Single Mother - Tips for workouts at home

Options
Hey all

I am a single mother and want to work out , but it is hard as I have my daughter with me 50% of the time.

I do a lot of walking - even with daughter in tow. But really want to incorporate weights into my work out somehow......

I cant afford to go to the gym - is there at home dvds or youtube videos I could view?

TIA :)

Replies

• momRN2B
    momRN2B Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Try the 30 day shred from Jillian michaels it's a great DVD. All it takes is about 25 min and all u need is a set of hand weights and an exercise mat.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Do you have dumbbells already? I agree with the above poster - there are lots of good Jillian DVDs that use weights. If you have a smart phone, Nike Training Club is a free app that has a bunch of workouts from 15 to 45 minutes long, many of them requiring dumbbells.
  • kbverbatim
    kbverbatim Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Two sites that have short, very intense workouts that will burn fat quickly. Go to Youtube.com and search for Zuzka Light. She has her own channel. Her name is Zuzana and she is amazing. 10 -12 min HIIT workouts, high intensity interval training. Totally free, no equipment needed. http://www.youtube.com/user/zuzkalight?feature=results_main

The second is Bodyrock.tv. Same principle as Zuzana. In fact, Zuzana used to host Bodyrock.tv until she went on her own.
    I do these workouts 3-4 times a week.

Good luck:)
  • origwvgirl
    origwvgirl Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    There's a whole series of 10-minute workout videos (http://the10minutesolution.com/series/index.html). You can target what type of exercise you like to do and you don't have to set aside a chunk of time. The slim and sculpt pilates one is great. They have several mini-workouts that are 10 minutes each or you can do all 5 (or however many are on that particular DVD).
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with the above posters about Jillian Michaels' videos (30-day shred, ripped in 30). You'll get a very good total body workout that incorporates strength, cardio, and abs in about 25 minutes. There are multiple routines on each DVD (3 on the first, 4 on the second) so you get a lot of variety. Love them! I do my workout every morning before work, and I love that I can get a decent workout, stretch, shower and dress for work in under an hour.

The 30-day shred is available on YouTube for free if you want to try it out with no up front investment!
  • sarammorgan
    Options
    bump
  • kbrooks323
    Options
    The insanity is a really awesome program if you're looking for an at home workout. You can burn up to 1000 calories in one workout, which is no where near other programs on the market. The instructor Shaun is such a good motivator and even when you want to quit he has a way of keeping you engaged. I'm 2 months into the program and have seen awesome results so far. You can check out some more reviews/success stories on the page: http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/insanity.do

Let me know if you have any more questions, good look reaching your weight loss goals :)