Pebble Watch

Options
My 17 year old thinks this upcoming Pebble Watch is going to be the next big thing. He thinks it be better than getting a heart rate monitor alone. It's supposed to have a heart rate monitor as well as music and other capabilities. Has anyone heard of it? Anyone planning on getting one? Check this link to see info about it. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/597507018/pebble-e-paper-watch-for-iphone-and-android

Replies

• WaimanaloMan
    WaimanaloMan Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    It uses the same technology as the Kindle e-reader to display the time, and you can download apps for it. As far as I understand it, it doesn't work as a heart rate monitor on its own, and you have to pair it to your smart phone to track workouts. I think the music part works by controlling the music you already have on your phone via Bluetooth, it doesn't store any on the watch. I think they look great, but I would never replace my heart rate monitor with one because these pebble watches don't seem to have been built for this. They are popular, I hear they sold out their first run before they had even produced them!
  • mstifb
    mstifb Posts: 230
    Options
    It uses the same technology as the Kindle e-reader to display the time, and you can download apps for it. As far as I understand it, it doesn't work as a heart rate monitor on its own, and you have to pair it to your smart phone to track workouts. I think the music part works by controlling the music you already have on your phone via Bluetooth, it doesn't store any on the watch. I think they look great, but I would never replace my heart rate monitor with one because these pebble watches don't seem to have been built for this. They are popular, I hear they sold out their first run before they had even produced them!

Thanks! This info helps a lot! I have been overwhelmed looking for a heart rate monitor so I was HOPING this would be the solution, but it appears to be too good to be true. Again, thanks for the info!
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    If it doesn't have electrodes that actively monitor your heart beat then it won't work as well as any HRM with a strap. It does look pretty though.
  • rknight6810
    rknight6810 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the pebble watch and it is more of a "local display" for connected devices (your phone and what's connected to it). It also works as a remote control for music on my phone.