I only netted 619 calories yesterday. Is this bad?

Options
naculp
naculp Posts: 225 Member
I tried eating a lot of food, but I still only came up with 619 net calories. I even ate exercise calories too! Am I going to lose a lot of weight because of this?

Inb4 don't eat exercise cals back

Replies

• 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    I tried eating a lot of food, but I still only came up with 619 net calories. I even ate exercise calories too! Am I going to lose a lot of weight because of this?

Inb4 don't eat exercise cals back

no you didn`t eat exercise calories, your exercise calories are calories earned by exercise, but eating them means eating those you earned over and above the amount that you have set for MFP (usually 1200 or more.)
  • marijasmin
    marijasmin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    If its an isolate day- don't worry but please don't eat less than BMR. You need essential protein to mantain muscle (type 11).

Opinions vary on this but longer term low consistent net calories consumed would not be part of my strategy.

Jasmin
  • BikinimomE
    BikinimomE Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    How on earth do you expect to live on 619 calories? Heck, according to estimates a little old gal like me will burn over 2,000 just "existing". My second question is, Why would you WANT to limit your caloric intake to a number so low that your metabolism will slow and your body will burn your lean mass for sustenance?
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    That happens to me every time I have a big exericse day (hiking, massive gardening, whatever). I eat extra until I'm full but find I eat more the next few days. It should average out over the week.

I think it's unhealthy to eat it all back that day. Sometimes you just can't.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    We can help you lose weight the proper way.

Come inside!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/8017-in-place-of-a-road-map
  • 2Bgoddess
    Options
    If its an isolate day- don't worry but please don't eat less than BMR. You need essential protein to mantain muscle (type 11).

Opinions vary on this but longer term low consistent net calories consumed would not be part of my strategy.

Jasmin

If you don't eat less than your BMR, you won't lose weight....I mean, you can't always do 500-700 calorie burn for exercise every day. That's why MFP builds in a deficit.
  • Carol_L
    Carol_L Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat less than your BMR, you won't lose weight....I mean, you can't always do 500-700 calorie burn for exercise every day. That's why MFP builds in a deficit.

You don't want to eat less than your BMR, that's a great way to put yourself back, since your body will start catabolizing your muscle in order to get sufficient energy to sustain itself. BMR is the minimum number of calories your body needs to perform it's basic functions before taking into account anything beyond getting out of bed. TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) is the number you need to be looking at. TDEE is the number of calories you would need to maintain your weight at your normal level of activity. This takes into account the amount of energy required for you to go about your daily life. You need a number between TDEE and BMR for weight loss. Depending on how much you need to lose, somewhere between 75 - 85% of TDEE is a good number to start with and tweak from there.
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I took a look at your diary since it's public. While you netted only the 600 some calories, you consumed 3600. As you point out, that's a lot of food. Pretty sure you'll be fine. I've had massive exercise burn days like that and find it's nearly impossible to eat back everything.
  • Alohathin
    Alohathin Posts: 360 Member
    Options

Jasmin

This is incorrect. You should be eating more than your BMR and less than your TDEE and you will lose weight. Your BMR does not include your daily activities. It is the amount your body would burn if you were in a coma.
  • satxtrap
    satxtrap Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but when a poster is 1 lb away from their goal weight a post like this has all the trappings of a classic trolling.
  • marijasmin
    marijasmin Posts: 160 Member
    Options

Jasmin

i think you are confusing BMR and TDEE
  • T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Definitely a troll post lol. He's a pound away from his goal and his diary says otherwise from the stated 600net calories. Great job on your weight loss, not great tricking people.
  • 2Bgoddess
    Options

Jasmin

This is incorrect. You should be eating more than your BMR and less than your TDEE and you will lose weight. Your BMR does not include your daily activities. It is the amount your body would burn if you were in a coma.

then explain why MFP says my bmr is as follows:
    Your estimated BMR is: 1,473 calories/day

and then MFP says to lose a pound a week, my calorie intake should be 1200.
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but when a poster is 1 lb away from their goal weight a post like this has all the trappings of a classic trolling.

Yeah, he seems to have done pretty well from himself in the last 6 months :wink:

But for anyone who is actually looking for advice, to lose weight you should eat at a deficit of your TDEE but above your BMR, as a lot of people have already corrected. Check out Dan above, he knows his stuff.
  • Alohathin
    Options

Jasmin

In order to lose a pound a week, you need a calorie deficit of 500 calories per day. If you stayed in bed, did nothing all day, and ate 1200 calories, you would only have a deficit of 273 calories per day. Well, a little more than that, because it would take energy above your BMR just to eat. So, obviously MFP is counting more calories for you than just your BMR (1700 calories, in fact) in order to get to your 500 calorie per day deficit. It's stands to reason, then, that if you ate just a little more than your BMR, say 1500 calories, you would still lose weight, according to MFP, albeit at a slower rate than 1lb/week.

Here is a good link which explains everything pretty well:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

edit to add: Incidently, this link was written by the guy in this thread above named "helloitsdan" and he posted a link to his group, which I'm sure has a ton more information on the issue.
  • Alohathin
    Options

Jasmin

Additionally, since you are pretty close to your goal weight...based on your profile...it is generally not recommended to target a 1 pound per week weightloss, but rather to go for a half pound per week weightloss. That way you are not targeting below your BMR.
  • Alohathin
    Options
    oops
  • T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Options

Jasmin

You obviously don't understand. You need to be eating in deficit of your tdee, not bmr. If mfp is putting you below your bmr you need to adjust it accordingly, obviously it's inaccurate. If you still feel your right google needs to become your new best friend.

http://www.barbellsandbeakers.com/2012/07/04/the-math-behind-weight-loss-caloric-deficit-explained/