Cardio and Weights

Options
Hi,

Quick question--on my weight training days, I like to throw in a short cardio workout just to get my blood pumping a bit more. I'm wondering though if it's more beneficial to do the cardio before the weights, or after. RIght now, I usually do it before so that I'm know that I've done it and don't have to push myself to finish after my longer weight training dvd's, but wanted some insight if there was a more effective way or not.

Thanks!

Replies

• GabeSpain
    GabeSpain Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I personally think that it doesn't matter, and that it's just up to the person's personal preference. I've heard most people say that it's best to do the weights first, and then the cardio. I personally do my cardio first and then weights because 1: I feel more warmed up and my muscles are more stretched/warmer, and 2: If I choose to do weights first, once I'm done with them, I wouldn't have the energy to do a good cardio workout... I would just be too tired. I find it a lot easier to do my cardio first because after doing it, I feel like I have enough energy to do weights afterwards. In conclusion, I would say to try both ways out and see which one suits you better. Both ways are completely fine and are not bad in any way, so go for it!!! Good luck!!!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Most people recommend cardio last. Doing heavy weight lifting while tired can lead to issues with fatigue and form which can result in injuries. A little cardio to start off with to get warmed up isn't bad, of course. I do about 5 minutes, myself.
  • Inrequia
    Inrequia Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I don't think it really matters, but I like to do mine in intervals. A couple sets doing some weight training, and a few minutes of cardio, repeat with varied moves. I love to give myself little milestones along the way.. it seems to make a huge difference in finding the willpower to keep going if my body screams in protest. It confuses the body too, which I've heard gives a more effective workout.

In my opinion, the best thing to do is just find a way that makes it so you get through it, and ideally, enjoy it. Good luck!
  • cybercpa
    cybercpa Posts: 60
    Options
    My muscles are too tired after a hard cardio workout to do my normal weight amount
  • zechks
    zechks Posts: 224
    Options
    Hi,

Quick question--on my weight training days, I like to throw in a short cardio workout just to get my blood pumping a bit more. I'm wondering though if it's more beneficial to do the cardio before the weights, or after. RIght now, I usually do it before so that I'm know that I've done it and don't have to push myself to finish after my longer weight training dvd's, but wanted some insight if there was a more effective way or not.

Thanks!

Cardio is better done after lifting weights. A "warm-up cardio" before lifting is a different story.. warm-up could be a 5-10 min moderate intensity cardio.. But a longer cardio session, say 20-30 minutes, is better done right after lifting. You need lots of strength and energy when lifting unless you're lifting 5's dumbbells, and that won't do nothing. So what I'm trying to say is lifting heavy then cardio is the way to go. ;)