KALE!

Options
I have been obsessing with Kale lately - I love it in my smoothies mainly. But it is so freaking good for you that I want MORE ways to try it.

Do you guys add Kale to your diet? Please share recipes :)

Replies

• jazee11
    jazee11 Posts: 321
    Options
    I love love love kale!!!!

I current fave recipe is steamed shiritaki (sp?) mushrooms, leeks, and KALE. Any kind of kale. I like stirring in roasted garlic after all veggies are steamed.
  • chrlslove7
    chrlslove7 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I tried kale chips the other day. I thought I would LOVE them but I couldn't stomach them for some reason! I put spinach in my smoothies and am curious as to whether or not kale will taste that much different.

Potato and Kale Zuppa Soup
    Submitted by: HITTIN40 (SparkPeople)

This is similar to Olive Gardens zuppa
    Minutes to Prepare: 20
    Minutes to Cook: 35
    Number of Servings: 6

Ingredients

1/2 c. yellow onion, diced
    1/2 c. celery, chopped
    3-4 cloves chopped garlic
    1 tbsp. olive oil
    localoffersIcon On Sale

32 oz. low-sodium chicken broth
    4 c. yukon gold potatoes, sliced 1/4 in. thick
    1/2-1 tsp. dried basil
    ground red pepper, to taste
    2-3 bay leaves
    1 lb. hot italian turkey sausage, bulk
    1 can fat-free evaporated milk
    3-4 c. fresh chopped kale, removed from stalk

Directions
    In a large stock pot, saute onion, celery and garlic in olive oil, until softened. Add chicken broth. Heat to boil on high. Reduce heat to medium, and add potatoes and seasonings. In another pan, cook turkey sausage. Drain and fat. ( You can rinse this under hot water to further reduce the fat ). When sausage is done, add to broth. Continue to cook until potatoes are done. Add evaporated milk bring back to a low boil for about 3 minutes. Remove bay leaves. Add kale, cover pot for 3-4 minutes unil kale is wilted. This serves 4-6 peolple. Sprinkle a little fresh grated parmesan cheese over each bowl, if desired.

Number of Servings: 6

Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user HITTIN40
  • tragicpixie
    Options
    I usually have Kale at least twice a week. It's one of my favorite foods... but I've never gone the green smoothie route. I usually sauté a bunch of it with a little olive oil and a bunch of garlic, and some salt. Just sauté it until it turns bright green, then serve. I usually use it to top off some brown rice for my favorite dinner ever. Even better if you add a fried egg on top.

I add it to pretty much every stir fry (my favorite is onion, chickpeas, kale, tofu if you use it dreneched in lemon juice at the end of cooking).
    It's only okay in soups... I don't like how it gets after a few re-heats so I usually don't add it until the last minute and add it to the bowl I'm eating.
    I also make a quiche with kale and chard think that recipe can be found online via the Smitten Kitchen website.

Oh! Sometimes I use it raw in salads but to do this most people add an acid (I usually use apple cider vinegar or red wine e depending on what I'm serving with it) and kind of bruise it or slice it to tenderize it. I'll add almonds, berries, onions, citrus slices, etc. As you can see I don't usually have "recipes" per say I just look at what produce looks good then have methods for putting things together - but those are the ways I use Kale.
  • goodbyerachel
    Options
    I tried kale chips the other day. I thought I would LOVE them but I couldn't stomach them for some reason! I put spinach in my smoothies and am curious as to whether or not kale will taste that much different.

In my smoothies I usually add frozen berries or a banana AND another fruit. I think the Kale has a bit more flavor than spinach but with those fruit options I have never noticed it.

I do blend it a little longer because there tends to be more Kale flecks than spinach.
  • goodbyerachel
    Options
    I usually have Kale at least twice a week. It's one of my favorite foods... but I've never gone the green smoothie route. I usually sauté a bunch of it with a little olive oil and a bunch of garlic, and some salt. Just sauté it until it turns bright green, then serve. I usually use it to top off some brown rice for my favorite dinner ever. Even better if you add a fried egg on top.

I add it to pretty much every stir fry (my favorite is onion, chickpeas, kale, tofu if you use it dreneched in lemon juice at the end of cooking).
    It's only okay in soups... I don't like how it gets after a few re-heats so I usually don't add it until the last minute and add it to the bowl I'm eating.
    I also make a quiche with kale and chard think that recipe can be found online via the Smitten Kitchen website.

Oh! Sometimes I use it raw in salads but to do this most people add an acid (I usually use apple cider vinegar or red wine e depending on what I'm serving with it) and kind of bruise it or slice it to tenderize it. I'll add almonds, berries, onions, citrus slices, etc. As you can see I don't usually have "recipes" per say I just look at what produce looks good then have methods for putting things together - but those are the ways I use Kale.

Oh my gosh, that stir fry sounds amazing!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    How do you use kale in smoothies? I always just stir fry, steam, make chips, salad.

Oh and I like to use raw kale leaves instead of tortillas to make wraps.

But how do you put them in smoothies?
  • arielian
    arielian Posts: 200
    Options
    kale pesto chicken salad!

2 tbsp chobani yogurt
    1 tbsp pesto sauce
    little lemon juice
    1 tsp EVOO

mix everything together and combine with 2 heaping cups of raw kale, grilled chicken and the veggies of your choice!
  • goodbyerachel
    Options
    How do you use kale in smoothies? I always just stir fry, steam, make chips, salad.

Oh and I like to use raw kale leaves instead of tortillas to make wraps.

But how do you put them in smoothies?

Ice, handful of kale, some plain greek yogurt and whatever fruits i happen to have around. Turns it a crazy color of green but I have never tasted it. It is so nutritious and I found that I will stay fuller longer when I add spinach or kale :)
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I make this and add shredded kale. The dressing is more than you need for the ingredients.

http://www.theperfectpantry.com/2011/04/recipe-for-broccoli-slaw-salad-with-cranberries-almonds-and-yogurt-dressing.html

Broccoli slaw salad with cranberries, almonds, and yogurt dressing

Serves 4-6.

1/4 cup sliced raw almonds
    1 12-oz package store-bought broccoli slaw
    1/2 cup dried cranberries
    3 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
    3 Tbsp rice vinegar
    3 Tbsp agave nectar (or honey)
    3 Tbsp Greek yogurt
    1-1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
    1/4 tsp kosher salt
    1/4 tsp fresh black pepper

Directions

In a small dry nonstick frying pan, toast the almonds over medium heat, shaking the pan frequently, until just starting to brown. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.

Add the broccoli slaw and cranberries to a large mixing bowl.

Combine remaining ingredients in a large measuring cup or mixing bowl. Whisk together until the dressing is smooth and emulsified.

Pour the dressing over the broccoli slaw. Add the cooled almonds, and stir well to combine. Let sit for at least 30 minutes or up to 4 hours, stirring occasionally to redistribute the dressing that will settle on the bottom of the bowl. (On warm days, refrigerate until ready to serve.)

Serve at room temperature or cool.