Alternative ab exercises??!!

I hate doing crunches and sit ups (still try and do some occasionally)
Can anyone suggest some other abdominal/ psoas / ql's (basically general mid section) exercises alternative to sit ups and crunches to mix it up a bit?

( suitable for a beginner like me)

Replies

• i have a lot of trouble with abs myself, i do a lot of flutter kicks, it is when you lay on your back with your legs about 12 inches off the ground and you put your hands under your butt to support yourself, then kick your legs like you would if you were swimming. do that with a 4 count, like 1-2-3-4 =1 rep. also if you use an exercise ball to do abs cause that will help you work secondary muscles
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Planks and side planks.
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Planks and push ups give the abs a good workout.
  • ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
    Cool
    I hurt my wrist at work and can only do push ups if I tape it an still just a few but planks are good.
    And the flutter kick thing sounds good too, if I can figure out how to do it properly, sounds like it'd work adductors too?
    Thanks guys :)
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Suck them in. It works. Do that really quick... in out in out..... then keep them sucked in as long as you can all day. Hard work... but it works cause they are working full time :)
  • ebony__
    Haha wow does that really work?
  • Moniqua1
    Moniqua1 Posts: 195 Member
    I started doing planks and now I do a couple of exercises that I definitely feel. One is to katy on your back in crunch position lift your legs up straight to 90 degrees from the floor, once there, bend them and do a full crunch, straighten your legs and take them down slowly. Repeat. The other one is weird too. I sit on the arm of my chair, grab two sides for stability, lean back and do leg lifts/crunches using the chair almost like an exercise ball.
  • CaseRat
    CaseRat Posts: 377 Member
    Check out the 'Ab Ripper X' from the P90X program. Should be some clips on youtube. Hardest core workout I've done in my life.
  • rkr22401
    rkr22401 Posts: 216 Member
    Squats (no that's not a typo)
  • mskatee
    mskatee Posts: 33
    If you like exercise DVDs try Chalene's Cardio Party Turbo Jam. You do these knee lift things that are like standing crunches--lots of ab work but as it's built into the routine you don't notice it!

I hate crunches too.
  • ebony__
    Squats (no that's not a typo)

I like squats . I try to do them 3-4 times a week.. And more than that and my quads hate me :). ( they'll live me for it in the end!)
  • ebony__
    If you like exercise DVDs try Chalene's Cardio Party Turbo Jam. You do these knee lift things that are like standing crunches--lots of ab work but as it's built into the routine you don't notice it!

I hate crunches too.

Hmm I don't even have a DVD player but they sound good.
  • Slendertone Ab Toning belt.....PRICELESS,
    I've used one for ten years and i'm on my fourth one....if it broke today I would go out and buy a fifth.
    Tip...turn the intensity up as high as you can stand it, if it's too low it will just tickle you...
    When your abs ache the next day then you've had it high enough....work your way up to the highest setting
  • LittleNicci
    LittleNicci Posts: 284 Member
    BuMp
  • CaseRat
    CaseRat Posts: 377 Member
    Slendertone Ab Toning belt.....PRICELESS,
    I've used one for ten years and i'm on my fourth one....if it broke today I would go out and buy a fifth.
    Tip...turn the intensity up as high as you can stand it, if it's too low it will just tickle you...
    When your abs ache the next day then you've had it high enough....work your way up to the highest setting

....uh. You're kidding, right?
  • ebony__
    Slendertone Ab Toning belt.....PRICELESS,

....uh. You're kidding, right?

I thought those things were just a scam?
  • Definitely not kidding....they are worth every penny, just don't be scared of how hard they crunch your abs when on the highest intensity....remember, no pain, no gain.
    These belts work, I can not physically crunch as hard as the belt does it for me.
    Put it on in the morning whilst pottering about or choose to lay down with it on and let it do all the work for you.
    Tip......don't bent down to put washing in the washer whilst it's crunching your abs (that hurts)
  • ebony__
    This is really shocking to hear I thought they were a load of bull, but I'm not beyond givin something a try even if I'm skeptical..
    Would the brand matter?
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    You can do planks on your forearms, so your wrist shouldn't be an issue.

Hanging knee raises or using the captain's chair.

Weighted sit ups, swiss ball crunches, reverse crunches, leg raises, there's millions.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    The only ones I can think of that haven't already been mentioned or isn't a variation of a crunch is prone jackknives.