Is 3 meals a day only a bad thing?

Options
Hi everyone..
just a question.. i know most people say to eat 5-6 small meals a day.. well i just am not hungrey enough! And i feel like i always over eat when i try to eat this way. Is it wrong that i want to only eat .. breakfast lunch and dinner.. maybe a snack in the evening.. that's it.
Also what about the idea of only eating when your hungrey?? do you think that's wrong.. like i should be making myself eat, for the sake of keeping up my metabolism? Or should I just be listening to my stomach, and only eat when I feel hungrey enough to eat? The reason I ask this, it because I have tried eating more often.. which I always eat more in the evening.. (trying to break habit) and end up ruining my cal. intake for the day. But at the same time, I dont want to be nieve and ruin this dieting/weightloss i'm trying to acheive. The weight has just been really coming off slowly..
perhaps I should just step up my working out, instead of focusing so much on the food?
thnx for the help

Replies

• Bride092909
    Options
    I don't have the answer but I have the same issue as you...when I try the small, many meal system I overeat and/or am not hunugry for them in the am.

Hopefully a experienced weight losser out there can help :)

98244.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Honestly 3 meals is fine unless you're eating 3000 cals then I would break it up into 5-6. But you have to find out what is right for you. I usually stick with 3 meals 1-2 snacks.
  • Nightdust
    Nightdust Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I eat three meals and three 100 calorie snacks a day. I try to keep myself eating every 2-3 hours so my metabolism is constantly working. That's what has worked for me so far.
  • CarolynD1986
    Options
    Eat when you are hungry, and especially if you exercise, do not forget to eat your calories or in the long run, you will crash.

Bottom line though, calories add up the same amount at the end of the day whether it's between 6 meals or 3 so do what works for you. I eat 3 meals a day, breakfast often melding into lunch (I can't eat before working out in the morning, it makes me want to puke during my workout) and I have a later lunch and eat dinner around 7. There is no one-way to do things and it's pretty simple really, eat well, don't overeat, and eat when you feel hungry, not because you feel like eating. There are some days I am hungrier than others, and on those days I eat a little more. If I don't eat enough, my workouts suffer because I don't have enough calorie intake and it is not the day-of that I feel it. It is a long process. Counting calories is a great way to stay slim, but it is easy to take it too seriously and end up eating too little.
  • Savage_Garden
    Options
    I think not. It all depends on your calorie intake per day. I for one can't do 3 meals a day because I get too hungry in between meals. Smaller meals will always work for me so I wouldn't get crave for more. Hope this helps.
  • katielouhoo
    katielouhoo Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Three meals a day is fine. Personally I need to learn not to not to feel driven to snack so much.
    I need to be satisfied after eating and be able to get through 6 hours without making bad choices.
    So, I have more water and a couple of planned snacks( if I must). I try to save extra calories for an evening snack to help myself feel like I've earned a daily reward for sticking to my calorie goals and i really haven't been eating much between meals.
    And I too, am going against suggestions that most calories be eaten early. I still need to have a more "regular meal" in the evening with my husband. So I try to save at least 400 or more of the daily calories for my evening meal.

My choice to do it this way hasn't hurt. I've been dieting almost 14 weeks and am doing pretty good so far. -katie