I can't seem to get my sugars down!!

Options
I love smoothies, but it seems just one will bring me almost to my daily allowance of sugars. How do you enjoy your fruits/smoothies and keep your sugars low?

Replies

• thinnnnnnner
    Options
    My sugars are always over because I eat a lot of fruit too. I know there's a huge controversy over fruit because of it's high sugar content, but I don't care because it's all natural and delicious!
  • iryshjones
    iryshjones Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    try 1 cup milk (i use unflavored soy milk) 1-2 scoops protein powder (lost of vanilla flavored ones with low sugar - a nice one is ISO-Femme actually made for women 25g protein, 1g fat 1g sugar 115cal) and .1/2 cup of frozen fruit. (try to go easy on bananas - they have more sugar that other fruits, then add a cople ice cubes. Makes a great breakfast especially if you are on the go - very portable.

27650993.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • MSimm62385
    MSimm62385 Posts: 227
    Options
    Ignore the "Sugar" macro on this site. Track "Carbs" instead. Problem solved =)
  • krismcewan
    Options
    there are different sugars in different fruits. Some are god some are bad.
    I ignore the sugars in fruit as they generally are ok as long as your exercising daily then hose sugars will be burned up first.
  • MSimm62385
    MSimm62385 Posts: 227
    Options
    I ignore the sugars in fruit as they generally are ok as long as your exercising daily then hose sugars will be burned up first.

As far as I know, sugar is sugar to your body and there is no difference. But the "sugar" macro on this site is really only for "added sugars" and is also has an absurdly low limit. Really, the only things I see people tracking that get serious results are Carbs, Fats, and Protein. Maybe other factors like Fiber and Sodium, too.
  • whiskeycharged
    whiskeycharged Posts: 400 Member
    Options

:devil: .. not sure how far that advice will get you.

I never go over sugar and eat about 2500 calories a day now. I also drink multiple smoothies.

Instead of milk, drink almond milk. Instead of regular yogurt, get plain non-fat greek yogurt. Switch fruits with vegetables and if you can, plan ahead. Log tomorrows food the night before to see where you stand. Then make necessary adjustments.
  • Alohathin
    Alohathin Posts: 360 Member
    Options

I never go over sugar and eat about 2500 calories a day now. I also drink multiple smoothies.

Instead of milk, drink almond milk. Instead of regular yogurt, get plain non-fat greek yogurt. Switch fruits with vegetables and if you can, plan ahead. Log tomorrows food the night before to see where you stand. Then make necessary adjustments.

Fruits are fine, you don't need to swap them out for veggies. I agree with the greek yogurt, though.

I don't track sugar at all. I avoid refined sugar in foods, and get nearly all of mine from fruits and raw honey. I don't care if I go over a bit on sugar, as long as I'm keeping my carbs in check.
  • LittleNicci
    LittleNicci Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I asked the same thing a few weeks ago

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/703339-sugar

worry about sodium more

EDIT: you can check my diary if you'd like, I track cals, carbs, fat, protein, fiber and sodium
  • whiskeycharged
    Options
    I asked the same thing a few weeks ago

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/703339-sugar

worry about sodium more

EDIT: you can check my diary if you'd like, I track cals, carbs, fat, protein, fiber and sodium

I was expecting a long in depth thread. I saw the opinion of 1 person. Maybe 2. LOL
  • LittleNicci
    LittleNicci Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    allinseven2 : uh, sorry? i think...lol

as long as you're not a diabetic sugars from fruit aren't bad.

SODIUM however, is not good for anyone "the white death" is what my family's always called it lol
  • whiskeycharged
    Options

SODIUM however, is not good for anyone "the white death" is what my family's always called it lol

I agree. That's why I monitor both and drink a lot of water.

Stay healthy my friends.
  • Jemmuno
    Jemmuno Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    just count the sugars not associated with fruits when determining your sugar count, because sugar from fruit is not bad.
  • Alohathin
    Options

My whole family has high blood pressure. I try to keep my sodium as low as I can. Set my daily goal for 1300 (nearly half of that is from a can of tuna; I recently started rinsing my tuna first, in hopes that it will flush out some of the sodium). I go over sometimes, but I'm usually way below the MFP default of 2500.
  • PNJB796
    PNJB796 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar! (aka adipose tissue aka "brown fats" aka big backs, tums , bums and thighs!
  • bluechip777
    bluechip777 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Velma; what is it exactly you are eating w/ your smoothies? brand, how much, often, what are you adding to them???
  • Jemmuno
    Jemmuno Posts: 413 Member
    Options

As far as I know, sugar is sugar to your body and there is no difference. But the "sugar" macro on this site is really only for "added sugars" and is also has an absurdly low limit. Really, the only things I see people tracking that get serious results are Carbs, Fats, and Protein. Maybe other factors like Fiber and Sodium, too.

Ultimately I think you are right that sugar is sugar, however the way in which our body processes it is very different and is more or less harsh on the body depending on how it needs to be broken down in the body. Sugars from fruit are usually very easy for the body to break down and process, but sugar from things such as high fructose corn syrup are especially hard for the body to process and in large amounts can be very harmful.
  • cuteazz1
    cuteazz1 Posts: 37
    Options
    Use lower sugar fruits like strawberries,rasberries,bluberries...and dont add And orange juice or flavored yogurt...Plain yogurt,berries,ice,splenda,protein powder.
  • velmaisvelma
    velmaisvelma Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Velma; what is it exactly you are eating w/ your smoothies? brand, how much, often, what are you adding to them???

When I make my own, I use nonfat yogurt, raw honey, 1/4 cup pineapple, 1/2 banana, 1/2 peach, or swap up the fruits, depending on my taste for the day. When I buy my own, I buy Schwan's Fruchi Smoothies, Tropical.
  • Ignore the "Sugar" macro on this site. Track "Carbs" instead. Problem solved =)
    [/quote]

Actually -- it is good advice. I am diabetic and what my diabetic counselor and nutritionist taught is that it is total carbs per meal, not sugar, that you have to worry about.

On that note, is there any way to take the sugar macro off the report and add something else?
  • Alohathin
    Options
    On that note, is there any way to take the sugar macro off the report and add something else?

Yes. Go to the FOOD tab, then select "settings" from the menu just below that. It will take you to a bunch of drop down menus.