Any Swimmers Out There?

Options
So, last year, one of my best friends and I swam together four times a week, every week. We kept each other motivated, and it was a lot of fun to work out together! Since then, I have wanted to get back into swimming, but I'm wondering if anyone else likes to swim? I was hoping maybe we could keep each other motivated! Add me!

So, do you swim? What stroke is your favorite, and what distance have you worked up to? Or do you swim for speed instead of distance? :)

Also, if you haven't swum before, and you want to, add me! I would love to support some fellow swimmers out there!

Replies

• icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I'm a swimmer!

I belong to a gym that has a rehab pool, so it's pretty small and the water is kept at a balmy 92 degrees. The cool thing is that the floor goes up and down so I don't have to worry about crawling up and down a ladder with my new knees.

I'm most comfortable with the crawl stroke, and I usually just time my swims - I usually warm up for about 10 minutes, swim laps for 20 minutes, and then spend the rest of the hour stretching, doing some core strengthening, relaxing, and socializing.
  • JustMagpie
    JustMagpie Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I do the aqua jog classes, 45 or 60 mins each class. I also do condition swims. Those are just doing laps. I am a very slow swimmer. So I can do about 20 lapse in 25 mins. Very slow indeed. !
  • dinoskycm
    dinoskycm Posts: 267
    Options
    That's so cool! I've never seen a rehab pool before! Is it 25 meters?

My favorite two strokes are free and back. I also like the breast stroke, but it takes longer to get from one end of the pool to the other because my feet and hands aren't usually insync. haha I used to do a 100 meter warm up, then I would alternate between 200 Free and 200 Back, and I usually would do some work with my arms only. (There's that foam thing that you put between your knees to stop you from kicking. I don't know the actual name of it. haha) Then we might do some calf muscle work with the flippers. Other days, we would just do back and free the whole time. lol
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Love to swim, even more than running I can zone out and swim until I'm blue in the face (not really though cuz that would mean I'm drowning, but I digress). My favorite is the butterfly although it is the hardest. Depending on what I'm training for- speed or distance, my distance varies. I have been training for a sprint Tri so I usually do a circuit of only using legs swim, arms only 'swim', technique improvement, backstroke and speed timing. I am not a super swimmer either but I think I get by with what I got. :happy:
  • MerBear1985
    Options
    Hello! I was a lifeguard for over 10 years and I can probably swim a pretty fair distance at a moderate pace. I love front crawl and really need to swim more. Butterfly is my arch nemesis!!!

Anyone can add me if y'all want to! I am looking to spend more time in the pool this fall/winter since I need to take a break from running to heal up my leg and foot.

I think I can do maybe 20 laps in 12-15 min. I used to be faster and hope to get there again...my fastest time for 20 laps was under 10 min when I was 16!
  • MerBear1985
    Options
    The foam thing is called a pull buoy :)
  • dinoskycm
    Options
    I do the aqua jog classes, 45 or 60 mins each class. I also do condition swims. Those are just doing laps. I am a very slow swimmer. So I can do about 20 lapse in 25 mins. Very slow indeed. !

That's cool! I've never done the aqua jog class. I've done water aerobics, but I wasn't very good at it. haha I would kick my leg out, and float to the top. haha! I guess that's part of the point. It makes you struggle to do the exercise. haha I just always looked goofy!! LOL

I'm not that fast either. I am fast for my body, but when compared to other people, I'm not fast at all. Like, my best time for a mile was around 43 minutes; whereas, my tall and lanky friend did it in around 31 minutes.
  • ShaneOSX
    ShaneOSX Posts: 198
    Options
    I started less than a month ago, and am certainly no good at it, but it's the most fun I've had exercising without a doubt.
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Yes!! pull buoy is our friend. Also makes me think of pool boy, whom I would also like to make my friend :love:
  • dinoskycm
    Options
    Hello! I was a lifeguard for over 10 years and I can probably swim a pretty fair distance at a moderate pace. I love front crawl and really need to swim more. Butterfly is my arch nemesis!!!

Anyone can add me if y'all want to! I am looking to spend more time in the pool this fall/winter since I need to take a break from running to heal up my leg and foot.

I think I can do maybe 20 laps in 12-15 min. I used to be faster and hope to get there again...my fastest time for 20 laps was under 10 min when I was 16!

What is front crawl? I'm not familiar with that one. I know Free, Back, Breast, and Fly. (I hate butterfly as well!) I'm definitely not that fast, but I'd love to get there one day!!! :)
  • nursenessa1
    nursenessa1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I swim an hour most weekdays freestyle. Love it!
  • Firephoenix013
    Options
    Love swimming. Easy on my body since I've had so many broken bones and now have a metal rod/screw in my body as well. I love doing the breast stroke, burns a lot of calories. As for distance/speed...I don't know. I just do it for time. The pool I swim in is just a family swimming pool, no lanes, etc. So I have no idea how far I swim, I just go around and around and around and around.
  • dinoskycm
    Options
    The foam thing is called a pull buoy :)

Good to know!!! It can be really awkward trying to describe that thing! LOL
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Open water is my favorite - season is about to end....:cry:
  • dinoskycm
    Options
    I started less than a month ago, and am certainly no good at it, but it's the most fun I've had exercising without a doubt.

That's awesome! I love it too! What strokes have you tried and how far do you usually go? :)
  • dinoskycm
    Options
    I swim an hour most weekdays freestyle. Love it!

that's awesome! I want to get back to going all the time! :)
  • MerBear1985
    Options

What is front crawl? I'm not familiar with that one. I know Free, Back, Breast, and Fly. (I hate butterfly as well!) I'm definitely not that fast, but I'd love to get there one day!!! :)

Front Crawl is the same as Freestyle.
  • MerBear1985
    Options
    Yes!! pull buoy is our friend. Also makes me think of pool boy, whom I would also like to make my friend :love:

Mmmmm......pool boy :)
  • sandyyy712
    Options
    I swim on my high school varsity team :)
    swimming is the best way to work out cause its awesome!
    I LOVE long distance freestyle and despise breaststroke.
  • dinoskycm
    Options

Front Crawl is the same as Freestyle.

Ohh gotcha. lol I've never heard it called that before. haha