Cheap/free rewards

I know a lot of people on here have rewards planned out for various milestones in their weight loss. I'd love to do that too, but I'm a very poor college student and I can't use purchasing things as a reward like many people do or else I won't be able to pay rent!

Does anyone have any ideas for cheap or free rewards that will still feel as legitimate as buying something or going somewhere nice?

I live in a major U.S. city if that helps at all.

Replies

• dadzpeach
    dadzpeach Posts: 174 Member
    I'm not a very poor college student, but I am a very poor working single woman with a mortgage :happy: But a lot of my little rewards are movies I want to see that are out on DVD/BluRay. I signed up for Redbox texts and get some deals like $.50 off or a free movie a month and if I hit my goal then I use that to see those movies. It's not a lot but it motivates me to lose weight before the movies leave Redbox.

I also use the night that I watch the movie to reward myself with a 100 calorie pack of kettle corn... Good lord I could eat tons of that stuff
  • htmlgirl
    htmlgirl Posts: 314 Member
    When I was in college, our school would do some free/cheap events, maybe yours does too?
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    I hate to spend money on myself, so I find that purchased rewards for myself don't really work. I always say I'll buy myself XYZ thing when I accomplish this or that, and when I get there I decide not to buy it....

So... What do you like? What kinds of things are a treat to you? dadzpeach suggested a movie. Maybe some down-time watching a movie or giving yourself a mani-pedi. Maybe a bubble bath or a visit to the jacuzzi (if your apartment complex has one). How about downloading a couple of new songs? Maybe an upgrade to something you already buy. For example, you could spend a few dollars more and get a better quality shampoo/conditioner or some really good coffee for making yours at home. If you enjoy hiking, reward yourself with a nice hike in a place you really enjoy. If you need new insoles for your shoes, get those. Next time you get your hair cut have them do a conditioning treatment (some are very reasonably priced). How about a free makeover of your room? You could reorganize your furniture and rearrange your closet so things feel new and fresh. Rewards don't have to be anything big - they're just a reminder that you achieved something.

Good luck!
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Another thought... What about starting a savings account as a reward? Every time you reach a goal, you could put $5, $20, or whatever amount is reasonable for you into it.