) I am 123 pounds, but I modify the moves and take breaks. YOU could do the same :)
  • annfuller1
    Options
    i am about 190 pounds and i have just done insanity, no its not for beginners. i love to do aerobics and i can jump around my kitchen for an hour but insanity is something else.

all i say is go for it if you listen to your body

i can not do as many jumping jacks and lunges as the people of the dvd however, as long as i get some of them in and i sweat then the pounds will fall off.

xxxxx
  • victoriaannewilliams
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! I will definitely look more into it, and who knows I might buy it for myself for Christmas. Gives me more time to get in shape :)
  • BettyJo51
    Options
    You can do anything you set your mind to do. That being said here are some things to keep in mind.

-How are your joints? Insanity is high impact, so be prepared to modify some of the exercises.
    -Pace: go at your own pace, and realise that fact that you are moving is better than nothing

Initially it may be hard, but don't get discouraged, just stick with it and you will have lots of personal improvements. The goal isn't to necessarily keep up with the video at first. The goal should be to do better than you did the day before and then eventually keep up with the video. Best wishes! You CAN do it!
  • thisisiamj
    thisisiamj Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I just bought insanity as well... i am currently 186. My plan is to do it after two months after I've been hitting the gym regularly 6x a week... more so for injury prevention.
  • mstifb
    mstifb Posts: 230
    Options
    Insanity is not for beginners! I'm doing p90x my second round and then will go to insanity!

My plan is to work up to Insanity too. Right now I got my first Jillian Michaels DVD. Hope to work through a few of those and try Insanity by my birthday in March. Between now and then I'm going to try other stuff and hopefully gain some type of stamina so I can attempt to handle Insanity. That infomercial shows awesome results, and I want to be able to say I EARNED that shirt, when I do eventually do it!!
  • MTBrob
    MTBrob Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! I will definitely look more into it, and who knows I might buy it for myself for Christmas. Gives me more time to get in shape :)

I say buy it now and give your self a new fitter body for Christmas :)

Just modify and keep moving.... Don't worry about keeping up with the peeps on the video.. Do your best and forget the rest :)

PS.. there is another work out out there called Tap out XT... Its pretty good too.. along the same lines as insanity.
  • nangel4u
    nangel4u Posts: 119
    Options
    I started my weight loss journey in January of this year and I wanted to try it but waited until June to get it! I was new to exercising and just started with jillian michaels 30 day shred at first. Went from 208 to 184 and then builded up to getting Insanity in which I lost 14 pounds and lost LOTS of inches doing that program alone!!!! I would really recommend it but only if you are ready for it!
  • lstone03
    lstone03 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I like insanity and I started it when I was a beginner. If you feel you can trust yourself to go at your own pace it is actually fun and easy to modify. My kids do it with me and mimic shaun T. The jumping can be annoying being a little bigger. The extra jiggle used to piss me off but it made me work a little harder.
  • victoriaannewilliams
    Options

My plan is to work up to Insanity too. Right now I got my first Jillian Michaels DVD. Hope to work through a few of those and try Insanity by my birthday in March. Between now and then I'm going to try other stuff and hopefully gain some type of stamina so I can attempt to handle Insanity. That infomercial shows awesome results, and I want to be able to say I EARNED that shirt, when I do eventually do it!!

OMG! I want the shirt too!!
  • victoriaannewilliams
    Options

I say buy it now and give your self a new fitter body for Christmas :)

Just modify and keep moving.... Don't worry about keeping up with the peeps on the video.. Do your best and forget the rest :)

PS.. there is another work out out there called Tap out XT... Its pretty good too.. along the same lines as insanity.

That's a good idea!!! :)