Help 'INSANITY' weight gain.

Ok I been doing insanity for a month now. Tomorrow I'll start the recovery week. And so far no weight lose. First week didn't lose anything second week I lost 2 lbs but gained it back so now im just pretty much stuck.
I know i gained muscle and lost 2 inches of my waist 1 inch of my hips and im glad but I do wanna see weight lose. I just need some type of feedback. Im 24 5'2 weigh 140 taking in 1340 calories a day
I really thought being on a diet and exercising 6 times a day would help me loose lbs but nothing, so pretty much im frustrated about the whole thing.

Replies

• Hi there!

You could be replacing fat with muscle, which would account for the lack of pounds loss. For Insanity, they always say to forget the scale and pay attention to measurements, which means you're doing great! Also, most say they really started losing with Insanity starting the 6th week, during the max circuit. The workouts in the second month are much longer and more intense. The first month is sort of the "primer" for your body, to get it ready for the REAL workouts of month 2!

I did 3 months of Insanity (the full circuit, plus another month of MAX) and I actually gained 10 or so pounds, and got bigger in pant size. I ate according to their plan. However, I did gain a lot of muscle and felt incredible in terms of fitness. Sadly none of my fat seemed to burn (even when I dropped calories in the second month) and it all just sat on top of my new muscles. :( I did a lot of research trying to figure out why, and I came across some information that some people cannot handle high intensity workouts as it stresses their system too much and can actually halt fat loss. I feel that happened to me, so even though I did enjoy Insanity, I put it away in favor of long sessions of lower intensity workouts, but I'll be back to it once I reach my goal, because I truly did feel amazing afterwards! :)

Good luck! :)
  • Don't pay attention to the scales. That number can change so much during the day just becasue of what goes in and out of your body. You lost inches thats all that counts. No one needs to know that number but you. Everyone will see the results becasue your body is changing.
  • jenjones28
    jenjones28 Posts: 66 Member
    I'm so glad I'm not the only one! I just finished week 2 of Insanity. I initially gained 2 pounds, but I lost 1 1/2 inches around my waist and I know I've lost around my hips, although I having measured them yet. Using the calculator on the Insanity website, this would mean I've lost an estimated 6% body fat, going from 38% to 32%. That makes me pretty happy. My clothes are getting loose, too.

So, what you're not seeing on the scale, you're probably losing in body fat and replacing with muscle. Oh, and I'm pretty close to you in size, too, for what that's worth. I'm hovering at around 130 pounds now at a height of 5' 0".
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    You will have some water weight gain, and as others mentioned you might also be gaining muscle. That being said, 1340 seems low while doing insanity. We are about the same height, I'm 120lbs and on days I do insanity do not eat less than 1750 cal. Your body needs that fuel to perform at it's best.