Job burnout

Options
Anyone else have job burnout??? and what do you do? I am a nurse in the OR and it is taking a toll on my back.

Replies

• Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely getting burnt out. I usually work 50+ hours/week minimum. Some weeks up to 80 hours/week. I do my best to sleep when I get the chance and try to relax and enjoy quality time with the love of my life.
  • redwan2001
    redwan2001 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Hi there I can see how that can totally burn you out and your feet. Hang in there girlie I am job burnt out as well lol. After a rough day I go to the gym to take my mind off of work and the stresses of life. Loosing weight is a constant battle, but keep your head up :)

Nadia
  • Cravenamanda
    Cravenamanda Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I work in the OR as well and I know at least a dozen co workers who have back problems. There are so many choices in the nursing field that I encourage them to seek other avenues of our field. If the OR is your love, maybe go for the educator or management roll where there are less hands on requirements. If you have courage, change it up! Maybe you will find another, less stressful on the body, nursing job you love as much or more. Good luck!
  • heytherestephy
    heytherestephy Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    My dad "burned out", he works 24/7-365 and in May had a number of seizures, was hospitalized, etc.
  • checof
    checof Posts: 114
    Options
    YES. I know what job burn out is all about. I'm doing a 24 hour shift as we speak. Tomorrow I will be off for 24 hours, and in the past this combination has been the perfect storm for me and my weight gain. Now I'm trying my hardest to stay under my calorie count on days like these, and to balance the burnout with my commitment to getting fit. It's not easy. Hang in there! We can do this. ^_^
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Ahhh. This is job specialization right here.
    Its called "Self Care". When you are done your shift, you need to ask yourself "What do I need?" That may be to sit back and watch a movie, go for a massage, take a bath, go for a run/walk, take time to meditate/pray or read a book.

If you get too far into your burn out, it becomes hard to recover from this. Make it a goal to do at least 1 thing for yourself each and every day.

Be realistic, when was the last time you took a REAL vacation? (Not just a weekend off staying at home). Remember life is about you and your family - not your job. Perhaps your priorities need to be changed?

Like diet, its about balance. Balance your personal and your professional life.

I forgot to add - ASK FOR WHAT YOU NEED! if you need less shifts, ask for it. If you need your husband to take the kids for the evening, ask for it. Do what you have to do so you can take care of you (body mind and spirit!)