Sleep eating

Options
I have been struggling with sleep eating for such a long time. I was also diagnosed with reactive hypoglycemia some months ago. I am not sure if my night eating is related to my hypoglycemia or something else. I am currently on 5htp for 3 days but obviously it doesnt help at all. Any one who has an idea what I should do? I eat 1200-1300 cals before bed. But I consume almost 1000 cals in my sleep. Last night I woke up and ate 10 pieces of chocolate then went to bed. In a few hours I woke up again and ate some more pieces of chocolate. I am so tired in the morning. I cant get a good night sleep. It happens every single night. I feel so desperate but I cant help it. It's like I am half asleep and have no control so I eat anything sugary that's in reach. Any help would be apprecciated. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• bworman8
    Options
    I used to sleep eat as well, for a long while according to friends and roommates. Working out, eating better foods, taking vitamins and supplements (including melatonin before bedtime) have seemingly stopped this behavior. That's what works for me-check with your doctor first before anything-
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Do you take ambien? I've heard that sleep eating (as well as driving) can be a side effect of ambien and maybe your doctor can prescribe a different sleep medication.
  • eatrainsmile
    eatrainsmile Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I have been to doctor's so many times. They just didnt figure out what it is. When it first started they thought it was psychological and prescribed me antidepressants. I know it's not stress related. Ok maybe stress induced but it's not happening because I am stressful because I am not depressed or anything. I work out moderately, I eat well, I stay away from refined sugar (except sleep time). I cant solve the problem. No matter how many calories I eat before bed, even if I eat 2000 cals during the day, I wake up to eat again and again.
  • eatrainsmile
    Options
    No I am not on ambien. I am currently using 5htp but it's not working for my sleep eating although I sleep deeper.
  • abaka123
    abaka123 Posts: 48
    Options
    get rid of chocolate and anything else fattening, ice cream, candy, crackers, chips, pretzels etc..:ohwell:
  • glowingcactus
    glowingcactus Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Are you in control of the food in the house? Can you not ensure that there is no sugary food available for you to eat? At least then you would be snacking on something wholesome and that would prevent the sugar peaks. Not being able to get a full nights sleep is a dreadful thing.
  • TamAD48
    TamAD48 Posts: 387
    Options
    get rid of chocolate and anything else fattening, ice cream, candy, crackers, chips, pretzels etc..:ohwell:

I agree with this.....also, if your doctor can't figure out what's causing it, what about being tested at a sleep center? I know several people who have gone for sleep studies, they keep you there for the night and monitor your sleep patterns. If there is something going on they can figure it out.
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    If you are sleep eating how are you cognizant of what you are eating? Sorry this intrigues me a bit... If you are capable of discerning what you ate after sleep eating then is it really sleep eating or are you just leaving the wrappers sitting around ? Maybe lock away the treats with a combination lock. If you break that lock combo while sleeping you are just fooling yourself and using "sleep eating" as an excuse.

I slept walk a lot as a kid. My moms solution from me not wandering outside and into a busy traffic lane was to put a combination padlock on the front door... It worked ! No more nights waking up at 3am on a cold wet grass lawn... Instead apparently I would just sit there and grunt at the door because I couldnt get it unlocked then just go back to bed defeated...
  • eatrainsmile
    Options
    I know that I am eating. I know what I am eating but I have no control over it. I am half asleep. Next morning I remember what I ate just like I did it in my dream. Not all of it though. Yes I get the kitchen door locked when I go to bed if my boyfriend or my parents stay in my place but at night I wake up and crave food. I look for the key and if I cant find it, I feel like I am starving.

I stayed in a hospital for a prolonged hunger test for hypoglycemia last month. I stayed there for 3 days and didnt wake up in the middle of the night for food. Maybe it's just a habit. Locking the kitchen door helps for a day but as soon as I am alone I do it again and again.

Oh maybe I should really stay in a sleep center but I guess I won't wake up in the middle of the night for food when I am there.
  • Cold_Steel
    Options
    Maybe try some hypnosis or some meditations? If you are mentally cognizant of what you are eating and when you are eating it you have the ability to control that. Mind over food, mind over food.

If you are truly hungry you may have some sort of deficiency during the day that is making you wake up starving or maybe you need to mix up your daily food intake or try eating your largest meal before you go to bed ? Some peoples metabolism are on fire when they sleep and that could be the reason. Or maybe put some healthy snacks out so when you do wake up you have that option and not chocolate or 1000calories of any thing.

If you are cognizant enough to remember you are cognizant enough to make a better choice... just a few thoughts.
  • eatrainsmile
    Options
    Yes I thought it could be some kind of deficiency. So I take multivitamin daily. I watch my food. I stay away from refined sugar, white flour etc. I eat healthy and enough during day. I dont even go to bed hungry. But as you said my metabolism can be on fire because I always wake up in sweat at night. I'll try to put healthy options in reach tonight and see what happens. Thanks.
  • Cold_Steel
    Options
    Yes I thought it could be some kind of deficiency. So I take multivitamin daily. I watch my food. I stay away from refined sugar, white flour etc. I eat healthy and enough during day. I dont even go to bed hungry. But as you said my metabolism can be on fire because I always wake up in sweat at night. I'll try to put healthy options in reach tonight and see what happens. Thanks.

The next time it happens or maybe a few times try an all day fast and then eat a large meal before bedtime ? A healthy meal of course. Get your mind set that you are satisfied.

It could be that you are a natural over night person... Have you ever held an over night job or spend a lot of time overnight ? Did you feel any better?

There are some random people that are like that, not many but I have met a few people that are walking zombies during the day and are just 100% night owls.
  • MTBrob
    MTBrob Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Throw all the junk out and replace with nothing but healthy foods and sleep eat to your hearts content.. But you better set up surveillance cams in the kitchen, because you will need to record it in MFP :):):)
  • eatrainsmile
    Options
    I am proud to say I have overcome sleep eating:) I started to drink casein before bed. My night time hungers went away. I sleep better and wake up in a better mood. I am so happy to beat my sickness that ruined my life for years. Yay!
  • DaniaIvette
    Options
    Eatrainsmile, I also suffer from NS-RED and I feel miserable because I do not know how to stop it. Can you please share your experience with Casein? How much do you drink? Is it still working for you?
  • DaniaIvette
    Options
    I've suffered from sleep eating for about four years already. Consequently it's impossible to diet and lose weight. I feel very frustrated.
  • hdjjones
    hdjjones Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Maybe what you should concentrate on is why you are waking up. Is it to go to the bathroom? Do you have sleep apnea? I realize that you probably can't go all night without waking, but maybe if you could limit the amount of times you wake up it would help. How about a 3 mile run or walk before bed so you are good and tired? Just some suggestions. I know it must be frustrating. I know someone that would wake up and eat but not know it until they woke up the next morning to chocolate covered sheets and chicken legs in bed with them.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I have this issue as well and have the same symptoms. Casein...is that all you did differently?
  • DaniaIvette
    Options
    I was recently diagnosed with sleep apnea. I'm going to treat that, perhaps it'll help.
  • loneworg
    loneworg Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    My guess is that get rid of the food you munch on at night and if you dont want to then lock up your food cubards and put the key in a place that will be hard to find when your half asleep but easy to when your wide awake if that makes sence lol