Too Much Fiber Bad

Is too much fiber bad? I am having hard time staying within my fiber ranges for 1200 calories. I don't have an issue with anything else. Just the fiber. Thanks.

Replies

• No, I think you'd be hard pressed to eat too much. Women of child-bearing age need at least 25 grams a day.
  • ShaneOSX
    ShaneOSX Posts: 198
    Agree with Ashley.
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    They really lowball fiber here. I usually eat 30 to 50 grams a day when I'm eating well..
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    It's not bad, no!

However, if you didn't used to eat much fiber, it's a good idea to build that up gradually and drink a ton of water and don't skimp on your fats or you might be backed up at first. :blushing:
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    And it helps prevent diverticulitis, which trust me, you don't want (my husband recently had a foot of his intestine removed). He takes at least a 35g a day supplement and it has actually been very good for him.

Only downside if you take it naturally is it makes you gassy. This will change as your body adjusts - and yours probably has.
  • ktmmom189
    ktmmom189 Posts: 132 Member
    Great. Mine says like 14 or 15 on 1200 calories and I am not able to stay within that very easily. Thanks so much.
  • shirley_beans
    shirley_beans Posts: 65 Member
    There's no reason to stay within the fiber range- it's not like sodium, for example, or even a vitamin. In the case of fiber, too much is not a bad thing! The USDA recommendation of 25 grams daily is actually pretty low, and most Americans don't even reach this amount! I'm vegetarian and probably average 40g a day. I have no digestive issues whatsoever. So enjoy your fiber hehe :)