help with sugar intake, please!!

Options
so i like to have brown sugar on my oatmeal in the morning and its enough to fill my "sugar" intake for the day. but that usually is just about all the sugar i eat in the day. but when i log in my fruits, my sugar intake makes it look like i ate cookies all day lol. does anyone on here not log in fruits and veggies? since most are low carb/low cal/low fat anyways? thank you!!

Replies

• Carol_L
    Carol_L Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Why on earth would you not log your fruits and vegetables? That would be counterproductive. Your body isn't going to just ignore a calorie because it came from strawberries or asparagus instead of chicken.

Is there some reason you're restricting your sugars? Diabetic? If you're not, then take a look at your macros - Protein, Fats and Carbs. If you have a higher sugar day, but you're still within what you're shooting for on your carbs, don't worry about it. All carbohydrates eventually break down to glucose (which is what your body uses as primary fuel) - how many steps this takes depends on where the carbs are coming from. Table sugar has fewer steps to get to glucose than sugars from fruits for instance (glucose vs fructose=>glucose) so its available to your body more quickly.
  • nikkitodhunter
    Options
    ^^^ LISTEN TO THIS PERSON, SHE SAYS WISE THINGS.
  • ShaneOSX
    ShaneOSX Posts: 198
    Options
    Two of the biggest flaws with MFP are 1) That the protein goal is critically low, and 2) The way it accounts for sugar

The second issue is not entirely MFP's fault. Nutrition labels don't differentiate for naturally occurring sugar, such as in fruit or milk, so when you eat a banana it looks like you've practically gone over already.

Basically, if the sugar is naturally occurring, ignore it. Eat all the fruits and veggies you want that fit into your calorie target. What you need to watch out for is added sugar. For example, Dannon Oikos Greek Yogurt: natural, delicious, fat free, fruit on the bottom, all that good stuff. But it has like 11g of added sugar in the form of cane juice.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Basically, if the sugar is naturally occurring, ignore it.
    I haven't met any artificial sugars yet, so that doesn't really help. Is added sugar from cane juice bad and apple juice added for sweetness good ?

Equally greek yoghurt isn't a natural product, let alone one with fruit in, so the approach doesn't seem to work.

There appears to be no science that says "non milk extrinsic sugars" are detrimental to health or weight loss. In fact " Emphasis on reducing NME sugars intakes may be counterproductive to attempts to reduce proportional fat intake and body weight. " according to http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1046/j.1365-277X.1996.00463.x/abstract

So MFP's sugar limit is just the implementation of a guideline figure that has no sound basis in anything, and the only rational response is to either turn off sugar tracking or set a custom value that accords with your dietary preferences.
  • yarwell
    Options
    Table sugar has fewer steps to get to glucose than sugars from fruits for instance (glucose vs fructose=>glucose)

Table sugar - sucrose - splits happily and quickly into glucose and fructose in an acidic solution like the stomach or in the presence of enzymes.

The sugars in fruits are a mix of fructose, glucose and sucrose (plus others) so if anything the sugars from fruit will be faster to appear as glucose as a fair proportion of them start off as glucose and the sucrose in fruit is the same as table sugar anyway.

It is mildly entertaining watching people trying to rationalise and explain two things they believe as core values - that fruit is a good thing and sugar is a bad thing - when the two are contradictory given that fruit is essentially a pulpy material (used as animal feed) soaked in a solution of sugars with the odd vitamin along for the ride.
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    so i like to have brown sugar on my oatmeal in the morning and its enough to fill my "sugar" intake for the day. but that usually is just about all the sugar i eat in the day. but when i log in my fruits, my sugar intake makes it look like i ate cookies all day lol. does anyone on here not log in fruits and veggies? since most are low carb/low cal/low fat anyways? thank you!!

While it is true having too much sugar is bad for you, fruit sugar is readily available for the body to burn within 15 minutes of eating it (so I've read). So if you are having fruit, do a light exercise after to burn it off. If you are having a fruit and can't exercise, choose a low glycemic value fruit to get your carb kick.

I admit, putting brown sugar (white sugar with molasses added into it) on your cereal isn't a great idea in the first place; but you didn't ask what to put in your cereal instead. All I am going to say is that I have been dieting since April and my body has not had an ounce of grains (aside from corn) since then; grains are not mandatory, they are strictly optional (and they are starchy so they are going to impede your weight loss if you have too much).
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    For example, Dannon Oikos Greek Yogurt: natural, delicious, fat free, fruit on the bottom, all that good stuff. But it has like 11g of added sugar in the form of cane juice.

Which is why ideally you'd want to buy plain greek yogurt and just add your own fruit. Still may have some sugar in it but not as much, in my opinion.

I switch back and forth between Oikos and Chobani but looking at my diary the other day, my 4oz of Chobani has 5g of Sugar and my 2oz of Blackberries has 1g (ignoring the honey because one may or may not choose to add that) which is 6g of sugar as opposed to 11g in the pre-made version. And I'm not even sure how many ozs the pre-made version you are mentioning above is. Those single serving containers seem a lot smaller than 4oz.

