MrJase Posts: 88 Member
Morning :)

I've just knocked up my very first smoothie for breakfast it consisted of:

Low fat Greek natural yogurt
Strawberries raw
Blueberries raw
Raspberries raw
Blueberries raw

Now when I added it all into my food dairy it came to over 300 calories. Is this right? Just seems a bit high?

Replies

• thinnnnnnner
    Options
    If you're putting in the correct amounts of berries and the right brand of yogurt it's going to be the right amount of cal...

I have .5 cup greek yogurt every day with .5 cup blueberries and .5 cup raspberries and it's close to 200 cal.
  • MrJase
    Options
    Thanks for the reply,

I think that's it I will double check the quantity that's getting logged. I didn't even think about that (obvious really lol)

Thanks again :)
  • thinnnnnnner
    Options
    Do you log from your phone?

I LOVE the bar code scan option, basically makes sure you never have to guess on brand or anything. So great.

I think smoothies seem like they're high in cal cause they're not as filling as if you were to actually eat the ingredients.
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I shocked when I painstakingly calculated my daily fruit smoothie and found it came to 300 cal. What?! My deliciously healthy breakfast concoction is quite a substantial meal. I would never have guessed it was that high.
  • greenthickies
    Options
    Yes that probably is right. I have a smoothie website and I shared filling smoothie 'meals' which are often between 300-500 calories as I like to drink a smoothie as a meal replacement as I don't have a lot of time for sit down meals. It's shocking isn't it? I also add oats to my 'Green Thickies' to make them even more filling. Yes it's better if you do see a smoothie as a meal or it's a good way to gain some weight. Let me know if you need any recipes or help.
  • MrJase
    Options
    Yes that probably is right. I have a smoothie website and I shared filling smoothie 'meals' which are often between 300-500 calories as I like to drink a smoothie as a meal replacement as I don't have a lot of time for sit down meals. It's shocking isn't it? I also add oats to my 'Green Thickies' to make them even more filling. Yes it's better if you do see a smoothie as a meal or it's a good way to gain some weight. Let me know if you need any recipes or help.

I'm a complete newby to this smoothie stuff (first one this morning! Lol) but I would definately take you up on your offer for some recipes? Do you have a website or something?
  • SelenityJ
    SelenityJ Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I try to limit myself to one smoothie a day on light exercise days. After a strenuous work out I will sometimes treat myself to a second or even a third one!
  • rladd6421
    rladd6421 Posts: 455
    Options
    my usual dinner smoothie is a cup of almond milk (original), half cup of raw blueberries, a quarter cup of old fashioned oats, and a scoop of french vanilla creme protein powder and it comes to 296 calories. It keeps me full until my next meal.
  • babenes
    babenes Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My Smoothie i usually have as post work out:
    1 Scoop Whey Protein Vanilla
    1 Cup Non Fat Milk
    1 Banana
    1 Table Spoon Natural Peanut Butter
    Cal= 440 (Carb 48/ Protien 40/Fat 10)
  • alanaaaoh
    Options
    PUT KALE IN IT!
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    1. Drinking your fruit whether juice or smoothie is always higher calorie, but there are tricks.
    2. Add enough fruit for flavor for nutrition & flavor but not overkill. I try to keep it to a combined total of 1 cup of fruit. Like 1/2 cup berries 1/2 banana or 1/2 cup melon & 1/2 cup berries etc.
    3. Add other ingredients for nutrition & bulk/fiber/thickener. For example, add oat bran, flax meal, wheat bran, almond meal. Add a calcium rich liquid that's lo-cal like unsweetened almond milk. Then my personal fave is to add psyllium husks. They add very few calories but a ton of fiber and make the beverage thicken. Add too much and you can make it a pudding. LOL
  • greenthickies
    Options
    Yes I have a smoothie website with loads of smoothie recipes. Most of them are filling thick green smoothies made with added oats to keep you going. You can always adjust the recipes to your own needs. If you don't want to add the greens, leave them out or you can leave the oats out to reduce the calories. They will still taste the same.
    I actually joined this website this week as I'm doing a 7 day smoothie challenge. I'm just drinking smoothies for a week to see how it affects me. I only have a few pounds left to lose and so far have lost 4 pounds in a few days so it's making a massive difference only having smoothies. I'll be blogging about it on Wednesday and again next week.

My website is http://www.GreenThickies.com

Let me know if you've got any questions.