Am I the only one whos heard of this?

Has anyone ever heard of adults eating baby food for the vitamins and nutrients in them? I've hears of older adults who can only have soft foods so nursing homes feed them baby food but there is a 25 year old at my work who uses the jar of baby fruits like pears, apples, bananas in her smoothies bc her doctor told her its higher in fiber and potassium then most foods plus it's quicker then chopping fruits and veggies up.

Replies

• I used to eat baby fruits when I was in my 20's because I loved the taste (especially peaches). Down side is they are higher in calories - fresh fruit is always the best choice (in my opinion.)
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Yeah, I've heard of quite a lot of adults eating baby food... for dieting/snacks/whatever. It's relatively cheap, and effective. You could also just puree the fruit/veggies and put them in Tupperware for a larger serving.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    This sounds goofy to me. I'd rather have a fresh, whole apple and banana in my smoothie than something from a jar. If there's a reason to be consuming more nutrients than you can get from whole foods, I would recommend taking a supplement rather than wasting money on baby food. If you've got a good blender, it doesn't take more time to use whole foods than it does to open several jars of baby food and scrape out the contents.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    I use it in baking quite often. It's a replacement for eggs and oil. I normally use applesauce but to add a different flavour I will use baby food now and again.