All calories are not created equally!

2»

Replies

• "All calories are not created equally" is a ploy to throw you off your game. I don't eat fried foods, and I love black beans, edamame, stir fry veggies, and lean meats. I'm sleek, super fit, teach aerobics, and can run like the wind. I've noticed over the last two years, since the government is starting to force calories to be placed on menus, that we're hearing this "All calories are not created equal" nonsense. A person struggling with counting calories will end up not counting after hearing this, because they'll think it doesn't work. What does it matter if eating whole foods allows you to lose weight faster than eating process foods? It doesn't matter if you're in the game for life. When you reach your goal, you log to maintain. Do not allow that proteins work this way, fats works this way, carbs work this way nonsense to throw you off your game. You'll lose weight, be fit, and have a trim figure as long as you're counting, and staying within your allotted daily calories.

Noone is saying you wont lose weight or keep it off by logging and staying within the alloted amount. However, weight loss will not be as quick or as close to linear as some would like if your diet is terrible.
    The health benefits of eating properly should go hand in hand with weightloss as being thin doesn't automatically mean you are healthy.
    Personally I need to know how things will effect me as I'm eating for performance over weightloss. If I just ate crud all day I'd lose weight and lose my fitness goals that I cannot possibly acheive unless I'm eating properly.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    You're body sees macronutrients & micronutrients not food names.
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Do you find that you lose weight more easily when you eat a certain type of food even if you keep the calorie count exactly the same? I'd be really interested to hear your response.

Clean will always be better than processed. Your body has to sift through less garbage to get to it's nourishment when it's clean.
  • gvheintz
    gvheintz Posts: 138 Member
    Whiile calories are calories, you can also consider the energy your body uses up to process those calories. For example, if you eat 100 calorie snack pack of oreos versus 100 calories of apple... Your body will exert more energy digesting the apple than the oreos... So the net result of calories your body is as to use or store is not the same. That is how they get the notion of many 0 calorie foods.
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    I've found that I have to eat cleanly to lose weight. I eat between 1,200-1,300 calories and if those calories come from better sources, I don't get hungry throughout the day. If I tried to fit in doritos and cookies... I would be starving haha.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    No, that is not true for me. Too much sodium will put on temporary water weight, but other than that it doesn't matter what I eat. It's all about calories.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,915 Member
    Do you find that you lose weight more easily when you eat a certain type of food even if you keep the calorie count exactly the same? I'd be really interested to hear your response.

Clean will always be better than processed. Your body has to sift through less garbage to get to it's nourishment when it's clean.
    Not really. Body is very efficient at "sifting" through once food and drink are broken down.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member

Actually, I have found, so far, that so long as I stay within my calorie goal, that I continue to lose. Some days I don't hit my macros. I kept going over on carbs, so I changed the settings to put my diet back to 50% carbs. I think the key is honesty and accuracy, not "clean" vs "dirty."
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    A calorie is a calorie. 1 calorie of protein is equal to 1 calorie of carbohydrate is equal to 1 calorie of fat. Calories are measurements of energy. So whether you've ingested or burned 100 calories from protein, carbs or fat, the energy value is the same from each macronutrient.
    How the body utilizes each macronutrient and the hormonal/chemical response involved is where is differs. Everything in our body is a chemical response (including thought), so how your intake is proportioned will dictate how your body responds. Some people are carb sensitive, while others aren't.

IDEA Fitness member

Yay! I get to agree with you today! :happy:
    :smokin:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,915 Member
    I've found that I have to eat cleanly to lose weight. I eat between 1,200-1,300 calories and if those calories come from better sources, I don't get hungry throughout the day. If I tried to fit in doritos and cookies... I would be starving haha.
    That's basic mathematics. The actual VOLUME of food you're eating from "clean" food is MUCH HIGHER than if you ate from processed foods which is why you are less hungry.

Look at it this way:
    McDonald's cheeseburger is 300 calories and weighs about 1lb (give or take)
    To equal that eating lettuce, you'd have to eat several POUNDS of it.

More food in your stomach will result in less hunger.

IDEA Fitness member
  • I've found that I have to eat cleanly to lose weight. I eat between 1,200-1,300 calories and if those calories come from better sources, I don't get hungry throughout the day. If I tried to fit in doritos and cookies... I would be starving haha.
    That's basic mathematics. The actual VOLUME of food you're eating from "clean" food is MUCH HIGHER than if you ate from processed foods which is why you are less hungry.

Look at it this way:
    McDonald's cheeseburger is 300 calories and weighs about 1lb (give or take)
    To equal that eating lettuce, you'd have to eat several POUNDS of it.

More food in your stomach will result in less hunger.

IDEA Fitness member

People don't understand when I say that because of the choices I make, I find it really hard to eat to my calories. I have to force myself to eat sometimes otherwise I know I'll crash before there is food available again. I need to keep my blood sugar as even as I can or I will EAT ALL THE THINGS! I guess a fatty saying they struggle to eat only half of the cals they used to because of the sheer volume of food is a hard thing to swallow.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    ^^^ add some healthy fats.

Like "quick digesting" processed whey? :smile: