Pear shapes and losing pant sizes

Options
2»

Replies

• marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    i'm pear shaped... definitely struggle with jeans, but with dresses i can easily wear a size 6 or 8 (as long as they have a higher waist). i have a 14 inch difference in my waist and hips. i kind of like it though. LOL i just know i can't shop in the juniors section EVER and certain stores i easily wear a size 10 and others i wear a size 12. :)
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    LOL I can't get in on the size discussion..I've pissed a whole bunch of people off discussing sizes and it's not worth it. :) ...but I HEAR you!!!! I have 1 size 15 too tight..1 pair just right and then another brand I'm still wearing a 16 in. Holy mother of all things denim.
  • ngcgurl03
    ngcgurl03 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    yes i definitely know how that goes i lost over 40lbs and i can still wear my same clothes they are a little loose but i can still wear them i wear size 14 some 12s but i have for the longest time wore 12-14 so i am hoping to get to a size 9/10 at least i hope i make it.
  • Janet1042
    Janet1042 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I think the key thing to know is... once a pear shape, always a pear shape. I dropped from a size 14/16 down to a 6 or 8 after losing almost 50 lbs, but I'm still a pear shape, just a smaller one. And a much flatter one up top... sigh.

It took me years and years to accept it, but I've finally resigned myself to buying a size larger pants than a non pear shape would typically wear and then take the pants to a tailor for hemming and altering around the waist. This has driven me to have fewer pairs of pants, but I spend a little more money on them to make it worthwhile to hem/alter. I will admit that after losing the weight it's much easier to say - I have hips, so what! :-) It's also still important to only buy pants styles that flatter pear shapes even when those pants size numbers are smaller. Avoid pleats, tapered jeans/pants and anything high waisted. I bet those size numbers will drop, just takes time.
  • fueledbychange
    fueledbychange Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I am a VERY prominent pear shape, and I've only lost about 50lbs in total, but I've dropped like 8 dress sizes. Everyone's body is different, even if they're the same body shape!
  • mstifb
    mstifb Posts: 230
    Options
    I hear these articles and commercials say they can make you drop a dress size in a week guaranteed. While I think that works for some people, that definitely doesn't work for me. I had to lose 30lbs just to drop 1 dress size. I think I have wide hips and I know I have "thunder thighs" ...currently I'm 185lbs and 5'8". Anyone else having issues actually dropping those dress sizes/jean sizes even if they lose a lot of weight?

Yes - and I still have my "buddha belly" - haven't even lost 1/4 inch in my abdomen! :noway: Have big hips and thighs and I really want to lose the gut too. I keep hearing the belly weight is the "last to go" but I want it gone NOW!! :cry:
  • midnightwhispers
    Options
    I hate my hips! I could fit a size smaller in my waist but need the bigger size to fit over my damn hips. Being pear shape sucks
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Yea I have a 12 inch difference between my waist and hips too. It kinda sucks because I don't really want to lose much off my top half but that's exactly what I lose first. ^-^
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I hate my hips! I could fit a size smaller in my waist but need the bigger size to fit over my damn hips. Being pear shape sucks

I could have written that..can't say it any better. The only plus is..I think if a person is going to hold weight isn't the pear shape better??? I mean I know none of it is but I thought I heard once we that hold it in our hips and butts are better off than people who hold it on their waist? Holy crap we should get some kind of benefit out of this deal!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

'eh, find a tailor or wear a belt. There are worse things in life.