Edit: taking a quick browse at the food database it appears that those containers at 5.3 oz ~the same size as my 5 oz of home-made stuff.
  • ShaneOSX
    ShaneOSX Posts: 198
    Options
    Basically, if the sugar is naturally occurring, ignore it.
    I haven't met any artificial sugars yet, so that doesn't really help. Is added sugar from cane juice bad and apple juice added for sweetness good ?

Equally greek yoghurt isn't a natural product, let alone one with fruit in, so the approach doesn't seem to work.

There appears to be no science that says "non milk extrinsic sugars" are detrimental to health or weight loss. In fact " Emphasis on reducing NME sugars intakes may be counterproductive to attempts to reduce proportional fat intake and body weight. " according to http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1046/j.1365-277X.1996.00463.x/abstract

So MFP's sugar limit is just the implementation of a guideline figure that has no sound basis in anything, and the only rational response is to either turn off sugar tracking or set a custom value that accords with your dietary preferences.

Artificial is not the opposite of naturally occurring. Artificial is the opposite of natural. And added sugar from apple juice and cane juice are both bad. We aren't talking about the toxicity of the sugar/sweetener, we're talking about things that are added to a product to make them taste better vs. things that occur in the product in nature.

Bananas are good for you. In theory you could somehow extract all the sugar from that banana in a science lab, but obviously the average person is not going to do that. Thus, we accept the sugar in the banana and eat it.

But a company will sell you banana chips that they've sweetened with something, whether it be cane juice or sucrose or whatever. What that company added is bad, and eating too much of that added stuff IS detrimental to weight loss. And even if it wasn't, it's easy to avoid.

And Greek Yogurt is a natural product.
  • DanaJ1983
    Options
    Have you ever tried using stevia? It is a natural sweetener and although it does taste different it is a pleasant way to sweeten things without blowing your sugar count our of the water. I also used to be an avid oatmeal and brown sugar person. Another alternative I tried was putting a few dried cranberries and sliced almonds in my oatmeal. It also helps the oatmeal to seem sweeter and the almonds help the whole meal break down more slowly(good fat). When you have the right balance of carbs protein and fat you will feel fuller for longer.
  • yarwell
    Options
    But a company will sell you banana chips that they've sweetened with something, whether it be cane juice or sucrose or whatever. What that company added is bad, and eating too much of that added stuff IS detrimental to weight loss.

Why would 3 grams of added sugar in a banana chip or two be detrimental in the context of the sugars (and starch) already present in the banana ? What's different about the added stuff ?
  • Zangpakto
    Zangpakto Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Greek yoghurt natural?

Awesome, so where in the world can I go and harvest or catch me some greek yoghurt?

Cause last I checked, you cannot.... So no, it is NOT naturally occurring....
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Lol at this thread
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I really only pay attention to my calories. Unless I have a day that's REALLY high in sodium, the others don't affect me too much
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options

The question about logging fruits and veggies comes up frequently here, usually from people who have used diet plans in which those were "free foods". However, because MFP is based on calories, you really should be logging everything you eat and drink.

BTW: fruits and veggies are not "low carb". Most are nearly 100% carbs.
  • history_grrrl
    history_grrrl Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I use cinnamon on top of oatmeal, plus some fresh fruit, usually blueberries or strawberries. Delicious -- and sweet.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Greek yoghurt natural?

Awesome, so where in the world can I go and harvest or catch me some greek yoghurt?

Cause last I checked, you cannot.... So no, it is NOT naturally occurring....

I think some of the confusion could be cleared up if the terms "natural" and "naturally occurring" were realized as not being the same thing.

Ingrediant list of Oikos Greek Yogurt: CULTURED PASTEURIZED ORGANIC NONFAT MILK.

CULTURES: S. THERMOPHILUS, L. BULGARICUS, L. ACIDOPHILUS, BIFIDUS, AND L. CASEI.

Milk & bacteria. Both occur in nature.

LOL. Not going to drag this off-topic anymore. Back to sugar!
  • emilydumarce
    emilydumarce Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    lol thanks so much guys!!! lots of good info (;
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    You dont say how much brown sugar you use, but if is sending your sugar count over the top I guess its more than a teaspoon or 2. I put it in my oatmeal as well a little goes a long way
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options

Disregard sugar intake, only worry about overall calories and overall carbs.
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried using stevia? It is a natural sweetener and although it does taste different it is a pleasant way to sweeten things without blowing your sugar count our of the water. I also used to be an avid oatmeal and brown sugar person. Another alternative I tried was putting a few dried cranberries and sliced almonds in my oatmeal. It also helps the oatmeal to seem sweeter and the almonds help the whole meal break down more slowly(good fat). When you have the right balance of carbs protein and fat you will feel fuller for longer.

Stevia, truvia, nutrisweet, asparatame, high fructose corn syrup, sorbitol, and sugar alcohol, and all the other "added sugars" are still sugar carbs! They are just not added in the "sugars" part of the label because the FDA doesn't require starches and chemical compounds that are "complex" to be considered in the "sugar" label. But no matter what you are told, ALL carbs are sugar (fibers are just not digestible) and ALL added sugars give calories and hit your blood sugar.